Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 12:03 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Former Canon guy here, now all in with Pentax

Hello All,

I’ve been shooting with Canon SLR’s for 15 years and when it came time that I felt I needed to upgrade from my 5d mkll I decided it was time to switch systems since Canons sensors haven’t been able to keep up with Sony’s. I had considered the D850, but when I searched into it a little more and came across the K1 score in DxO labs I gave it some serious consideration.
Comparing it against the D850 and the 810 I felt the K1 just offered something really unique and it was obvious it was the best bang for the buck as well.

I went all in and ordered the Silver Edition with three lenses which should be arriving this afternoon. Really looking forward to it. A solidly built and sealed body, WiFi, built in gps, 300,000 cycle shutter, loads of tricks off that shifting sensor and IQ on par with the 810 and close to the 850. Oh, and a grand less than the 810.
I couldn’t resist, seems to me like the best value in FF DSLR’s out there.

Just discovered this forum while browsing for more info on the K1. Looks like a great bunch of people here.

Hello from New York.

11-07-2017, 12:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, welcome to you from Dorset UK!

I think we're honest enough here to admit that there are some things that both Canon and Nikon do better than Pentax, but none of them get it all right and, as you say, the K-1 has great IQ (tops them all in circumstances where pixel shift is possible) in a great value package - and Ricoh seem to be committing increasingly to top quality glass to go with that IQ and the many unique features of Pentax.

Enjoy! (you will )

Last edited by ffking; 11-07-2017 at 07:15 AM.
11-07-2017, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia, and welcome to the Pentax forums and Pentax equipment. Any help or advice you may need with your new " brand " will be happily given by the members here. Good to have you aboard.
11-07-2017, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the dark side and looking forward for seeing your works.

11-07-2017, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bold and perceptive move
What lenses did you get ?
Pete in NZ
11-07-2017, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, enjoy that fine bit of kit once you get hands on.
11-07-2017, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #7

Tell you what. Wish I had the cash for a K1 let alone change systems. Hold on....... I'm tied in to a brill K3ii so why worry. May I wish you all the best with the K1. Welcome to Pentax forums.

---------- Post added 11-07-17 at 12:34 PM ----------

Blimey,
Im only up the road in wiltshire. Howdy 😉
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Well, welcome to you from Dorset UK!

I think we're honest enough here to admit that there are some things that both Canon and Nikon do better than Pentax, but none of them get it all right ans, as you say, the K-1 as great IQ (tops them all in circumstances where pixel shift is possible) in a great value package - and Ricoh seem to be committing increasingly to top quality glass to go with that IQ and the many unique features of Pentax.

Enjoy! (you will )

11-07-2017, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome aboard! You will enjoy your decision that I can tell you! And what a way to start with the silver limited K-1, just great!
11-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
Blimey,
Im only up the road in wiltshire. Howdy ��
What?! - Pentax users in two adjacent counties! More of us than I'd realised
11-07-2017, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and good words.

Yes, ditching a system I was vested in for so many years wasn’t a decision that came lightly. I was hoping to sell off most of my Canon gear first but it is proving to be more difficult than I thought.

My GF’s dance company has a performance coming up on December 2nd and I wanted the new gear to shoot the event (as I always do a couple times a year) so I took a painful hit now and hopefully I’ll ease the pain once I finally unload the gear later on.

As for lenses, I bought the Pentax 15-30, 24-70 and 70-200. Eventually down the road I’ll look into some primes. I’ve read that the 15-30 (and maybe the others as well) is actually a rebadged Tamron lens? If so, that’s not a bad thing since the Tamron 15-30 is highly regarded.
11-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gahspidy Quote
As for lenses, I bought the Pentax 15-30, 24-70 and 70-200. Eventually down the road I’ll look into some primes. I’ve read that the 15-30 (and maybe the others as well) is actually a rebadged Tamron lens? If so, that’s not a bad thing since the Tamron 15-30 is highly regarded.
At least looking at my gear collection, Tamron is practically the second Pentax OEM glassmaker.
11-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gahspidy Quote
the 24-70 is also a rebadged Tamron, but the 70-200 is all Pentax (and a cracking good, if weighty, lens)
11-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
the 24-70 is also a rebadged Tamron, but the 70-200 is all Pentax
Thanks, good to know.
11-08-2017, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
So I received the K1 SE and lenses yesterday. First impression on its appearance was very good. There is just the right combination of silver and black that gives it a very attractive look.

I didn’t have much time last night to give it a go, but I mounted the 24-70 lens, fires it up and thought “what the hell is going on here”!
Coming from a canon system for the last 15 years the Pentax Controls seemed to be totally out of left field for me. I was alarmed!
I soon put the camera away to get to sleep, wondering if I would not be happy about this.

Got up this morning, had my coffee and took it out again. I’d say it took me about an hour of sorting through all the functions before I started to make sense of it all. I’ve only had a short time with it and haven’t even poured through the manual yet so I’m beginning to grow confident that I will get comfortable with it soon enough.

Low light performance and AF seems to work very well in the dimly lit room.

Looking forward to getting more familiar with it and putting it through some real use.
11-08-2017, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Muscle Memory is tough to overcome. I'm still getting used to the switch of rear-button focus position from the K5 to the K3II. Mostly because the new position is more likely to smudge my glasses....

It takes time, but overall I think Pentax does a great job with ergonomics and menus. There are numerous ways to access quick menus for basic parameter changes.