Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

Hello from a Minolta addict

i just acquired an early 8 element Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens for a song and it is gorgeous. I had no idea the quality of Pentax lenses until I researched this lens. I do not have any Pentax cameras but I am going to get an adapter to fit my SRT 101. It appears this lens is better thought of than a Minolta 1.4 lens. I've been a camera nut for decades and am beginning to thin out the collection. Am considering a black Spotmatic F, because my SRT 101 and XE-7 are both black.
Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be welcome. Thank you

10-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia weaver, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Pentax equipment has been underestimated for years, so it's great that you have
" seen the light " . A drawback with using adapters is that the image quality is reduced, so to get the full magic out of your lens you will need a Pentax camera body. Good to have you aboard.
10-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by weaver535i Quote
i just acquired an early 8 element Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens for a song and it is gorgeous. I had no idea the quality of Pentax lenses until I researched this lens. I do not have any Pentax cameras but I am going to get an adapter to fit my SRT 101. It appears this lens is better thought of than a Minolta 1.4 lens. I've been a camera nut for decades and am beginning to thin out the collection. Am considering a black Spotmatic F, because my SRT 101 and XE-7 are both black.
Any words of wisdom or encouragement would be welcome. Thank you
The M42 to Minolta adapter I have has a flange that prevents using S-M-C or SMC Takumars -- so the Spotmatic F is a good choice.
10-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome, Minolta addict, from a former Minolta user (I shot a Dynax 3xi until I realised that the automatic functions, much as they took great pictures, were making me lazy. Then I bought a manual-focus Pentax camera, because of all the ones in the store at the time, it was the smallest, simplest, lightest and cheapest.)

That 8-element 50/1.4 was supposedly designed specifically to topple the Zeiss Planars from the top of the lens leaderboards, which it did. But once they had enough of a run out for it to qualify as a production lens, they switched to the 7 element design (the radioactive one with the thoriated rear elements) because they were making a loss on every copy!

However you choose to do it, enjoy your new lens.

10-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Welcome, Minolta addict, from a former Minolta user (I shot a Dynax 3xi until I realised that the automatic functions, much as they took great pictures, were making me lazy. Then I bought a manual-focus Pentax camera, because of all the ones in the store at the time, it was the smallest, simplest, lightest and cheapest.)

That 8-element 50/1.4 was supposedly designed specifically to topple the Zeiss Planars from the top of the lens leaderboards, which it did. But once they had enough of a run out for it to qualify as a production lens, they switched to the 7 element design (the radioactive one with the thoriated rear elements) because they were making a loss on every copy!

However you choose to do it, enjoy your new lens.
The radioactive (7 element) ones are still really good, though
10-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have a few SRT cameras but my Minolta 50mm is an f/1.7. I'd love a 1.4 but haven't found one at a decent price yet, plus the 1.7 is just superb. Everything I've read about the Minolta f/1.4 lenses suggest that they're very good indeed, so I'm surprised at your findings that the Tak 50/1.4 is better thought-of.

I've also just bought an original M42 to SR mount adapter (it's called the P-adapter and there are quite a few on ebay, though mostly over-priced) but I haven't used it yet.

Any of the Spotmatics will be very, very similar to the SRT Minolta cameras. They're practically the same cameras but with different mounts.
10-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
The radioactive (7 element) ones are still really good, though
Why do you think there's a red lens in my signature line?

10-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Dad's a Minolta guy, and has some great glass from back in the late 70s. He went Sony to keep the lineage, but it's not as easy using manual on those lower-end Alphas as it is with our K-mounts. It's not impossible, but it does take a lot more work.

Welcome to the clubhouse!
10-10-2017, 05:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The 8 element Takumar 50mm f/1.4 is becoming the stuff of legend. Unfortunately sellers have wised up to this and prices are on the rise. Sounds like you got lucky!
10-10-2017, 05:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The 8 element Takumar 50mm f/1.4 is becoming the stuff of legend. Unfortunately sellers have wised up to this and prices are on the rise. Sounds like you got lucky!
10-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to both the forum and photography the Pentax way.