Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good package, Colin. Narrow depth of field doesn't currently suit your great style, but when it does, you can add one of the two DA 35 or 50 primes quite cheaply to your shelf.

07-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Good package, Colin. Narrow depth of field doesn't currently suit your great style, but when it does, you can add one of the two DA 35 or 50 primes quite cheaply to your shelf.
Cheers Clackers

Colin

---------- Post added 07-19-17 at 02:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Hello, Colin, and welcome to Pentax Forums.

You seem to have covered the major focal lengths with your chosen equipment. Based on a lot of personal histories revealed in these pages, I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest that you'll stop there, though. The more you shoot, the more possibilities present themselves, and the more the desire for different, even better gear will grow. But relax – all that is in the future for you.

I reckon you've made an excellent beginning. Enjoy your time here.
Cheers RobA_Oz

Colin

---------- Post added 07-19-17 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 16-85mm is a great choice for general purpose shooting. For action shots the new 55-300mm PLM delivers really fast AF, faster than any other K-mount lens. I'd highly recommend it.

Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens 21277
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Cheers Adam

Colin
07-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by COLIN MORRISON Quote
Hello Wild Mark

I'be been running with a Canon 400d and 18-55, and whetted my appetite for more pixels+variable viewfinder+ wifi essentially. The change to Pentax is a personal historical 'thing'. The 18-55 has been pretty good to me, the 70-300 less so, but I think that maybe operator shortcomings! Flickr site at that petrol emotion | Flickr if you have the time.

Cheers Colin
Very nice flickr photos, good sense of compositional balance with great contrasts tone color lines. Welcome!

I would say stay with quality lenses that fit your use (lenses are forever, digital cameras can be replaced every 5 years or so). The Pentax 16-85 seems to fit you. You'll regret getting something just because of price alone.

And get a good sealed box to store your small collection of gear with lots of silicon dioxide packets. 10 years from now, you don't want to see fungus growing inside your lens elements. Especially if you are doing lots of outdoor work.