Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2017, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #1

New member!

Hi everyone! I've just bought my very first DSLR camera, I got a Pentax k3 with a Pentax 18-135 lens, and a sigma 70-300 DG macro. It's been a steep learning curve but I'm getting there. Any advice on good everyday, walk around lenses that would suit my camera would be appreciated thanks. I look forward to talking to you all 😀

09-29-2017, 01:59 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from another Aussie Suzie, and welcome to the Pentax forums. The 18-135 paired with the K-3 is a great combo as a walk around kit.
Good to have you here.
09-29-2017, 03:07 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Suzie. Lots of Aussies here. The 18-135 gives you good coverage. If you want something smaller as a walk around lens there are others here who will have ideas. Depending on what I am doing I use either a Pentax 18-55 (the kit lens) or a Sigma 24-60/f2.8. Both are plenty good enough for me. (I got the Sigma 24-60 when CR Kennedy had it for $249. It is currently listed at $667)
09-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That 18-135 is very versatile, you'll get a lot of use out of it.

I'd suggest looking for used copies of two pancake lenses, the 21 and 40mm. I like the 21 better for walkaround, it can be used close for people or farther for landscape etc. The 40 is less expensive, but has a tighter FOV - try those FLs on your 18-135 to get an idea. The pancakes are a load of fun and have outstanding IQ.

09-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Suzie, lots of Brits too!

What you want for a walk around will depend on what range you're happy with. I use a 20-40 on my K-3II, which is a spectacular lens and really makes the best of the 24MP sensor, but it's not inexpensive. The small zoom range makes for fewer optical compromises so that it behaves like a bag of primes. The small range may not suit however, so that the 18-135 or 16-85 would then come into their own; I have no experience with these lenses. Most of my shooting is in the 20-40 range but will strap on the fisheye or 55-300 if I need to. For ultimate compactness in a walk around, you might think about a fixed focal length lens and zoom with your feet!

Whatever you decide on. The K-3 is a terrific camera that will serve you well.
09-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome from an expatriate Aussie.

QuoteOriginally posted by Suzie Quote
Any advice on good everyday, walk around lenses that would suit my camera would be appreciated thanks.
Your 18-135 is a good start. Any further recommendation I would give is based heavily on where you are and what you are doing on your walkarounds. For example, last time I was in Sydney with my family, my K-5 and 18-135 were the go-to for almost everything with one exception: I took the 15mm f/4 Limited for the ships at the maritime museum. Gotta have wide angle when you go inside those. On my last visit to Melbourne, I'd just completed my collection of the Limited-series DA primes, so I brought them with me to try out and the 21 and 40 got most of the on-camera time in the CBD. Out in the country (e.g. some of the large towns in Gippsland), I'd take the 18-135 for a one-lens solution any day. Down at the beach? Queensland or NT? Snow? Gotta be WR; 18-135 is the go-to.

Shoot with your 18-135 for a while, and you'll gradually get a feel for the focal lengths at which most of your shots are clustering. Then you can think about spending money on specific lenses of a particular focal length. The two lenses you have right now will probably cover 99% of your needs for some time to come, and it's the shots you have trouble getting that will clue you in to where your money needs to go.

First, though, I'd buy a good tripod and a decent swivel-head flash.
09-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard Suzie. Advice you'll find aplenty here, and commonly different advice from different respondents, which means you can pick and choose and finally get the suggestion you wanted in the first place.
The 18-135mm is a very good lens that could keep you happy a lifetime. If you want to go longer, for some wildlife, the 55-300mm is better than it should be for the modest price. If you want to go wider, the 15mm is outstanding and tiny. If you want super-wide, the 10-17mm fish eye is fun and you can either keep the barrel distortion or remove it almost completely with Lightroom.

10-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, remember the learning is part of the fun bit too.