Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
New member - K3 bound and needing advice!

I am interested in buying a new or used K3. I believe my mind is made up on the body style, but looking for lenses...I am brand new to these types of cameras in general and while not entirely new to photography, I def need to brush up on all this terminology!

Basically a total noob so Hi!

10-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,698
Welcome

I like my K 3

Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I chose it over the K 3 II because I wanted the on board flash

and I could get GPS function via the accessory when I wanted it.

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

here is a tool which allows you to compare various Pentax DSLR side by side

Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-5 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

go up to " Lenses " for info on various Pentax and third party lenses

do your research and ask questions plenty of folks here willing to help out
10-13-2017, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,591
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbearfeet Quote
I am interested in buying a new or used K3. I believe my mind is made up on the body style, but looking for lenses...I am brand new to these types of cameras in general and while not entirely new to photography, I def need to brush up on all this terminology!

Basically a total noob so Hi!
What a fun time you have ahead of you.

First - do you have any inkling of the type(s) of photography you plan to engage in?
Second - do you envision yourself as using a zoom lens or a prime lens most of the time?
Third - do you plan to do your own post processing or let the camera do this for you and spit out jpgs?

Lastly - what do you think the budget is?

Now before you answer any of these here's my best advice:

Get the DA 18-135 or DA 16-85 as your first lens. This will let you explore some of the focal lengths and have a nice weather resistant lens to start taking shots with. As you learn more about what you want to do you can refine things and buy other lenses to match the situations that the lens you selected of these lenses cannot provide. (For example very low light action - or macro work)
10-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What a fun time you have ahead of you.

First - do you have any inkling of the type(s) of photography you plan to engage in?
Second - do you envision yourself as using a zoom lens or a prime lens most of the time?
Third - do you plan to do your own post processing or let the camera do this for you and spit out jpgs?

Lastly - what do you think the budget is?

Now before you answer any of these here's my best advice:

Get the DA 18-135 or DA 16-85 as your first lens. This will let you explore some of the focal lengths and have a nice weather resistant lens to start taking shots with. As you learn more about what you want to do you can refine things and buy other lenses to match the situations that the lens you selected of these lenses cannot provide. (For example very low light action - or macro work)
Thank you!

My type of photography is going to vary...right now due to my work and interests wildlife is my primary focus. I am usually taking close ups of flowers, bees, butterflies etc and photos of project sites so landscapes that we have planted so landscapes with trees or wildflowers.

What I have always wanted to be able to do is that that long range shot...so being able to take a picture of that hawk or eagle in the tree without it looking like this tiny black dot. Understanding that I can't afford a zoom lens that gets me a shot of that birds eyeball but being able to see identifying marks and maybe even print a few out for my wall of the wildlife.
This is what I really want to capture maybe because I have just never been able to before.
I will still be taking close ups though as well.

Those 2 things would be the primary use of the K3.

as an addition, I will be visiting Africa in Feb of next year and I hope to have some basics down of my camera to be able to take it along and get some great shots. I might not be able to get the lion eating the wildebeast but we will see, I am a pretty daring person hahaha

your third question...is something I just have no idea. Is post processing on my own going to be where I start because its a bit easier while I learn the camera? If it is, than thats probably where im at....if letting the camera do it requires me to have extensive knownledge on how to use it to make it do exactly what I want...that will take time for me but I feel like that could be an ultimate goal.

My total budget for body and say...2 lenses (3 if im super lucky) is a whopping 2k. Yikes!

Knowing myself, I will totally overwhelm myself to start, because I am the "need it all and need it now" type of person so I am hoping that by doing this research and talking to people that it calms that side of me and puts me in a more practical place to start. I could start with one lens and get a second one in a month or so after playing around and then another one after that but it seems my interests require at least 2 to start? what do you think?

10-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,698
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbearfeet Quote
Thank you!

My type of photography is going to vary...right now due to my work and interests wildlife is my primary focus. I am usually taking close ups of flowers, bees, butterflies etc . . .

as an addition, I will be visiting Africa in Feb of next year and I hope to have some basics down of my camera to be able to take it along and get some great shots. I might not be able to get the lion eating the wildebeast but we will see, I am a pretty daring person hahah . . .
regarding your interest in photographing insects and flowers, I am going to suggest you look at the D FA 100 mm Macro ( not the WR one )

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

" The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-d-fa-100mm-f28-wr-macro/specific...#ixzz4vPtnRy46

there is nothing wrong with the WR one except the price, you may be able to pick up the older model a lot cheaper, I did

it is both a macro and short telephoto

another suggestion, since you live in the US, check out the rental companies like LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more or Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax

I have used LensRental without a problem, I have never used the other one.

you could rent some lenses and do your own testing.

you would have to check with them but you might be able to rent something for your Africa trip.
10-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,042
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbearfeet Quote
My total budget for body and say...2 lenses (3 if im super lucky) is a whopping 2k. Yikes!
Get the 16-85 first and play around with that for a while until you learn the camera. Getting a bunch (even 2 or 3) lens all at once means you split your time between them and do not learn them thoroughly. And you end up with things in your bag that you rarely use.

