Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #1

Largest exhibition-quality prints from a K10D

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the largest print size with great quality that they have got up to with a K10D? I understand the precepts around optimising it via exposure, lens etc. I'd like to go in the region of 30 x 20 inches and wondered if I needed to upgrade my body to do that..?

Thanks!

10-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stephentaylor430 Quote
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the largest print size with great quality that they have got up to with a K10D? I understand the precepts around optimising it via exposure, lens etc. I'd like to go in the region of 30 x 20 inches and wondered if I needed to upgrade my body to do that..?

Thanks!
Ive not print larger than 8x10 from the 10D but some are cropped and looked good. I have printer 48x36 from the 20D with acceptable (good) results. Therefore, even though the 20D is 14mp verses the 10D 10mp I would expect you to be able to get a quality 20x30 from the 10D.
I think it is worth a try.
Andy
10-10-2017, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Answer is: it depends.
Are you printing on paper, canvas or metal? Viewing distance that you want the work to look good at? The further away the less resolution is required to let the image still look acceptable.

K10D is 2590 x 3870 so at 100dpi you can print on canvas with good results up to 26 x 38" At 200dpi that drops to 13 x 19. At 300dpi you drop to 8 x 12ish. You will get many other opinions but for my work I want to see 300 dpi on metal, at least 200 dpi for paper and can get away with 100 dpi for canvas. But those are just rules of thumb and include good sharpening and other work on the image. And it depends on the image itself some will print just fine at a lower resolution others show flaws very quickly.

If I was printing on a regular basis @ 20 x 30 I would want at least a K-3 but that's just my opinion.
10-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have shown several K-10 shots in my exhibitions printed at 40cm x 60cm.
As with any exhibition print, it takes a bit of tweaking in post processing. In addition to the usual adjustments I have increased the pixel count somewhat. This of course does not add any information to the picture, but in some cases it improves the perceived image quality. In Photoshop this is fairly easy to do.
In practice the result is indistinguishable from K-5 or K-3 shots provided the original image is a good one.

10-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In its listing on the net the description of the K10D says "10.2-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 18 x 24-inch prints" which may be interpreted as sort of a general statement. If you were planning on doing the 20 x 30 from 100 or 200 ISO images, they might not look terrible, but if you are looking at having that enlargement option on a regular basis, I would agree with an earlier post that the K-3 or later may be a good next step. K-5IIS images are great, but if you are upgrading and want some of the newer features and the ability to use the newer lenses, the K-3 (24 mp) or later may be the way to go.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-10-2017 at 05:41 PM.
10-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
In its listing on the net the description of the K10D says "10.2-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 18 x 24-inch prints" which may be interpreted as sort of a general statement. If you were planning on doing the 20 x 30 from 100 or 200 ISO images, they might not look terrible, but if you are looking at having that enlargement option on a regular basis, I would agree with an earlier post that the K-3 or later may be a good next step. K-5IIS images are great, but if you are upgrading and want some of the newer features and the ability to use the newer lenses, the K-3 (24 mp) or later may be the way to go.
I have to say that we have done many 40x32 prints from adobe Elements on our hp printer from 20D, k01, and k5 on matt photo paper and they have been very successful. I actually would have a hard time seeing that much difference between my 16mp prints vs my k-3ii prints. I dont think a k-3 is necessary for large artistic prints that are acceptable for display.
10-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a 20x30 from my K10D hanging above my fireplace. I did it years ago just to see how good it would be. I was amazed then and am still today at the quality of the print. I wouldn’t hesitate to do another.
10-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the various replies. So, for me, based on those replies, decision made - I have no need to replace my K10D just yet... so I'm going to spend my money on more glass...

10-11-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks to all for the various replies. So, for me, based on those replies, decision made - I have no need to replace my K10D just yet... so I'm going to spend my money on more glass...
You might want to do test print of one of your better images, just to see what you think.

My work has tended to follow jatrax's guideline above, but my working theory has always been, if you like an image, print it at the size you want to see it. I have 4x6 prints printed at 72 DPI that have come out acceptably sharp. Not every image is about being razor sharp. Many landscape images can be good at very low DPIs as long as you upscale to 300 or 360 DPI with average or better scaling software.
10-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with Norm, do some test prints and see what they look like. And get other opinions from people who can be objective, (not friends and relatives). There is a big difference between what is acceptable for personal display of an image that has meaning to you versus a professional exhibition. I have an image taken with an old Coolpix P&S years ago that I have printed successfully up to 11x14 and it continues to hang in my house because it has meaning for me. But if I compare that print with something from the K-3 or K-1 it is obvious the quality is not the same. For my personal use it is great, but it is not something I want hanging in a gallery or would show at an art show.

Your original question was: "Largest Exhibition-Quality Prints". In my humble opinion that is going to be 11 x 14 for the K10D. If you want to print 20 x 30 on a regular basis you need more pixels. I'm glad your decision is made but I do not understand it. Do some test prints before you make that decision and I think it will be different.
10-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I agree with Norm, do some test prints and see what they look like. And get other opinions from people who can be objective, (not friends and relatives). There is a big difference between what is acceptable for personal display of an image that has meaning to you versus a professional exhibition. I have an image taken with an old Coolpix P&S years ago that I have printed successfully up to 11x14 and it continues to hang in my house because it has meaning for me. But if I compare that print with something from the K-3 or K-1 it is obvious the quality is not the same. For my personal use it is great, but it is not something I want hanging in a gallery or would show at an art show.

Your original question was: "Largest Exhibition-Quality Prints". In my humble opinion that is going to be 11 x 14 for the K10D. If you want to print 20 x 30 on a regular basis you need more pixels. I'm glad your decision is made but I do not understand it. Do some test prints before you make that decision and I think it will be different.
I agree with this also, we exhibited a bit of work taken with a K20D, but almost all is taken with a K-5 or later. After getting the K-5 we didn't even like most ot our K20D images, (but a few people still bought them anyway.)
10-11-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

It depends on who you ask... personally I'd have no issues with printing 20x30 from my K10D because I've had very good results from a 7.2MP camera

This site says 10MP+ gets the highest quality rating for 20x30 prints. Costco recommended is 8+MP. But then others like Dry Creek Photo, say that 9000x6000 is the minimum recommended for 20"x30". That's 54MP. So for them, even the 645Z isn't good enough for 20x30.

It just proves that whatever you think, you can probably find someone on the internet that agrees with you

Regarding keeping the K10D, I'm happy with mine, I am happiest with it than with any other camera I've shot with at ISO 100. But I also added a more modern entry level camera as a backup and for low light/better AF situations. First I had a K-r which I bought and sold for the same price (150 dollars). I was mostly happy with the K-r but last year I got a used K-S1 for 240 dollars, for better AF and a better viewfinder. So for the price of a lens, you can have a backup body which considering how old the K10D is getting, is probably a smart move. It doesn't have to be a K-3, there's plenty of Pentax bodies 16MP and over that would work very well for a backup to the fantastic K10D And who knows, you might end up liking the new camera better and then the K10D becomes the backup... for those of us on a budget, I think that's a very workable solution. For those with a large budget, they can just get a K-1
10-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I don't think you will have any issues with that print size and the K10D.