Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #1

Getting back into the hobby

My first introduction toPentax was the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic 35mm SLR over 20 years ago. I only usedit for Astrophotography. I bought it at a pawn shop and eventually it broke. Atthe beginning of this year I purchased the Pentax K-50 in order to take betterphotos to post on my hiking website. Since then I have downloaded over 10GB ofvideo tutorials and over a dozen tutorial documents to teach myself how to usethe camera in manual mode. I have the kit lens Pentax 18-55mm and 50-200mm thatcame bundled with the camera. I purchased a Sigma DG 70-300mm lens and justrecently ordered the Pentax DA 50mm f1.8 lens which should arrive later thisweek. I really love this hobby and wish I had stuck with it after my firstcamera broke.

09-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Tewhano Quote
My first introduction toPentax was the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic 35mm SLR over 20 years ago. I only usedit for Astrophotography. I bought it at a pawn shop and eventually it broke. Atthe beginning of this year I purchased the Pentax K-50 in order to take betterphotos to post on my hiking website. Since then I have downloaded over 10GB ofvideo tutorials and over a dozen tutorial documents to teach myself how to usethe camera in manual mode. I have the kit lens Pentax 18-55mm and 50-200mm thatcame bundled with the camera. I purchased a Sigma DG 70-300mm lens and justrecently ordered the Pentax DA 50mm f1.8 lens which should arrive later thisweek. I really love this hobby and wish I had stuck with it after my firstcamera broke.

Welcome to the Forum, looks like you have taken a similar route as I have with your purchases. You'll find the K-50 a great camera to start with and you'll find the DA 50 f1.8 a really good inexpensive lens. Good shooting
09-13-2017, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from the wrong side of heaven, I also started the same route as you, but quickly discovered that the kit lenses were OK but i needed some good glass to make the K50 shine. I purchased the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 and never turned back! Ebola Virus has nothing on the bug you will get once you start shooting with Pentax gear
6 Days Ago   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that you find here.

6 Days Ago   #5
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Tewhano, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Please don't hesitate to ask for any help or advice you may need, as the members here are very happy to assist. Good to have you here.
6 Days Ago   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. I usually compose my post in MS Word and then paste it into forums. I see this site doesn’t handle EOL characters and many of the words ran together. I’ll have to remember that so I don’t appear stupid.
6 Days Ago   #7
Site Supporter

Thank you for your replies. I usually compose my post in MS Word and then paste it into forums. I see this site doesnít handle EOL characters and many of the words ran together. Iíll have to remember that so I donít appear stupid.
Never crossed my mind
3 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!! My first Pentax was a K-50 and I absolutely loved it. I still post photos that I have in the archives now and then. Hope you enjoy your stay here!