Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbearfeet Quote
Okay, there is a used K3 on B&H for just under $600, body only

Adorama has none!

Is B&H a trusted site? It comes with a 90day used warranty.

I think I am def going to go with the 55-300.... but im going to read about it more and the brand of lens options. And one more lens yet to be determined haha

Thank you everyone soooo much his has been such a great help, can't wait to find more threads to help in my adventures!
Hmm, Why not spend a small amount extra for a brand new K-3 II? 600 is pretty steep for a potentially 3-year-old camera and ninety day warranty. You can get the K-3 II brand new from B&H for 850 with a free battery grip. The battery grip can be sold for eighty bucks and now you have a brand new camera with a real warranty for a small amount extra.

Add an 18-135 used for 250 and a FA 50mm 1.4 used for 150-200 and you have a great kit well under budget.

10-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #32

I am interested in buying a new or used K3. I believe my mind is made up on the body style, but looking for lenses...I am brand new to these types of cameras in general and while not entirely new to photography, I def need to brush up on all this terminology!

Basically a total noob so Hi!
I just got a K3ii and got the Pentax 100mm Macro. Best decision ever. I could take a lifetime of pictures with just that lens and not get bored with it. I can't imagine a better lens for the money.

Have fun!!!!
10-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #33
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mudcat314 Quote
I just got a K3ii and got the Pentax 100mm Macro. Best decision ever. I could take a lifetime of pictures with just that lens and not get bored with it. I can't imagine a better lens for the money.

Have fun!!!!
Welcome to you too @Mudcat314

The DFA 100 is a wonderful lens, and it's great that you are enjoying it so much. I love mine too, not just for macro but for landscapes, animal photos and other things.

Only thing I'd say is that with a total budget of $2k there might not be room enough for the DFA 100, after the OP gets a body, wide-normal/walkaround zoom (e.g. DA 16-85, DA 18-135 or Tamron 17-50), a telephoto lens (surely one of the DA 55-300 models), flash, tripod, spare battery, memory cards, bag, maybe CP-L filter(s). If there's room for a prime after all that, it would probably be something more affordable like the DA 35 f2.4 or one of the many good cheap 50s. But then Normhead and Kozlok have fitted the 100 in the budget - and if it can be done, great.

Last edited by Des; 10-15-2017 at 04:03 PM.
10-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #34

Original Poster
would anyone trust buying from ebay? I see a lot of cameras but they are shipping from Japan. Adorama and b&h do not have any K3s!!!

10-15-2017, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
. . . The DFA 100 is a wonderful lens, and it's great that you are enjoying it so much. I love mine too, not just for macro but for landscapes, animal photos and other things.

. . . with a total budget of $2k there might not be room enough for the DFA 100, after the OP gets a body, wide-normal/walkaround zoom (e.g. DA 16-85, DA 18-135 or Tamron 17-50), a telephoto lens (surely one of the DA 55-300 models), flash, tripod, spare battery, bag, CP-L filter(s).
you never know what might be possible if you look and are willing to adjust from the " latest and greatest "

I too love my D FA 100 mm macro which I found " experienced " via a member in the market place. for example, if all you are looking for is the " glass ":

" The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades.

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

you can find " bargains " which can allow you to " stretch " your dollars so you can fund multiple lenses.

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-15-2017 at 02:39 PM.
10-15-2017, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's important to note that for actual macro efforts you can use the manual focus macro lenses just as well if not easier.
10-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

would anyone trust buying from ebay? I see a lot of cameras but they are shipping from Japan. Adorama and b&h do not have any K3s!!!
I have had little problem with EBAY but then I don't buy from sellers who are not from the US.

nothing against others but I am uncertain about any import duties on items coming in from Europe or other parts of the world.

unless there is any real hurry, you may want to take your time and look at the Market Place here or KEH.com or Adorama or B&H

perhaps phone calls to them might get you info which has not made it to the web yet?

10-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Hmm, Why not spend a small amount extra for a brand new K-3 II? 600 is pretty steep for a potentially 3-year-old camera and ninety day warranty. You can get the K-3 II brand new from B&H for 850 with a free battery grip. The battery grip can be sold for eighty bucks and now you have a brand new camera with a real warranty for a small amount extra. . . .
If the OP would decide to act now and contact B & H

and not wait for an experienced K 3 or K 3 II to show up,

I would recommend that the OP call them and find out if the battery grip can be returned for refund or credit. I would also check whether an extra battery is included with the grip.

