09-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You don't mean POS, that's something else entirely

09-25-2017, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
You don't mean POS, that's something else entirely
Yes I realised that. Posting late at night without engaging ze brain fully not a great idea.
09-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've pointed numerous people to Bridge Cameras for those very reasons. There are some good choices out there, and the people have been quite satisfied.
09-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I've pointed numerous people to Bridge Cameras for those very reasons. There are some good choices out there, and the people have been quite satisfied.
It is just sad that there is somewhat of a prejudice towards anything but a DSLR, that any thing other is lesser. Which is a great pity. The test should be the final photo, not what you took it with.

09-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GummyBear Quote
LOL yes sorry total brainfart last night. I did mean P&S ... no idea what I was thinking.
Ya, I called "Chimping" "monkey peeking" once....
I got the same response... "the term is 'chimping' but 'monkey peeking' works too."

My XG-1 is the successor to the X-5 and I quite enjoy having it when I take it out. I really miss the tilt screen though for low angle macro. I might like an X-5 even more.
Mushrooms: XG-1 to the rescue - PentaxForums.com

I know of two other forum users who use this type of camera occasionally. We are a rare breed. If we get a few more we could start a club or something.
09-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I got the same response... "the term is 'chimping' but 'monkey peeking' works too."

My XG-1 is the successor to the X-5 and I quite enjoy having it when I take it out. I really miss the tilt screen though for low angle macro. I might like an X-5 even more.

I know of two other forum users who use this type of camera occasionally. We are a rare breed. If we get a few more we could start a club or something.
Claire is eligible for that club with her X-5. I still enjoy the bigger camera more, but we use them both at the same time happily.
10-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I have been through the wringer with cameras. The last time I was as happy as I am now was with a Nikon L100. Stupid me gave it to my mom when I 'upgraded' and have done nothing but search for another 'happy' camera since then. I ended up thinking bigger was better which was how I ended up with the D3100 (still have it actually), with a 90mm prime with macro lens attachments (because macro is where my little heart is happiest, I love all the small things in the world that would otherwise go unnoticed), and while I took some good pictures with the camera I just wasn't excited with it. I ended up practically stopping all photography for the last 2 years. Sold the Canon (the D3100 was supposed to replace the Canon) and had a bit of spare cash and without a great deal of hope went shopping. Found the X-5, it's practically brand new, and was a very good price, absolutely loved the shots I saw online that had been taken with it and decided that I can't possibly do worse than not taking any photos at all. And I'm so glad I leaped. I am SO happy with the camera. I absolutely love taking photos with it. It is everything I want in a camera and produces beautiful richly coloured images that I'm still jumping up and down with joy about.

My daughter has been loving the tone and colour and depth of other Pentax images we've been seeing so now I have to figure out how to buy her a Pentax DSLR, but that is going to take some penny saving as they are somewhat pricey and you guys don't seem to sell your equipment (gee I wonder why LOL I won't be selling either).

If we can make a little corner for our bridging cameras / P&S I'd be more than happy to join in the fun. Leave those guys with their big cameras and bags and bags of lenses to do their thing ... while they are still changing lenses we've got the shot and moved on already

10-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I've never found used Pentax DSLRs to be difficult to find, even in Spain where they have only a tiny portion of the market.
10-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've never found used Pentax DSLRs to be difficult to find, even in Spain where they have only a tiny portion of the market.
Well there are only 12 on sale on the local gumtree listing right now - of which 6 are film cameras. So they are pretty thin on the ground here.