Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2017, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hey, KS-2 Here, just wanted to say hello!

Hey everyone I bought my KS-2 a few months ago after a long love of photography and finally being financially able to buy a camera! It came with the 2 kit lenses and I recently bought a 43mm! I'm loving this art more and more everyday and all I want to do is shoot! I have so many questions I need answered! I'm really hoping you all are able to help me out!

Mainly what new lenses should I be looking to buy?(I want to do everything)

Here are some shots!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
08-14-2017, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Davey, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Excellent 1st images from you. Good to have you here.
08-14-2017, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #3

How many lenses are you looking to purchase? What is your budget?
08-14-2017, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Looks like you have some nice glass already. Good photos, too!
I would recommend to take photos with the lenses you have for a while, to really learn. You will develop an idea on what kind of lens you need next from what the lenses you currently have lack. For example, maybe you will want a macro lens, or ultra wide, or super telephoto or or or

08-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
How many lenses are you looking to purchase? What is your budget?
Thanks guys! I'm currently looking to replace my 50-200m kit lens and my budget is kinda open, but i guess i wouldn't want to go over 800, but would rather stick around 400-500$ range. thats a bit easier to justify to the fiancee. hahah but ji honestly have no idea what to get, weight isnt really a factor for me(rather bulky guy) and I'm not sure I care too much about length as well as i shoot mainly outside( I live in cook forest, google it)
08-14-2017, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveyJohnson Quote
Thanks guys! I'm currently looking to replace my 50-200m kit lens and my budget is kinda open, but i guess i wouldn't want to go over 800, but would rather stick around 400-500$ range. thats a bit easier to justify to the fiancee. hahah but ji honestly have no idea what to get, weight isnt really a factor for me(rather bulky guy) and I'm not sure I care too much about length as well as i shoot mainly outside( I live in cook forest, google it)
Hard not to recommend the 55-300mm PLM with its lightning-fast AF:

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hard not to recommend the 55-300mm PLM with its lightning-fast AF:

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Def looking into that, now is that the best option vs a tamron or a sigma at the same(or similar focal length)

08-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Def looking into that, now is that the best option vs a tamron or a sigma at the same(or similar focal length)
Yes, the third-party lenses in this category are older and can't really compete except when it comes to price. But the autofocus in the new 55-300mm is what makes it the king of all telephoto lenses for Pentax if you like to shoot action; take a look at this video (toward the end especially):

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yes, the third-party lenses in this category are older and can't really compete except when it comes to price. But the autofocus in the new 55-300mm is what makes it the king of all telephoto lenses for Pentax if you like to shoot action; take a look at this video (toward the end especially):

New vs. Old Pentax 55-300mm Autofocus Test - YouTube
you have convinced me, I'm buying one tonight! also what is good flash options? and how about camera bags!?!
08-15-2017, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Mainly what new lenses should I be looking to buy?(I want to do everything)
Welcome aboard, in answer to your question... the expensive way = all of 'em, sensible way = just what you need.

The way to tell is when you can't get the shot with what you have, then you buy the lens that will do that job.
08-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

you have convinced me, I'm buying one tonight! also what is good flash options? and how about camera bags!?!
I think it would be worth starting a new thread for the flag/bag tips, but check this out (make sure you get both PDFs):

Comprehensive Pentax P-TTL Flash Guide Updated - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Flashes are pretty much an endless topic, but the easiest way would be to start with the features you want.

Adam

08-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also, if you decide to order from B&H or Adorama remember to hit the banners in my signature before you shop, as this will support the forum and you'll be entitled to access to the Marketplace.

Adam

08-16-2017, 12:59 AM   #13

Original Poster
Also, if you decide to order from B&H or Adorama remember to hit the banners in my signature before you shop, as this will support the forum and you'll be entitled to access to the Marketplace.
Noted! I thanks for the assistance! also I just picked up a k1000 from a antiqe shop for 70$ with a 50mm and a 80-200mm and some other stuff. so that's nice to add to my collection, plus the 50-300mm coming on thursday! whoop! i really do need a new bag!
08-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #14

whoop! i really do need a new bag!
Welcome ! Love my K-S2, pretty sure you'll love yours.

I had the same problem. Bought a bag for my camera + 1 lens + accessories because I wanted to tranport it easily... few a weeks after I had 5 lens. The fact you can buy cheap old lenses that are actually good lenses is amazing. It is very addictive too.
08-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

welcome.....and I love the camera even though I have the K3ii and the K-1.....its my favorite.