Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 07:02 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Introduction from a recovering canon user

Hello everyone! I am really excited to be a part of the Pentax community. My new camera arrived a few days ago and I have a lot to learn. I am blown away by all of the options and customization that can be achieved.

I have been shooting Canon for a number of years and recently sold my Canon 6D, 24-70 Tamron, IS, and some other gear. I will keep my T2I, Tamon 90MM, ring light, etc. for Macro.

The genesis of these actions was the purchase of the DP2M. I instantly fell in love with the camera and I quickly realized the shortcomings of my much more expensive canon cameras.

Fast forward a few years and I have been seeing the announcements of newer cameras. A7R, D800 and D810. Everyone kept telling me to hold
off for a new canon. That they would "catch up".

I have been researching the Pentak K1 and was intrigued by the build quality, the sensor shift functionality, I mean everything about the camera looked like I would be purchasing something that completely blows away my Canon and other higher Canons that were well outside of my price range.

I finally sold the aforementioned 6D, various lenses, etc. to fund the Pentax K1 purchase. I have been an avid fan of the M42 screwmount lens. My favorite being the 50mm 1.4 super takumar and the Meyer-Optik Görlitz 4/300 Orestegor – f4; both are absolutely outstanding.

I loved the fact that the K mount has been used for so many years and there is an abundant supply of vintage lenses that I can use native without any type of adapter.

Before the K1 arrived I ordered a few lenses on Ebay recently. The Pentax 50mm 1.7 SMC FA. Cant beat the price. I mistakenly purchased the Zykkor MC 135 2.8. Didn't realize it was a Zykkor. Perhaps I will like it? I'll put it through some paces today. Since I love shooting landscape I was really happy to score the original 28MM 3.5 Pentax SMC.

As a matter of fact I shot with the 28mm lens this morning for the first time. I read the glowing reviews, thanks to this forum, and knew I had to have it.

Again - thank you for this wonderful site and I am grateful to all of you who so generously share your knowledge of photography.

You can view my work at robertoaloiphotography.com. I hope to be able to contribute to the ever growing collection of fine K1 images.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by RobertoAloi; 11-11-2017 at 07:23 AM.
11-11-2017, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the clubhouse Roberto, it is a great place to meet.

And congratulations on joining the Pentax fold, indeed the selection of lenses, newer and older, is huge. There are many great ones available that perform quite well, for very little money.

I look forward to viewing more of your work with the K-1.

Cheers,
Racer
11-11-2017, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to Pentax and to the forums

glad you came " into the light "

your erroneous canon history is forgiven
11-11-2017, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

11-11-2017, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobertoAloi Quote
Hello everyone! I am really excited to be a part of the Pentax community. My new camera arrived a few days ago and I have a lot to learn. I am blown away by all of the options and customization that can be achieved.

I have been shooting Canon for a number of years and recently sold my Canon 6D, 24-70 Tamron, IS, and some other gear. I will keep my T2I, Tamon 90MM, ring light, etc. for Macro.

The genesis of these actions was the purchase of the DP2M. I instantly fell in love with the camera and I quickly realized the shortcomings of my much more expensive canon cameras.

Fast forward a few years and I have been seeing the announcements of newer cameras. A7R, D800 and D810. Everyone kept telling me to hold
off for a new canon. That they would "catch up".

I have been researching the Pentak K1 and was intrigued by the build quality, the sensor shift functionality, I mean everything about the camera looked like I would be purchasing something that completely blows away my Canon and other higher Canons that were well outside of my price range.

I finally sold the aforementioned 6D, various lenses, etc. to fund the Pentax K1 purchase. I have been an avid fan of the M42 screwmount lens. My favorite being the 50mm 1.4 super takumar and the Meyer-Optik Görlitz 4/300 Orestegor – f4; both are absolutely outstanding.

I loved the fact that the K mount has been used for so many years and there is an abundant supply of vintage lenses that I can use native without any type of adapter.

Before the K1 arrived I ordered a few lenses on Ebay recently. The Pentax 50mm 1.7 SMC FA. Cant beat the price. I mistakenly purchased the Zykkor MC 135 2.8. Didn't realize it was a Zykkor. Perhaps I will like it? I'll put it through some paces today. Since I love shooting landscape I was really happy to score the original 28MM 3.5 Pentax SMC.

