Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #46
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
A stack of great advice and thoughts already, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.

10-17-2017, 04:39 AM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Personally I think Kameko is just making absolutely full disclosure of a temporary issue encountered a year ago. She is only talking about the shutter sticking on continuous shooting, which might, at worst, mean it takes a few more photos than intended, rather than bad photos. Kameko is a long-time contributor to the forum, a first-rate photographer, and from my observation an ethical person. I would say that she has discounted the price more than she needed to, to reflect the condition of the camera. Those silver ones were, from memory, a limited edition, and were sold at a premium.

There is a general culture in ads on the forum that people do make full disclosure of even very minor things - rather different from ebay, as Uncle Vanya points out. But having said that, I understand your apprehension. It might not be the right one for you.
Thank you, I double checked my sent mail and it appears I did not send her a message so I just sent one to her now about it.
I appreciate your words, everyone here has already been so helpful and it helps calm the nervousness about a purchase by listening to those experienced with these products as well as the people selling them.
We will see what happens!! I will let everyone know if a purchase of a K3 happens!
10-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PM Sent.
10-17-2017, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #49

Original Poster
Camera and lenses are on their way!! Thank you everyone, I'm excited to get started and be terrible and ask a crazy amount of advice until I'm pretty good at it!! Hahaha

10-17-2017, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

You didn't tell us what you are ordering. Wait, come back.....
10-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #51
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbearfeet Quote
Camera and lenses are on their way!! Thank you everyone, I'm excited to get started and be terrible and ask a crazy amount of advice until I'm pretty good at it!! Hahaha
Enjoy the new kit. You've already asked a lot of good questions - don't be afraid to ask more. When you tell people you are starting out, mostly you get helpful and informative replies here - as the above ones show. Worth re-reading the posts by the "silverbacks" above - there's long experience behind their suggestions and advice.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My question too. I assume the camera is a K-3, but as a matter of interest, what lens(es) are you getting?
10-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Haha! Well, I think I got in a little over my head but I'll take it one lens at a time, a k3 with a 55-300mm, an 18-135mm, and a generously gifted veteran Tamron lens 70-300mm. thanks to everyone on this forum!!

I'll want to get like a 35 or 55 or something of that nature in a couple months! But these different lenses will be really cool to try out and get a feel for different ones etc but I suspect I'll spend a lot of time at first with the 18-135mm!

Last edited by Wildbearfeet; 10-18-2017 at 03:44 AM.
10-17-2017, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #53
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

a k3 with a 55-300mm, an 18-135mm, and a generously gifted veteran Tamron lens 70-300mm that will be used manually
A perfect starter kit. Use the zooms for a while, and take note of which focal lengths you use most. (There are free programs that will analyse your photos for you: here's one I use - ExposurePlot jpg exif lens length analyzer for photographers ) That will help you decide what lenses would be your next priority. They might not be the ones you expect. (When I had an 18-250 superzoom, I found that I was shooting disproportionately at 18mm or at 250mm, so I went for a wide lens and a long lens next. But everyone is different.)

Last edited by Des; 10-18-2017 at 01:11 PM.
10-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #54

Original Poster
Hey everyone! I have taken about 500 photos in 2-3 days haha, what can I use to upload my photos to a public album in order to share them with the forum? Photobucket only offers 2GB of free storage!
Also, I guess I will have to start another thread to share my pictures so be on the look out!
10-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #55
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey everyone! I have taken about 500 photos in 2-3 days haha, what can I use to upload my photos to a public album in order to share them with the forum? Photobucket only offers 2GB of free storage!
Also, I guess I will have to start another thread to share my pictures so be on the look out!
I post directly to the forum myself:

look at this:

PentaxForums.com - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
10-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #56

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I post directly to the forum myself:

look at this:

PentaxForums.com - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

I was hoping to share like 50 lol but also having a nice album to keep !
10-23-2017, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

I was hoping to share like 50 lol but also having a nice album to keep !
10-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #58

Original Poster
Thanks , also I see on here you have to upload pictures that are 1mp? Mine are 11 uploaded from the camera. What do you use to get that image size down to upload directly to the forum?
10-24-2017, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Any image editor will do that. I use Apple Aperture and can download at any size I want, I've chosen that size because that's the size for my screen, but for smaller images the free software that came on my Mac, is fine for that.

You should probably looking at some type of post processing software. What ever you use should reduce the image size of outputs for you. I generally have a collection of folders where I save everything I upload, so I don't have to do it twice if I find another use for the image.
10-24-2017, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #60
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks , also I see on here you have to upload pictures that are 1mp? Mine are 11 uploaded from the camera. What do you use to get that image size down to upload directly to the forum?
If you create a Flickr account, as Norm suggested, you can upload your full size photos there. When you want to post a photo on PF just click on Share in Flickr, then Bbcode and select the size you want. Then copy the BBcode and paste into your post on this forum.

There is an online tool that can do this for multiple photos in a Flickr album.