Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2017, 09:42 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Hi from Germany!

Hello everyone,

as I found the answer to a question in the forums here I decided to register and take full advantage of the knowledge of other
Pentax users as well as help people with problems I can solve.

I have had an *ist DL as my first DSLR and really loved it back then. It always seemed to me as if those 6 mpx cameras had
a sharpness to them that my later models in the megapixel wars never matched. Might have been the lens, though ;-)

I then was a Canon shooter (in private and at work) for more than 10 years. When I started working at a tech news company a few years
ago I sold my Canon 60D equipment as I got a 5D mk III from work. Now we´ll do the switch to mirrorless (Panasonic GH5)
at work and I decided to get a private DSLR again - one that is fun, inexpensive and can be used for simple working tasks, too.

So I bought a used K5 - and what can I say? I feel right at home. Be it the extensive customization options, the light weight but well
made body or the many useful features other camera manufacturers just never even seem to think of...

I only have two complaints really - and they´re minor:
The kit lens (18-55 at least WR) is a shame.
The labelling on the buttons wears off - it is a used camera, yes.. but that´s something I´ve never seen before. It has around 35.000 clicks btw.

That´s it from me - I hope to be of assistance to you and to find some inspiring and helpful thoughts around here!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.

PS. Excellent 1st photograph from you.
08-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day mate, another welcome from down under.

The K5 is a great camera, I've really enjoyed using mine though fortunately the labelling is still intact. I guess once you've got the muscle memory for each of the controls the labelling will not matter so much. And it might be worth keeping an eye on the market place here for some nice primes for sale. Especially the DA Limiteds, they're small but really good performers and will get you multiple focal lengths from 15mm up to 70mm. Hope to see more of your images around here too.

Tas
08-14-2017, 02:10 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, from down under no. 3. That is a nice shot. Not that it is the style of bathroom décor that appeals to me.

---------- Post added 08-14-17 at 07:12 PM -------

08-15-2017, 12:28 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome, now you found us enjoy your time here.
08-15-2017, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thanks and update..

...what I found out is that my muscle memory fares much better with the aperture on the front wheel ;-)
On day 2 with the camera I took some fine macro pictures, although I´m still not sure about some kind of "focus trap" feature...
When i hold the shutter button down and something comes into focus, shouldn´t it release immediately?
I have to admit that I took the picture without continous AF though.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-15-2017, 04:17 AM   #7
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kemistrystorm Quote
although I´m still not sure about some kind of "focus trap" feature...When i hold the shutter button down and something comes into focus, shouldn´t it release immediately?
Here is a link to the Catch In Focus tutorial, hope it helps. Good luck. PS. Excellent macro image.

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

08-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks so much! Didn´t know the word for it, activated it now.
08-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome!

Another advantage of the Pentax system is that you can get some cheap primes like the DA 35 2.4 and 50 1.8 for very little money (compared to other systems) and instantly get a big jump in image quality compared to the kit 18-55 lens, which isn't bad but it's not particularly exciting

And then there's all the other nice glass around, vintage and modern... like the 30 dollar SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 manual focus lens, a true gem for hardly any money at all! And then there's the Limiteds and * (star) lenses when you have the budget...