Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #1

Hi from a potential Pentax user from Georgia

I'm currently a Fuji X user that's let life get in the way of photography of late, and I'm devoting more time to it again. Wall prints from the X series are great and I love the system, but I would like a bit more resolution so I have more options printing and cropping. Typically the X cameras were used as travel cameras, but lifestyle changes of late mean I'll be working in a more deliberate way now that I travel less. Well, that plus the Sony RX100 is good enough as a carry-around camera that's always accessible, so it's not a choice of "carry a smallish kit when you might be interested in photography" versus a big bag all the time.

What shocked me was that I could finally afford decade-old digital medium format gear, but that a full-frame Pentax made more sense and might offer better quality! Who'da thunk it?

Anyway, I'm here and looking around. If I pull the trigger tomorrow I'll probably have quite a few questions about the lens line-up (I'm thinking the 3 limited lenses plus the 100mm macro), and I hope to be able to contribute once I have things figure out.

Thanks.

07-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I carry my Sony RX-100 most everywhere as my pocket camera. It makes a great complement to my DSLR gear. I've had the K-1 since release, it is the only thing I have ever pre-ordered in my life. Still amazed at the image quality and all the added features that separate Pentax from the others. No system is perfect and all have strong and weak areas, but for me Pentax ticks all the boxes.
If you have questions just ask away. Also take a look at the menu at the top, there is a database there of all Pentax cameras and lenses ever made. Under the articles tab is a lot of information compiled here that might help.
07-23-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The K-1 is a worthy tool that will satisfy the needs you mentioned well. Also, Pentax has a nice selection of lenses to choose from.
07-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi Derek, welcome from the APS-C side of the table! 😄

07-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there's a wealth of information here to help you decide and of course we'll all help you to spend your money too.
07-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
of course we'll all help you to spend your money too.
You know, I don't doubt this for a second.
07-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Derek Zeanah Quote
Anyway, I'm here and looking around. If I pull the trigger tomorrow I'll probably have quite a few questions about the lens line-up (I'm thinking the 3 limited lenses plus the 100mm macro), and I hope to be able to contribute once I have things figure out.
That's good place to start thinking. Unfortunately, from my perspective there isn't a lot beyond that if you are laying out that kind of money.

The new DFAs are all good but expensive for what they are but good lenses. Unless you are willing to go manual focus or zoom you'll have trouble filling in below the 31.

I agree with your MF assessment. I was gung ho for a 645D or 645z before the K-1 came out. I've pretty much decided the K-1 is better for me. I like to shoot hand held and on the fly. The SR of the K-1 is a big deal, especially if you shoot older glass.

Personally, I planned to buy no new glass for my K-1 but discovered I couldn't live without the DFA 28-105. You might want to throw that one into your mix and the DA*200 ƒ2.8 is a great FF lens if you want a bit longer.
07-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.

07-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 100mm macros are great lenses. You'll love using one.
07-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi fellow Georgia photog Did you get it?
07-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #11

Original Poster
It'll be here Friday. Anticipation is high.
07-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Derek Zeanah Quote
It'll be here Friday. Anticipation is high.
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing your pictures!