Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #1

Pentax SLR

I have a friend who wants to sell me a Pentax SLR. He said it's not "digital". Does that mean that it is an older model??? He also has two lenses, that he says are
( 1: 1.3 / 55 and 1: 3.5 / 135 ). If not digital does that mean it uses film, that will need to be developed??? Any idea as to what it, and the lenses would be worth $ ??? Any help or input would be appreciated.

08-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome, yes it would be a film camera. Both those lenses sound like good starters. It depends on what make they are. Also, what is the model of camera and how much is your friend asking for the lot?
08-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, non-digital mean it takes film and that film would need to be developed for you to get any pictures. The 55mm lens is a "normal" lens, meaning that it gives a magnification and perspective similar to the human eye. The 135mm lens is a "moderate" telephoto and provides higher magnification (a little more than 2x) than the 55mm.

Value for film SLRs is highly variable depending on condition, age, and model, though it is safe to say that the price should probably be under $130 USD and maybe quite a bit less. There are exceptions of course. The first that come to mind at higher values are the Pentax LX, MX, and (for some odd reason) the K1000. (The K1000 goes for $180 or more in some markets only...e.g. Seattle and Portland.) Be aware, that any used film camera, unless relatively new or purchased as refurbished from a reputable shop, will likely require service (about $100) to replace light seals and other rubber/foam components as well as to clean, lubricate, and adjust the mechanical and electrical parts.

Steve

BTW...welcome to the forum!

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-22-2008 at 06:42 PM.
08-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcme. Even if the camera is not digital, your new dSLR can use the lenses. That's probably a 55 mm f 1.8 rather than 1.3. The 135mm f/3.5 lens could be a Pentax lens, and if so is very usable on your new dSLR. If the camera is a screw mount Pentax (pre-1975) then you will need to spend another $40 and buy the genuine Pentax adapter to use it on your dSLR.

Pentax made both 55/1.8 and 135/3.5 lenses for long periods of time bracketing the switch to the new bayonet mount (known here as a K mount).

08-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #5

I would say that it's rather 1.2 or 1.4, since they are much closer to 3 on keyboard than 8
Anyway, those are great lenses and will work on any Pentax dSLR. Altough you'll have to use them manual if they're not AF models...
08-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
I would say that it's rather 1.2 or 1.4, since they are much closer to 3 on keyboard than 8
Anyway, those are great lenses and will work on any Pentax dSLR. Altough you'll have to use them manual if they're not AF models...
Hmmm. I did not know that Pentax ever made a 55/1.2. I thought they had switched to 50mm when they got to f/1.4. I'll check out the lens database and correct any incorrect impressions I have.
08-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
According to the m-fortytwo website and the AOHC website, the fastest 55 lens produced was the 1.8 in the M42 mount. There was a K mount 55mm 1.8 also but the 1.2s and 1.4s were all listed as 50mm K mounts according to Bojidar Dimitrov.

CW