Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Second K-1 ordered

First K-1 with 30mm lens attached is in crevice at bottom of a waterfall above the fish hatchery near Brevard NC in Pisgah National Forest. Anyone brave enough can have it. State Farm denied my claim. Jerry

10-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

A second K-1 is a tempting notion, but not as a result of what you describe.

QuoteOriginally posted by britt3jfs Quote
Anyone brave enough can have it.
Fresh water, so it should be OK.
10-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ouch. Sorry to see such a miserable introduction to the forum.

Good to see that you thought so much of it you are ordering another.
10-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this time, attach the strap, and put it round your neck when peering over precipices?

(I'm not as unsympathetic as this my sound - I've had many unfortunate moments with cameras - mostly my fault - but, as mentioned, glad you think enough of the camera to re-buy - I wish you many happy years with the next one )

10-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

First K-1 with 30mm lens attached is in crevice at bottom of a waterfall above the fish hatchery near Brevard NC in Pisgah National Forest. Anyone brave enough can have it. State Farm denied my claim. Jerry
Sounds like a story from my nightmares. I have a cramp in my stomach just thinking about it.
10-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
oh my.. how very terrible.
10-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Oh dear, enjoy the replacement once you get hands on and welcome to the forum.

10-18-2017, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #8

Hadn’t heard of Pisgah, so I looked it up. The website has advice for these occurrences.

a word of caution, always be careful around waterfalls! Mossy covered rocks are VERY slippery and fatalities occur every year on the waterfalls. Particularly stay away from the tops of falls. There is gravity in abundance in such areas

Best advice on a gov. Website I’ve ever seen.
10-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by moray-eel-bite Quote
There is gravity in abundance in such areas
This is priceless.

To the OP: Welcome to the Pentax Forums! We join you in the sorrow of your loss and hope we can be helpful with your replacement K-1.

Steve
10-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry....sorry, but did you happen to hit the video button just before it was dropped? No, don't say yes or there might be someone inclined to going diving for it.
Glad you chose another K-1. Welcome but too bad you had to start with this story of tragedy.
10-18-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

Is it possible to bring a fishing rod out there with a large hook and try to snag one of the metal 'eyelets' that hold the camera strap on either side of the camera body?
10-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s a shame about your insurance agent. I have a rider on my State Farm homeowners insurance specifically for my camera equipment and when my first K-3 committed suicide off the 14th floor of the Paradise Pier Hotel in Disneyland I got a check from State Farm in less than a week.
10-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
That’s a shame about your insurance agent. I have a rider on my State Farm homeowners insurance specifically for my camera equipment and when my first K-3 committed suicide off the 14th floor of the Paradise Pier Hotel in Disneyland I got a check from State Farm in less than a week.
I'm curious about that.. when you filed the claim, did your insurance company raise your rate? And was there a deductible?
10-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #14

Ouch!

It's weather sealed, but not waterproof...that being said, you may actually be able to use it after you've completely dried it off (that is, if you can retrieve it!)
DigitalRev TV tortured a 7D (including freezing it and setting it on fire) and it could still shoot after that. I'd expect the K-1 would live up to that too
10-19-2017, 02:48 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
that is good to hear, the insurance coverage not the incident,

since I have same type of " personal article " policy [ rider ] from State Farm

note this policy [ which does cost extra $ to have ] is in addition to my standard home owners and auto coverage which did give some limited coverage.

I was concerned when I read that SF had denied the OP's claim