Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2017, 05:52 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Kansas

I bought my first DSLR, a Pentax K-70, about two months ago, and I'm very happy to have found these Pentax Forums. This place is a tremendously useful resource.

I'm actually an old-timer, having started in photography back in 1972 with a succession of cheap M42 mount (not Pentax) cameras. Eventually I settled on the Canon system, doing general commercial photography (weddings, etc.) and lots of sports photography for the local newspaper and college.

But when Canon changed their mounting system, my three bodies (two AE-1's and a T90) and 10 FD mount lenses instantly became obsolete! Nothing that I owned could be used with Canon's new cameras, other than some T and TX mount lenses.

So I needed to choose a new system (I sure wasn't going to give Canon any more of my money). I chose to go with Pentax, and jumped in big time with a purchase of the superb Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5 ED IF for $850 (a lot of money in 1988). When I told the dealer that I was buying it from that I didn't actually have a K mount body yet – and wouldn't be able to afford one for a while – he pulled a used K1000 body off of his shelf and added at it no charge!

Unfortunately, I had to give up photography when my financial situation later took a turn for the worse. I put all of my camera equipment up on a shelf where it has been sitting collecting dust for the past 25 years.

Buying the Pentax K-70 made me feel like a kid discovering the joys of photography all over again!

Below are some example K-70 shots:

Flower & vase: One of my first photos with the K-70, a snapshot while sitting in a restaurant. Beautiful tonal values in black & white, and the in-camera image stabilization is awesome. Pentax DA 18-135mm zoom, 135mm @ f/5.6, 1/60 sec, ISO 6400.

Soccer: I've read that the Pentax autofocus is not good for sports or fast action. Hmmm... it works fine for me. Then again, my experience as a film-era sports photographer using manual focus lenses maybe gives me an advantage here. Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5 ED IF @ f/8, 1/500 sec, ISO 400, heavily cropped. (This lens' reputation for outstanding image quality is fully deserved.)

Rainy street: Hand-held in a light drizzle. Pentax F 50mm f/1.7 @ f4, 1/30 sec, ISO 3200 with a 4-point cross star filter.

Attached Images

11-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Closed Account

Hi from Australia, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.

PS. Very good 1st pix.
11-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Nice story and lovely photos!
Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)
11-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forum from another person from Kansas

11-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots. We are happy to have you here.
11-19-2017, 12:53 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, good to have you here.