Once you have a feel for the camera then look into a longer zoom which might be the 55-300 PLM or even the DA*60-250 if you can find a good used one.
10-13-2017, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,698
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Get the 16-85 first and play around with that for a while until you learn the camera. Getting a bunch (even 2 or 3) lens all at once means you split your time between them and do not learn them thoroughly. And you end up with things in your bag that you rarely use.

Once you have a feel for the camera then look into a longer zoom which might be the 55-300 PLM or even the DA*60-250 if you can find a good used one.
I agree the DA 16 - 85 is a great lens

HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

when you decide on what lenses you want and/or camera body be sure to check the Market Place here at the forum for possible purchases

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/

there is at least one K 3 being sold there now

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/353868-sa...ctuations.html
10-13-2017, 12:29 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,435
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbearfeet Quote
My type of photography is going to vary...right now due to my work and interests wildlife is my primary focus. I am usually taking close ups of flowers, bees, butterflies etc and photos of project sites so landscapes that we have planted so landscapes with trees or wildflowers.
Your starter combo should be the kit, 18-55 or 18-50 and a 55-300 of which the PLM is the current but of which there are many good choices in older versions.

So say you pick up your K-3 used from B&H for $600
A DA 18-55 for $200

A- -DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens for $500

That's $1300

That leaves you $700 for
a DFA 100 macro ($500,,,, for bees etc, the longer focal length gives you more distance and less chance of spooking your subject.
and DA 50 1.8 for indoor or low light photography ($200)

or possibly an upgrade of the 18-55 kit lens to a 17-70, 18-135 or a 16-85. The 16-85 and 18-135 are good for flowers, not so good for bees.

Shopping in the forum marketplace can significantly reduce cost, these items you could order today from B&H.

There you go, a $2000 stater kit for a K-3.

I'd limit your reading to those who actually can fit their recommendations into your budget.

I'd recommend a K-3 with the 16-85 and DA*60-250 with the 1.4 TC, 100 macro, and 50 1.8 but that would be more, and I'm sure a lot of people will also make recommendations that will cost more. Listed just to prove i could go hog wild if i wanted to.


Last edited by normhead; 10-13-2017 at 12:38 PM.
10-13-2017, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
ivanvernon's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,779
Lens choices for the K-3

There are so many choices available for you that it can be quite confusing. There are some excellent choices, but of course price is a factor. Your choices also depend upon your need/desire for automatic focussing capability. Here are a few ideas on how to get some excellent image quality at low cost. The other suggestions for automatic focus lenses are also excellent if you are in a position to invest the necessary funds.

For safari, birds, and maybe kids concerts and sports in arena:
--Pentax-M 400mm f5.6. --Good for birds, although lack of AF limits ability to capture birds in flight. This lens is generally too long for zoo animals unless you just want to capture tusks and tails, but might be good for long shots on safari.
--A shorter choice would be the Pentax-M 200mm f 4.0. This is a good zoo lens, very sharp, and also great for kids gym concerts and sports. Also excellent for portraiture of the head-shot type.
For garden, flower shots, etc. You don't really need a macro lens for this photography unless you want to show small portions of blossoms, but I like having macro available for the occasional bee, butterfly, or insect shot.
--Tokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 macro, needs optional extension to go 1:1 magnification. Alternative is the Kiron 105mm f 2.8 macro. Both are outstanding macro lenses, and are as sharp or sharper than most modern macro lenses, and you really do not need AF for macro work. Both these are also reat portraiture lenses.

COMMENT: Total cost for both lens choices would be somewhere between $400 and $600, with no sacrifice in sharpness or image quality in general. All these lenses are widely acclaimed for their quality, and easily resalable. You might also consider some sort of zoom lens for convenience on safari, maybe the Tamron 17-50 f 2.8 for closeer shots and/or something longer as well.

Hope these comments will be helpful. I would highly recommend using the Pentax Forum lens reviews to learn as much as possible about any lens you are considering purchasing.
10-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,591
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Your starter combo should be the kit, 18-55 or 18-50 and a 55-300 of which the PLM is the current but of which there are many good choices in older versions.

So say you pick up your K-3 used from B&H for $600
A DA 18-55 for $200

A- -DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens for $500

That's $1300

That leaves you $700 for
a DFA 100 macro ($500,,,, for bees etc, the longer focal length gives you more distance and less chance of spooking your subject.
and DA 50 1.8 for indoor or low light photography ($200)

or possibly an upgrade of the 18-55 kit lens to a 17-70, 18-135 or a 16-85. The 16-85 and 18-135 are good for flowers, not so good for bees.

