Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by SkeeterJ Quote
I still have a Tokina 50-200 lens, manual of course, that I used for everything.
That will give you a narrower field of view on a crop-sensor DSLR than you are used to. Without getting into the minefield of equivalence, in simple terms the field of view of a photo taken with a 50mm lens (the wider end of your zoom range) on your K1000 will be roughly the same as if you put a 35mm lens on a crop-sensor DSLR such as the K-5. If you put your 50-200 on say a K-5, in terms of field of view it will be like putting a 75-300mm zoom on your K1000.

If you found yourself shooting a lot at 50mm on the film camera, you might want to look for a wider lens for your DSLR. When you look for a used DSLR, keep an eye out for one that is bundled with a wide-normal zoom. Even the DA 18-55 that was supplied as a kit lens with most DSLRs would prove quite useful. If you find a camera that is bundled with a slightly better zoom, like a Sigma 17-70, so much the better. It's often the cheapest way to buy a lens.

Last edited by Des; 07-24-2017 at 09:02 PM.
07-24-2017, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Not sure if you were referring to my post but just in case I did say " And just to be absolutely sure there is no misunderstanding I am not advocating you get a K-50." My mistake in saying "shutter issues" and not aperture issues. Been a long day in the sun mowing the weeds. The addition of a few adult beverages throughout the day to quench my thirst I'll blame on this senior moment.
Sorry. I didn't mention anyone in my post. It was just my opinion and my experience. K50 is still an amazing camera, can't think of getting rid of this camera. Going to keep using it until it finally sees the light.

Adding a photo that I took, to show what the DA 50 + K50 can do.

07-25-2017, 04:43 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your digital Pentax photography when you get your new body.
07-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

PENTAX K-50 White/Black w/ 18-55mm + 50-200mm Kit Lenses - Shutter Count: 2665

^ Just saw this K-50 with the 2 kit lenses on eBay. Looks dirt cheap. It's missing the charger, though. Seems like it works, but there could be that potential of getting that aperture failure down the road. Even if it does fail, you can still use the KAF4 Pentax DA 55-300mm PLM lens with the latest firmware, since the aperture motor is inside the lens & it doesn't rely on the body's aperture motor. More KAF4 lenses will be on their way, but it's probably going to take a while.

My 2 K-50 bodies haven't had any issues yet. My black one is at about 27,000 shots & my red on is at about 23,000 shots.

07-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Coming from a long time background from the K1000, you might want to look at the K20D and K10D, both have dual dials, so you get to retain the manual feel from a traditional SLR..I think I just saw a K20D on Roberts Camera Ebay store for $150, free S/H with 90 days warranty
07-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

here you go, bunch of good used cameras with 180 days warranty.

oops, didn't post the link lol.

http://usedphotopro.com/products/usedcameras/used-slrs/used-digital-slrs?dir...35&order=price

Last edited by suraswami; 07-25-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: missed posting link
07-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

The K10D Club! - PentaxForums.com - this is our K10D Club. The K10D sells for 130 and up, with the 18-55mm lens. Add a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 for portraits of your great-grandchildren and you will have everything you need, within your budget.

Don't get hyped into the high megapixel wars... 10MP from the K10D is plenty for poster-sized prints.

07-25-2017, 03:49 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
My 2 K-50 bodies haven't had any issues yet. My black one is at about 27,000 shots & my red on is at about 23,000 shots.
I had two K-30 bodies and never had a problem either. I guess most K-30 or K-50 cameras don't, but it's bad news if you do. The question is whether a potential buyer is feeling lucky, and prepared to risk it.

To the OP, one point that won't be obvious, but underlies a number of posts here, is that there is a difference between two broad lines of Pentax APS-C (crop sensor) DSLRs. One line is known as the flagship line: K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5 series, K-3 series. They generally have more robust construction, and are built to last longer. Some have more advanced features than their cheaper contemporaries (e.g. a better system for automatic removal of dust from the sensor). The second line is the consumer line (e.g. K100D series, K200D, K-m, K-x, K-r, K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S1, K-S2, K-70). They have the same sensor as the contemporary flagship (e.g. the K100D series had the same 6mp sensor as the K10D), but were of less robust construction. (It's more complicated than that, both because new consumer models often introduced new or improved features that were not in the contemporary flagship model and because there are models like the K-P that aren't easily classified. But you get the general picture.)

So that's why, if you are looking for a camera that is now 5+ years old, most people are recommending previous flagship models. They were built to last, and there are many that are still going strong.
07-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #24

Original Poster
Ok, I've read through everyone's notes. Things are starting to "come into focus". lol, like you haven't heard that before. Anyway I found the comparison tool and I'm using that to help me understand what y'all are talking about. I'm looking but not quite ready to buy unless I find something extraordinary. I want two lenses for sure. I'm afraid my old manual lenses won't be of much use anymore except for experimentation. NP, time to move forward. Thank you.