I like my battery grip, but not all do, it gives me the ability to use an insert with 6 AA batteries in a pinch, and store an SD card with the " normal " insert as well.
10-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
If the OP would decide to act now and contact B & H

and not wait for an experienced K 3 or K 3 II to show up,

I would recommend that the OP call them and find out if the battery grip can be returned for refund or credit. I would also check whether an extra battery is included with the grip.

I like my battery grip, but not all do, it gives me the ability to use an insert with 6 AA batteries in a pinch, and store an SD card with the " normal " insert as well.
I don't think the battery grip comes with an extra battery. Mine certainly didn't. I think OP would get more money selling the brand new battery grip second hand rather than trying to get credit from B&H for what is a bundle accessory (The K-3 II with battery grip is only a few dollars more than the body by itself).
10-16-2017, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on your choice of the K3. I have one and it is a very fine camera. I would start with a standard range zoom, say the 18-55mm and see how you get on. You will find that you are using one area of the zoom range far more than the others. You can then buy a quality prime lens that matches the focal length that suits you. I strongly recommend you shoot in RAW rather than Jpeg, as the RAW images can easily be processed in camera for contrast, sharpness, brightness and hue, so you get the look you want exactly without bothering to go down the time consuming route of the photo editing programs.I found the various Jpeg options on the K3 inconsistent in their output. Once you get more confident with your camera by all means start playing with editing software on your computer if you have the inclination. It is also worth spending bit extra and getting a battery grip, as this greatly helps with handling and extends battery life.
If you find the various functions available on the K3 somewhat daunting, I recommend you check out the Chelsea and Tony Northrop Pentax KS-2 tutorial on YouTube. It is very in depth and useful. I know it is a different camera but the settings are pretty much the same.
Any other queries or problems you may have, all you need do is ask on this forum. I have done so a few times and had responses pretty quickly, although some of the contributors struggle to stay on point!
10-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #41

Original Poster
Go figure that I would want a camera that is out of stock on every website recommended to me! (ones at a used price) I know that there are other bodies out there but I am set on K3, so I will find you! Just trying to find one at a lower price but if not I will just have to bite the bullet and make the full price purchase!
10-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #42
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that there are other bodies out there but I am set on K3, so I will find you! Just trying to find one at a lower price but if not I will just have to bite the bullet and make the full price purchase!
Pentax K-3 Silver with D-BG5 Grip - PentaxForums.com And this from one of the legendary photographers of the forum.

Keep looking in the forum marketplace as they come up fairly often. Or you can put a post in the "Wanted" section.

Last edited by Des; 10-16-2017 at 01:26 PM.
10-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had almost no luck with Ebay. The items are overly hyped and poorly documented - bad pictures, etc. I have returned a few items and kept a few but even the ones I kept felt like they didn't live up to the claims. The marketplace on this site has NEVER disappointed me.
10-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Pentax K-3 Silver with D-BG5 Grip - PentaxForums.com And this from one of the legendary photographers of the forum.

Keep looking in the forum marketplace as they come up fairly often. Or you can put a post in the "Wanted" section.

my only concern is that problem that showed up with the sticking shutter, spending the amount of money im about to spend, and this being my first real real camera I am worried about that being an issue I have to deal with as a newbie learning on a possible problem camera. I have an old nikon film camera that has a sticking shutter issue and its like ya never know when you will get over exposed photos!

I did contact him a couple days ago though but I have not heard anything.
10-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #45
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my only concern is that problem that showed up with the sticking shutter, spending the amount of money im about to spend, and this being my first real real camera I am worried about that being an issue I have to deal with as a newbie learning on a possible problem camera. I have an old nikon film camera that has a sticking shutter issue and its like ya never know when you will get over exposed photos!

I did contact him a couple days ago though but I have not heard anything.
Personally I think Kameko is just making absolutely full disclosure of a temporary issue encountered a year ago. She is only talking about the shutter sticking on continuous shooting, which might, at worst, mean it takes a few more photos than intended, rather than bad photos. Kameko is a long-time contributor to the forum, a first-rate photographer, and from my observation an ethical person. I would say that she has discounted the price more than she needed to, to reflect the condition of the camera. Those silver ones were, from memory, a limited edition, and were sold at a premium.

There is a general culture in ads on the forum that people do make full disclosure of even very minor things - rather different from ebay, as Uncle Vanya points out. But having said that, I understand your apprehension. It might not be the right one for you.

Last edited by Des; 10-16-2017 at 05:49 PM.