Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2017, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #1

I'm Kodiak and I shoot nature stuff. [PA, USA]

I'm a hiker coming from the point-and-shoot world. I gravitate toward nature macro, landscapes, and starry night shooting. You'll frequently find me off-trail huddled over a patch of moss that the light is hitting just right, or the side of a country road when there isn't any moonlight to wash out the milky way.

10-16-2017, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Kodiak! Very nice pictures!
10-16-2017, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums.
10-16-2017, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.... you sound like me.... except I use a canoe as much as I hike.

One of my recent posts....

10-16-2017, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. You like the same stuff as me - except you take better pics.
10-17-2017, 01:11 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, not a close relation to a fairly well known film maker?
10-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #7
Closed Account

Hi from Australia Kodiak, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.

PS. Very good 1st pix.

10-17-2017, 04:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Welcome to the forum.... you sound like me.... except I use a canoe as much as I hike.

One of my recent posts....
My wife and I are super jealous of your cabin and it's surroundings. I dream of living Upstate so that I can be closer to those areas.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Welcome to the Forums. You like the same stuff as me - except you take better pics.
Aw shucks thanks - don't sell yourself short, just look at this pic you took! Red fox - Pentax User Photo Gallery
...or this: One day past full moon, 9 August 2017 - PJ1's Album: General - PentaxForums.com
...or this: Sunset12May17 - sunset on Canning Creek, southern... - PJ1's Album: General - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, not a close relation to a fairly well known film maker?
Har har - If I had a nickel for every teacher who couldn't differentiate a region in Alaska with camera film...

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia Kodiak, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.

PS. Very good 1st pix.
Thanks a bunch! Someday I'll see Australia with my own eyes, for now I'll watch the galleries here!
10-22-2017, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums, and greetings from cambria county.
10-23-2017, 04:20 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Welcome to the forums, and greetings from cambria county.
Hey thanks! I was just out there shooting the milky way in Homer City Friday - if you do astro we should meet up some time!
10-23-2017, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kodiak Quote
Hey thanks! I was just out there shooting the milky way in Homer City Friday - if you do astro we should meet up some time!
Do all my astro over at Prince Gallitzin State Park since it's the darkest area around here. Can't wait for the park to turn off the lights for the year, so that I have more options on locations around the lake, problem is that the nights have been cloudy and/or foggy lately.

10-23-2017, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. I'm looking forward to seeing your images.
10-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #13

Original Poster
Wow, those are breathtaking. Do you have a thread about your setup and technique? Any chance you'd be willing to let me tag long some time to see how you pull those results from a Western PA sky?
10-23-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't have a thread, most of it is just astrotracer coupled with 10mm samyang uwa. But I've got no problems with you tagging along if you want. You will need a fishing license though, as the only night accessible areas of the state park have a "shoreline fishing" access requirement. More than happy to help out if you have questions too.
10-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #15

Original Poster
I don't have a thread, most of it is just astrotracer coupled with 10mm samyang uwa. But I've got no problems with you tagging along if you want. You will need a fishing license though, as the only night accessible areas of the state park have a "shoreline fishing" access requirement. More than happy to help out if you have questions too.
Nice! I've got to find an affordable astrotracer. I've got the K-S2 and have been keeping an eye out for an astrotracer in the $150 range.

I'm torn between a used 12mm Rokinon 2.8 or saving up a bit more and buying the $399 Irix Firefly 15mm f2.4.

Either way I've got some saving to do as I've only got the DA 35mm f2.4 for fast lenses so far. I'll check into a fishing license (I'm due for another kayak license anyhow) soonish.