Shopping in the forum marketplace can significantly reduce cost, these items you could order today from B&H.

There you go, a $2000 stater kit for a K-3.
This ^^^^^^^^^^

Very well said. I lean towards the 16-85 or 18-135 plus 55-300 and 100 macro. But well stated above and hard to take fault with.
10-13-2017, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,698
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Your starter combo should be the kit, 18-55 or 18-50 and a 55-300 of which the PLM is the current but of which there are many good choices in older versions.

So say you pick up your K-3 used from B&H for $600
A DA 18-55 for $200

A- -DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens for $500

That's $1300

That leaves you $700 for
a DFA 100 macro ($500,,,, for bees etc, the longer focal length gives you more distance and less chance of spooking your subject.
and DA 50 1.8 for indoor or low light photography ($200)

or possibly an upgrade of the 18-55 kit lens to a 17-70, 18-135 or a 16-85. The 16-85 and 18-135 are good for flowers, not so good for bees.

Shopping in the forum marketplace can significantly reduce cost, these items you could order today from B&H.

There you go, a $2000 stater kit for a K-3.

I'd limit your reading to those who actually can fit their recommendations into your budget.

I'd recommend a K-3 with the 16-85 and DA*60-250 with the 1.4 TC, 100 macro, and 50 1.8 but that would be more, and I'm sure a lot of people will also make recommendations that will cost more. Listed just to prove i could go hog wild if i wanted to.
and depending on what your safari is like, such a set up could work in Africa.

a lot of times, the animals will be close - DA 18-55 or DA 16-85, and the DA 55-300mm gives you some distance as well

DA 50 1.8 for indoor or low light photography

a DFA 100 macro short telephoto/macro
10-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
regarding your interest in photographing insects and flowers, I am going to suggest you look at the D FA 100 mm Macro ( not the WR one )

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

" The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. "

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

there is nothing wrong with the WR one except the price, you may be able to pick up the older model a lot cheaper, I did

it is both a macro and short telephoto

another suggestion, since you live in the US, check out the rental companies like LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more or Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax

I have used LensRental without a problem, I have never used the other one.

you could rent some lenses and do your own testing.

you would have to check with them but you might be able to rent something for your Africa trip.

And this is where I am at on the Noob status....when looking at LensRental what is the difference between Medium format and K mount capabilities?
Thank you, renting a lens will probably end up being a really great idea, I could get the camera or a kit and start learning on that and then try out one of the more pricier lenses before making a purchase in a couple months!
10-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Get the 16-85 first and play around with that for a while until you learn the camera. Getting a bunch (even 2 or 3) lens all at once means you split your time between them and do not learn them thoroughly. And you end up with things in your bag that you rarely use.

Once you have a feel for the camera then look into a longer zoom which might be the 55-300 PLM or even the DA*60-250 if you can find a good used one.
Yeah, that is absolutely what will happen and I def need to focus on just one while learning the ropes! I think I am settling into the idea of one for now and another one in a couple months or so, thanks!
10-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #14
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Original Poster
Here is another question I am embarrased to be asking .....if there are lenses that are specifically "50mm" or "35mm" and then theres 16-85mm.... can't that 16-85 do what the 50mm can do on its own with just more? What are the reasons to buy a lens that is only "50 or 30mm" ...I am shaking my head too haha im afraid to ask
10-13-2017, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,698
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildbearfeet Quote
Here is another question I am embarrased to be asking .....if there are lenses that are specifically "50mm" or "35mm" and then theres 16-85mm.... can't that 16-85 do what the 50mm can do on its own with just more? What are the reasons to buy a lens that is only "50 or 30mm" ...I am shaking my head too haha im afraid to ask
I have copyrighted all " stupid questions " so you are technically in violation

but I do not enforce my copyright so you are not in trouble

[ BTW there really isn't any " stupid question " ]

prime lenses vs. zoom lenses is a " discussion " that has been ongoing for years

do the research

ask questions

here is a start

Prime vs Zoom Lenses - Which are Best?

https://photographylife.com/prime-vs-zoom-lenses

http://www.naturephotographysimplified.com/tips-and-tutorials/prime-lens-vs-...ns-whats-best/

http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/prime-and-zoom-lenses.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-13-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, days, film, iq, k3, length, lens, lenses, light, people, pm, post, primes, quality, range, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just received the K3 and needing help with some items please ! jpzk Pentax K-3 10 02-16-2016 07:08 AM
K3 pdf Manual available in 3 Sizes Spiral Bound Vic's Assistant Pentax K-3 6 01-27-2015 12:23 AM
Hello from New England Needing zoom advice skipdesro Welcomes and Introductions 11 11-22-2014 04:45 AM
just a baby needing advice tatum.brennan. Welcomes and Introductions 6 09-04-2010 05:12 PM
70-200/2.8 lenses - novice needing advice adamkean Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 02-05-2009 04:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top