Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2017, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
K1 giving me some trouble

Hi there,
first post here so dont hate please!

so i have this problem with my K1...
it is not the same as these 500 threads about aperture ring setrings... but it is related. but hear me out!

so... when i use a quite old manual lens on my pentax K1 the aperture blades dont close... i already tried the folowing:

-setting the setting for aperture rings to 2(instead of 1)
-when not mounted, the apperture ring on the lens works perfectly fine
-using the same lens on my K30 works perfectly fine and the aperture ring works like it is supposed to


please help me!

07-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,891
Might help if we knew what lens you are talking about. Also what settings you are using (M, Tv, Av??)

---------- Post added 07-13-17 at 09:04 AM ----------

And why do people have to add "don't hate"?? Are things really that nasty other places? No haters here.
07-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 34,209
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

One of the more common questions is why the aperture on one's vintage K-mount lens does not close when one rotates the aperture ring. The reason is that it has a fully automatic aperture mechanism. Assuming that "aperture ring" is enabled in the custom setting menu and that your lens does not support aperture control by the body,* it will only stop under the following:
  • At exposure time
  • When using optical DOF preview
  • When the green button is pushed and then only in M mode
I only mentioned that to be sure we are on the same page. If this sounds familiar, it is because your K-1 deals with vintage lenses in a manner similar to your K-30. Since the lens works fine on the K-30, is it possible that you are in a User mode where the aperture ring is not enabled?


Steve

* No "A" contacts or aperture ring off the "A" position

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-13-2017 at 09:46 AM.
07-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,972
QuoteOriginally posted by marxpole Quote
Hi there,
first post here so dont hate please!

so i have this problem with my K1...
it is not the same as these 500 threads about aperture ring setrings... but it is related. but hear me out!

so... when i use a quite old manual lens on my pentax K1 the aperture blades dont close... i already tried the folowing:

-setting the setting for aperture rings to 2(instead of 1)
-when not mounted, the apperture ring on the lens works perfectly fine
-using the same lens on my K30 works perfectly fine and the aperture ring works like it is supposed to


please help me!
The lens only stops down when you go to take the shot. Does that not happen at all, and are you getting incorrect exposure? Does the lens stop down when you press the green button? Also make sure you're in M mode.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,351
Adam, you have to be more proactive in extolling the wonderful articles on this website
Here is the definitive guide to using vintage lenses on Pentax cameras:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Do everything in that guide, and if there is still issues, let us know
07-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Might help if we knew what lens you are talking about. Also what settings you are using (M, Tv, Av??)

---------- Post added 07-13-17 at 09:04 AM ----------

And why do people have to add "don't hate"?? Are things really that nasty other places? No haters here.
hey, thanks for the quick reply!
its a 50mm petri lens 1:2.0
always using M

---------- Post added 07-13-17 at 12:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

One of the more common questions is why the aperture on one's vintage K-mount lens does not close when one rotates the aperture ring. The reason is that it has a fully automatic aperture mechanism. Assuming that "aperture ring" is enabled in the custom setting menu and that your lens does not support aperture control by the body,* it will only stop under the following:
  • At exposure time
  • When using optical DOF preview
  • When the green button is pushed and then only in M mode
I only mentioned that to be sure we are on the same page. If this sounds familiar, it is because your K-1 deals with vintage lenses in a manner similar to your K-30. Since the lens works fine on the K-30, is it possible that you are in a User mode where the aperture ring is not enabled?


Steve

* No "A" contacts or aperture ring off the "A" position

hi, i am using M mode and the blades dont close neither at exposure time, green button thingy nor on dof preview mode. on the k1.
but the k30 it works with green button and at exposure. (no dof mode in k30)

thany you very much.
07-13-2017, 01:41 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 34,209
QuoteOriginally posted by marxpole Quote
its a 50mm petri lens 1:2.0
I believe we may have found the problem.

By any chance does your Petri lens have an anodized or painted mount flange? The K-1 will not do certain operations unless it detects a mount face that conducts electricity. Lens stop-down is on the short list as is catch-in-focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by marxpole Quote
hi, i am using M mode and the blades dont close neither at exposure time, green button thingy nor on dof preview mode. on the k1.
but the k30 it works with green button and at exposure. (no dof mode in k30)
As for the K-30 and DOF preview...the RAW/Fx button has that as a button assignment option. It is a good one.


Steve
07-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,728
Welcome to the forums.

07-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe we may have found the problem.

By any chance does your Petri lens have an anodized or painted mount flange? The K-1 will not do certain operations unless it detects a mount face that conducts electricity. Lens stop-down is on the short list as is catch-in-focus.



As for the K-30 and DOF preview...the RAW/Fx button has that as a button assignment option. It is a good one.


Steve
thank you for your advice! what I still do not understand is why it works perfectly fine on the k30 then? does it not require an electricity conducting mountface?
07-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,905
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe we may have found the problem.

By any chance does your Petri lens have an anodized or painted mount flange? The K-1 will not do certain operations unless it detects a mount face that conducts electricity. Lens stop-down is on the short list as is catch-in-focus.



As for the K-30 and DOF preview...the RAW/Fx button has that as a button assignment option. It is a good one.


Steve

This is just one more reason why I love this place.
07-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 34,209
QuoteOriginally posted by marxpole Quote
thank you for your advice! what I still do not understand is why it works perfectly fine on the k30 then? does it not require an electricity conducting mountface?
The K-30 is quite happy with both conducting and non-conducting mounts. The change happened with the K-3 and continues to current model cameras. Why the conductivity check is done is a mystery to me. Sorry, I did not remember this behavior in the first round of comments


Steve
07-15-2017, 03:28 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K-30 is quite happy with both conducting and non-conducting mounts. The change happened with the K-3 and continues to current model cameras. Why the conductivity check is done is a mystery to me. Sorry, I did not remember this behavior in the first round of comments


Steve
well... ill have to make it conductive somehow then.... thanks!
07-15-2017, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #13
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Original Poster
OMG IT WORKED!
okay first of all, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!
the conducting thing solved it.
so i very uncarefully grinded of the anodized coanting stuff on the lens bajonet thingy off and now the blades close as they should! i would never do this on an expensive lens but sincr it was 10$ i figuered: what the heck lets jyst try

thanks pentaxians!
07-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 41,889
Welcome to the forum, glad you got you issue resolved.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, button, dof, dont, exposure, k-30, k1, k30, lens, mode, post, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medium format...talk me into or out of giving it a whirl. jtkratzer Pentax Medium Format 53 03-29-2017 02:00 PM
TWO K-50s giving me the same error !!! Pentax is no help. HELP!! RedSky Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 06-09-2016 03:12 PM
Got to play with a K1 over the weekend.....Im in trouble now ! Dlanor Sekao Pentax K-1 27 06-08-2016 12:07 PM
Sekonic 358 Giving Me Very Underexposed Images -- Help? reivax Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 10 03-18-2013 08:14 AM
Raynox 150 not giving me better macro :( SirJangly Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 09-24-2010 10:56 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top