Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2017, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #1

K1 giving me some trouble

Hi there,
first post here so dont hate please!

so i have this problem with my K1...
it is not the same as these 500 threads about aperture ring setrings... but it is related. but hear me out!

so... when i use a quite old manual lens on my pentax K1 the aperture blades dont close... i already tried the folowing:

-setting the setting for aperture rings to 2(instead of 1)
-when not mounted, the apperture ring on the lens works perfectly fine
-using the same lens on my K30 works perfectly fine and the aperture ring works like it is supposed to

please help me!

07-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might help if we knew what lens you are talking about. Also what settings you are using (M, Tv, Av??)

---------- Post added 07-13-17 at 09:04 AM ----------

And why do people have to add "don't hate"?? Are things really that nasty other places? No haters here.
07-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

One of the more common questions is why the aperture on one's vintage K-mount lens does not close when one rotates the aperture ring. The reason is that it has a fully automatic aperture mechanism. Assuming that "aperture ring" is enabled in the custom setting menu and that your lens does not support aperture control by the body,* it will only stop under the following:
  • At exposure time
  • When using optical DOF preview
  • When the green button is pushed and then only in M mode
I only mentioned that to be sure we are on the same page. If this sounds familiar, it is because your K-1 deals with vintage lenses in a manner similar to your K-30. Since the lens works fine on the K-30, is it possible that you are in a User mode where the aperture ring is not enabled?

Steve

* No "A" contacts or aperture ring off the "A" position

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-13-2017 at 09:46 AM.
07-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by marxpole Quote
Hi there,
first post here so dont hate please!

so i have this problem with my K1...
it is not the same as these 500 threads about aperture ring setrings... but it is related. but hear me out!

so... when i use a quite old manual lens on my pentax K1 the aperture blades dont close... i already tried the folowing:

-setting the setting for aperture rings to 2(instead of 1)
-when not mounted, the apperture ring on the lens works perfectly fine
-using the same lens on my K30 works perfectly fine and the aperture ring works like it is supposed to

please help me!
The lens only stops down when you go to take the shot. Does that not happen at all, and are you getting incorrect exposure? Does the lens stop down when you press the green button? Also make sure you're in M mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Adam, you have to be more proactive in extolling the wonderful articles on this website
Here is the definitive guide to using vintage lenses on Pentax cameras:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Do everything in that guide, and if there is still issues, let us know
07-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Might help if we knew what lens you are talking about. Also what settings you are using (M, Tv, Av??)

---------- Post added 07-13-17 at 09:04 AM ----------

And why do people have to add "don't hate"?? Are things really that nasty other places? No haters here.
hey, thanks for the quick reply!
its a 50mm petri lens 1:2.0
always using M

---------- Post added 07-13-17 at 12:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

One of the more common questions is why the aperture on one's vintage K-mount lens does not close when one rotates the aperture ring. The reason is that it has a fully automatic aperture mechanism. Assuming that "aperture ring" is enabled in the custom setting menu and that your lens does not support aperture control by the body,* it will only stop under the following:
  • At exposure time
  • When using optical DOF preview
  • When the green button is pushed and then only in M mode
I only mentioned that to be sure we are on the same page. If this sounds familiar, it is because your K-1 deals with vintage lenses in a manner similar to your K-30. Since the lens works fine on the K-30, is it possible that you are in a User mode where the aperture ring is not enabled?

Steve

* No "A" contacts or aperture ring off the "A" position

hi, i am using M mode and the blades dont close neither at exposure time, green button thingy nor on dof preview mode. on the k1.
but the k30 it works with green button and at exposure. (no dof mode in k30)

thany you very much.
07-13-2017, 01:41 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

its a 50mm petri lens 1:2.0
I believe we may have found the problem.

By any chance does your Petri lens have an anodized or painted mount flange? The K-1 will not do certain operations unless it detects a mount face that conducts electricity. Lens stop-down is on the short list as is catch-in-focus.

hi, i am using M mode and the blades dont close neither at exposure time, green button thingy nor on dof preview mode. on the k1.
but the k30 it works with green button and at exposure. (no dof mode in k30)
As for the K-30 and DOF preview...the RAW/Fx button has that as a button assignment option. It is a good one.

Steve

07-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
07-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #9

Original Poster

By any chance does your Petri lens have an anodized or painted mount flange? The K-1 will not do certain operations unless it detects a mount face that conducts electricity. Lens stop-down is on the short list as is catch-in-focus.

As for the K-30 and DOF preview...the RAW/Fx button has that as a button assignment option. It is a good one.

Steve
thank you for your advice! what I still do not understand is why it works perfectly fine on the k30 then? does it not require an electricity conducting mountface?
07-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Steve

This is just one more reason why I love this place.
07-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

thank you for your advice! what I still do not understand is why it works perfectly fine on the k30 then? does it not require an electricity conducting mountface?
The K-30 is quite happy with both conducting and non-conducting mounts. The change happened with the K-3 and continues to current model cameras. Why the conductivity check is done is a mystery to me. Sorry, I did not remember this behavior in the first round of comments

Steve
07-15-2017, 03:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
The K-30 is quite happy with both conducting and non-conducting mounts. The change happened with the K-3 and continues to current model cameras. Why the conductivity check is done is a mystery to me. Sorry, I did not remember this behavior in the first round of comments

Steve
well... ill have to make it conductive somehow then.... thanks!
07-15-2017, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
OMG IT WORKED!
okay first of all, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!
the conducting thing solved it.
so i very uncarefully grinded of the anodized coanting stuff on the lens bajonet thingy off and now the blades close as they should! i would never do this on an expensive lens but sincr it was 10$ i figuered: what the heck lets jyst try

thanks pentaxians!
07-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad you got you issue resolved.