Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leaving Canon. Can't find a Denver retailer.

Hello!
New from Denver, CO area. Leaving Canon, but can't find a Pentax retail outlet in the area.
After a long history of Canon SLR's, a Fuji G690 6x9, a Mamiya 7 and too much research, I've finally decided to get serious again and embrace digital. After reading many Nikon and Pentax user threads, and as primarily a still photographer (landscapes, architecture, candids and macro's), I've all but decided on the full frame Pentax K-1 with a 24-?? (to be determined) zoom. What convinced me most were the conversations about the more subtle and delicate positive differences in image quality with the K-1.
I'd appreciate advice on a zoom lens recommendation (at least a 24mm wide and be a reasonable carry around size), but my main question is where can I find a place to put my hands on a K-1 in the Denver metro area? I've found stores that will sell them, but none so far that stocks them.
The Sony A-7's are too small for my hands, the new Canon 6DmII is pathetic and the Nikon D750 fits nicely in my grip, but I need to touch the K-1 before I make the plunge. Any suggestions?

10-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't help with the local dealer. I live near a very large city and there are no dealers in my area either. I assume the best source of dealer info is the Ricoh web site, but I've heard it's not up-to-date. I can highly recommend the K-1 and the D FA 24-70 2.8 lens. They are great together. I finally bought the D FA 28-105 and it's pretty impressive in a smaller, lighter package. If I only take one lens and I don't expect to take a very wide shot, I'll now take the 28-105. For landscapes, the 24-70 plus the 15-30 for very wide shots are an excellent pair. But the vast majority of my landscapes are shot with the 24-70 and I've been very pleased. I just made a 20 x 30 inch print and the detail is pretty impressive.
10-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Dave,
As for the K-1, I just want to wrap my hand around it before I buy it. As for the lenses, if I can let go of the desire for the 24mm width, I'll choose the 28-105 in a heart beat. I guess I'm just wishing for a 24-105mm 3.5.
10-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The retailers you want in the U.S. are probably site sponsors Adorama and B&H.

I run into the same problem with the store I buy from here in Canada, and they say buy it and you have 7 days to return it if you don't want it, for a full refund. I really liked K-1 right out of the box, so it was no issue. but I have bought and returned things before, notably when SIgma's concept of "up to spec" was nowhere near my concept of "up to spec" on a long lens.

10-14-2017, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really ought to drop into a user group and request a meet up. I am pretty sure there is a Denver and area group here. Else that, I am in Denver in Dec. and am always willing to meet a local photog for a cuppajoe and a walk about.
10-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I almost hesitate to make this suggestion, but I might be inclined to drive over to where ever Pentax/Ricoh corporate is located and ask to see a K1 since there are none around locally in retail stores. It would almost pathetic if they didn't have one available, or declined to help you out. Pentax/Ricoh is what it is and there is no changing them in the slightest.

10-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #7

I have the K-1 and love it for landscape and general work. Currently, I am using my manual Sigma wide II 28mm/f2.8, Pentax K55/1.8, M100/2.8, A35-105/f3.5, and a fully auto Tamron 70-200/2.8 on it.

I shoot a lot of manual as I started in 1977 with film and have manual lenses. I started with Fujica and Pentax with M42 screw mount lenses.

I have an APS-C Pentax K-3 and K-5 that I use with manual and auto lenses for wildlife & nature taking advantage of the 1.5x sensor bump on the effective focal length.

Pentax cameras are solidly built, moisture resistant, and with the on board (body) anti-vibration you can use any manual or auto lens you can find in K mount. I have manual M42 screw mounts I use with "real" Pentax K adapter rings. The flexibility with old glass is great.

Welcome to the fold.

JB

Last edited by Take-5-JB; 10-14-2017 at 01:22 PM.
10-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Penron Quote
As for the K-1, I just want to wrap my hand around it before I buy it.
I had the same feeling. The first time I handled it I thought my God, this is too big for me. The second time, I put the store's 70-200 DFA* on it, said no thanks, then put my 18-135 on the front. It handled so much more easily that I changed my mind completely about the size.

10-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The group in your area...
10-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia Penron, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.
10-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I almost hesitate to make this suggestion, but I might be inclined to drive over to where ever Pentax/Ricoh corporate is located and ask to see a K1 since there are none around locally in retail stores. It would almost pathetic if they didn't have one available, or declined to help you out. Pentax/Ricoh is what it is and there is no changing them in the slightest.

Uh... didn't that office close? The story was it was closed and all people that were retained (if any) moved to NYC or NJ where Ricoh Imaging had an office already.
10-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Possible solution for the original poster

only problem is that it will cost money

if you cannot wait to meet up with mattt

consider renting one

I have used LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more in the past

there is also borrowlenses: Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax

the bonus is that you could choose a couple of lenses to try out at the same time
10-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Uh... didn't that office close? The story was it was closed and all people that were retained (if any) moved to NYC or NJ where Ricoh Imaging had an office already.
You are right - forgot all about that. D&B/Hoovers has this information on them....
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation West Caldwell, NJ, United States Sales $36.45M
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation
5 Dedrick Pl
West Caldwell, NJ, 07006 United States
(973) 882-2000
Home - Ricoh
10-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, hope you manage to find a suitable outlet to get hands on over there.
10-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #15

Try Denver Pro Photo - I think they still carry Pentax