Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2017, 11:19 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Ditched the Canon, bought a Pentax.

So not to bore you with the long saga, but I've been around the mulberry bush for some time now looking for a camera that 'fits'. Had a Nikon, outgrew it, replaced it with a Canon - NOT a good choice - went back to Nikon and bought a DSLR and discovered that I passionately hate the hassle of changing lenses and somehow you never have the right lens on the camera for the photo that presents itself. No time to open the bag, get the new lens out, take the old lens off, put the new lens on, put the old lens away, without dropping anything, getting dirt / sand / dust / whatever in or on anything important in time to take the photo - bird, bug, whatever has moved, left, gone, died ...

Soooo decided I needed to actually go back to a POS (yeah I know but it SUITS me and that is the important thing) BUT all the new POS cameras have disgusting zooms which you can't use because you can't handhold that much zoom and at the other end the macro goes for a loop because you can't have good macro and 40x / 50x / 60x zoom in the same lens. Soooooo that leaves me looking for an older camera, not much used, that has a reasonable zoom and a decent macro because I want to be able go from that bug on the ground to the bird in the bush with some speed and be able to get both shots before I turn old and grey. (Ok I am already grey but that's my secret and I ain't telling).

MUCH searching later ... much, much, much, much searching later ... I found the X5, actually hadn't even considered a Pentax as I thought it way out of my price range and didn't know they made a POS type camera - hey ho you live and learn - and it was ... reasonable zoom, decent megapixels - enough to be an improvement on what I have without being ridiculous and over-crowding the sensor - and from what I can see a really decent macro and super-macro function.

Only just got it and played with it enough to know I like what I've seen so far. Hopefully will be posting some pics soon.

09-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I think you meant P&S (Point and Shoot), but POS works...
09-22-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GummyBear Quote
didn't know they made a POS type camera
Welcome to PF. I'm glad you found and like the X5; I've not heard many report their experiences here. I'm guessing you mean a "point-and-shoot" which is the term generally referred to as a fixed lens, predominantly automatic camera. I've seen POS referred to on occasion as "point of sale" for capturing marketing data, and a few other meanings. Again, welcome aboard!
09-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, enjoy your quest in minimum gear photography.

09-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
09-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to the dark side
09-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome! I can't actually say what I thought was meant by "POS" but I figured out what you meant pretty quickly. I'm glad you were able to find equipment that meets your needs. Once that is achieved it's time for happy shooting!
09-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia GB, and welcome to the Pentax forums. The photography, and not the camera, is what matters most to me. Good to have you here.

09-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. My wife bought an X-5 two years ago. Great little camera in her hands. Island trip in August, we dumped all our images into a folder and then selected the ones we liked best without regard to who took it with what. [RED FACE ON] of 29 images in the final slide show, she had 17. So the X-5 "out performed?" the K-3 17 to 12. [HEAD HANGING DOWN]. Of course it might have something to do with her photographic "eye".
09-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #10
PJ1
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. I am sure you will find some useful stuff here. The superzoom cameras have a lot to recommend them for convenience. I have only ever heard good things about the X-5.
09-22-2017, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
LOL yes sorry total brainfart last night. I did mean P&S ... no idea what I was thinking.

The 'problem' as I have discovered is the way I take photos. I go for a walk. I see an interesting flower ... ooh, I see a bug on the flower ... double ooh, but then behind me I hear a bird call ... whip around ... oh wow isn't he pretty .... no time to change lenses and fart about adjusting things. I need to be able flick a button and zip over to zoom to snap the bird before he flies off, and then turn around and finish getting nice macros of the bug before it does the same thing. I also live a semi-arid region - lots of dust! Messing about with changing lenses while out and about NOT a good idea. I have valiantly tried for 3 years now with the D3100 - yes I like the slightly better quality pictures of the DSLR. I might actually miss the 90mm prime which took superb macros (Horrible DOF but hey you can't have everything) but I won't miss struggling with the narrow depth of field to keep the right bits of the bug in focus while trying to keep my balance in some awkward position bum up, head down, twisted round to get under the bush at the right angle.

At the end of it all I want to be free to take photos, the kind of photos I like, and I am tired of the stress of trying to make equipment work for me that just doesn't do what I need the way I need it. I haven't taken any photos in the last year, and very few I liked enough to keep in the two years before that, last night - in horrible light and a roaring gale I took 2 photos of my dog that I like, and 2 photos of random flowers in my garden that I like, and one that made me smile so wide with sheer joy ... I haven't taken anything like that in so long and I am looking forward to going out today with my camera so much.

And that is really what it is all about isn't it - ENJOYING taking photos.

This is the photo I took last night that made me so happy. Given the conditions - just being able to get to this point on about my 10th photo with the camera - I'm a happy chappy!
Attached Images

09-22-2017, 11:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax land. The important thing is to get results you're happy with and enjoy the process, the latter being something that Pentax is particularly good at providing (due to good design).

Pentax don't make P&S cameras any more, not since Ricoh took over and the compact camera market went into the toilet, but the X5 is quite recent and probably one of the very best in that segment.
09-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #13

Original Poster
The X-5 is discontinued, and even with our considerable delay in getting new models here it is no longer available new but I have found a secondhand one that is barely used - shuttercount is 2560 and the camera itself looks absolutely brand new. But the age of the model isn't important - once I settled on what I was looking for - decent but not insane zoom that can still be handheld at the far end, and a decent macro at the other end - I knew that I was looking for an older model camera because all the new ones are superzoom crazy. And it's just crazy. Even with the stabilization they cram in to try fix the handshake problem it is just physically impossible to hold the camera steady at more than 400mm and even that is pushing it. Not to mention that between the overcrowding of the sensor with gazillions of mega-pixels and the loss of light at that level of zoom - you are looking a fuzzy pics anyway. Sometimes I think the camera companies aren't doing anyone any favours by catering to the demand for more. But that is a whole other discussion.
09-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter

welcome!
09-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I had an awesome day today shooting pics at a model aeroplane show. I am in seventh heaven.