As a matter of fact I shot with the 28mm lens this morning for the first time. I read the glowing reviews, thanks to this forum, and knew I had to have it.

Again - thank you for this wonderful site and I am grateful to all of you who so generously share your knowledge of photography.

You can view my work at robertoaloiphotography.com. I hope to be able to contribute to the ever growing collection of fine K1 images.
Welcome Roberto, I was attracted to Pentax for the same reasons, their great bodies and compatibility with older lenses, Shooting with older M42 lenses its always a joy
11-11-2017, 08:07 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you like the Tak50, try the older 8-element version. Won’t work on Canon because the mirror hits the rear element. It’s a bit nicer than the 7 element version. I’m also a big fan of the Zeiss Pancolar 50/1.8. Mine is the older Zebra version. Quite nice.

And you get shake reduction built in with these.

One more thing, join the “Single in November” or “Daily in November” games. Such fun groups of people to share you love of Pentax with.

Welcome!!
11-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
11-11-2017, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia Roberto, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.

PS. Excellent 1st image.

11-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia Roberto, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.

PS. Excellent 1st image.
Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how to meter the manual 28mm 3.5.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #10
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, good choice on the K1, but hey... I might be accused of being a little bias.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how to meter the manual 28mm 3.5.
There's a guide for that: How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Snipped from the guide:
QuoteQuote:
0. Ensure that the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function is set to "2 (allowed)" (K-30/50/500/01 users must also ensure that the green button is configured to Tv Shift in M/TAv Mode) as described above

1. Set your camera to M mode using the mode dial (your camera won't fire in other modes*)
2. Compose and focus your image.
3. Using the aperture ring (the ring at the very back of your lens; it will have numbers such as 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 written on it), select your desired aperture setting. Note that the smaller the aperture number is, the more light passes through the lens, and the blurrier the out of focus areas of your photograph will be (and vice-versa).
4. [Screwmount lenses only] Switch the diaphragm clutch on your lens to "Manual" (you can leave it on Auto when composing and focusing if you don't want a dark viewfinder).
5. Measure the light by either pressing the "Green Button", or pushing your power button to DOF preview mode (only available on high-end bodies). Your camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from "The Wrong Side of Heaven"!
5 Days Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If you like the Tak50, try the older 8-element version. Won’t work on Canon because the mirror hits the rear element. It’s a bit nicer than the 7 element version. I’m also a big fan of the Zeiss Pancolar 50/1.8. Mine is the older Zebra version. Quite nice.

And you get shake reduction built in with these.

One more thing, join the “Single in November” or “Daily in November” games. Such fun groups of people to share you love of Pentax with.

Welcome!!
I know what you mean about hitting the mirror. I had that same issue trying to focus to infinity with the Canon 6D. It's fine with my crop canon, but useless on the full frame. Cant wait to use it with the K1

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 06:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Welcome to the forums!

There's a guide for that: How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Snipped from the guide:
I don't like the idea of pressing the green button for the camera to determine proper exposure. I only shoot in manual mode. I was hoping I could simply have the camera showing me the metering in real time while looking in the viewfinder. I find this a little strange that I cannot do this easily.

---------- Post added 11-13-17 at 06:34 PM ----------

Everglades Black and White | Roberto Aloi | Flickr

One more image from the other day. The K1 is amazing.
5 Days Ago   #14

I don't think you have to press the green button. You can see the exposure level while looking in the viewfinder to make your adjustments. You can change the shutter speed, the F stop and the ISO with all the three rotary dials. It is a very slick arrangement.
4 Days Ago   #15

I don't like the idea of pressing the green button for the camera to determine proper exposure. I only shoot in manual mode. I was hoping I could simply have the camera showing me the metering in real time while looking in the viewfinder. I find this a little strange that I cannot do this easily.
I do it all the time with my K5IIs. There is an exposure meter in the viewfinder (and also on the LCD display on the top right), a simple bar with a marker that shows under or over exposure, much like the exposure meter needle in the viewfinder of my old film camera.

Can’t remember the last time I used anything other than full manual mode.