Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Connecticut USA

Hello,

I have two Pentax Cameras, my film SLR is a K1000 handed down from my wife who has several film SLRs plus an ist-D, and recently I bought a K100D. Between us we have lots of 'K' lenses from a 17 mm to my 2000 mm Meade telescope. Only the 18-55 mm that came with my DSLR is automatic. My wife prefers objects 12 inches away (she has a Pentax macro), my main interest is astrophotography around 12 million light years away.

Leo

02-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome, we are nieghbors. Well, one state apart plus I was born and raised in Vernon Ct. NIce to meet you and welcome aboard.
02-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll be able to post some pictures taken with your telescope. Sounds like you and your wife are proof that opposites attract!
02-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hello and welcome! Very interesting that both you and your wife are interested in photography, but shoot totally different subjects! Looking forward to seeing photos from both of you

02-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to this forum

This forums is definitely getting very busy

02-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hello and Welcome,

Glad to see another Pentax DSLR user in this forum. Enjoy.

Cheers,

Rene R
02-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Leo, I grew up in Stamford and spent the end of my high school years in Old Lyme, tho I'm now living in NYC. Whereabouts in CT are you? I've a good friend who is an amateur astronomer who used to live in Westport but is now also in NYC. He's always griping about how far he has to drive to get away from light pollution.
Anyways welcome to the forum!

NaCl(still a nutmegger at heart)H2O
02-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
NACLH2O and others who replied,

I've been in Connecticut since age 5, raised in Westport, but was born just over the New York line. Both of my parents were born it CT. I live in Hamden just over the line from New Haven, thus my night sky is heavily light polluted. This is going to be a challenge with the K100D, the skyglow limits my exposures to around 4 minutes at ASA 200, even less at higher speeds. My SBIG Astro Camera is limited only by the stars saturating, not the noise. Of course, it is cooled about 35 C below ambient. I was running the camera at - 40 C/F last night.

I will be taking more trips to dark sites now since the DSLR is more portable since I can operate without a computer. I'm finding the Pentax is "under-represented" in the Astrophotography world. The Nikons and Canons have more support for astro hardware and software. But I'll manage!

My wife has been more active in photography than I. Her first SLR was a Minolta over 25 years ago. My first was the Pentax K1000 she gave me ten years ago, and she promptly bought a replacement from a dealer who still had them in stock. before we met I used a 35mm P&S.

I'm looking forward to learning on this forum.

Leo Taylor

02-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello again Leo, we'll be looking forward to some good "star pics" And yes, Pentax is "under-represented" in almost all photographic endeavors. Right now, because of the greater than anticipated popularity of both the K100D and the K10D, Pentax lenses are in mighty short supply. We are all hoping their new lens factory gets up and running overtime soon! At least you don't have to drive all that far to get to a relatively dark place, here in NYC it's at least an hour before there is a decent reduction in light pollution.

NaCl(but of course there are other benefits)H2O