Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #1

I love takumar lenses

Hello to one and all.

Photography is my passion not employment and I have a love for old manual lenses.

I will be brave and admit at the moment I use a Nikon D700, I stayed with Nikon because they never changed their camera mount (like Pentax), so I could still use my manual lenses. To my disappointment Nikon never put vibration reduction in their camera bodies and every modern lens has a focus motor in them making my camera bag way a ton.

I have been collecting manual lenses for years, but only Nikon mount due to the infinity focus problem.

3 months ago on I found a Vivitar 135mm for sale on Gumtree. I go down and purchase this lens, then the lady offers me a Takumar SMC 85mm F1.8, the minute I picked this lens up and played with it for a few minutes I notice the focus to be smooth, the aperture to be nice and snappy and the engineering of the outer lens feels lovely. All I new was Takumar was made by Pentax nothing more. I took a chance and purchased the lens because it was cheap.

I like portrait photography so focus to infinity would not be a problem with the 85mm, I already had an m42 to Nikon adapter.
After a dozen shots I fell in love with this lens, my favourite lens is a Simmercron 90mm F2 R converted to Nikon Mount.

After many more outings with this 85mm, I now own a Takumar SMC 28mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 150mm F4 and just purchase a 400mm f5.6 I LOVE THESE LENSES.

The Pentax K1 is on my Christmas list and the best thing is I can use any brand of lens with no infinity problems.

Because the Takumar's are so addictive, I have band myself from looking at the Pentax K mount lenses.

Regards
Ricky Ferns

11-19-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

BTW, the Pentax K bayonet mount hasn't changed since it was introduced in the 70's, so any older lens can be used on a new Pentax body. Always. Maybe you're thinking of Canon

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-19-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from " just over the hill " Ricky, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here mate.
11-19-2017, 12:55 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to both the forum and fine Pentax glass.

11-19-2017, 02:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of people who love using old manual lenses, and a lot of them own and use many Takumars. The 85mm f/1.8 has a superb reputation.

You can find the dedicated Takumar thread here: Takumar club - PentaxForums.com

You'd be very welcome to contribute, even with your Nikon. I use many of my old lenses on a Fujifilm mirrorless camera as well as on my Pentaxes.

Don't forget you'll need a genuine Pentax M42 to K adapter to use Takumars on a K-1 (or any other K-mount camera). I'd recommend avoiding the third-party ones as they can get stuck.
11-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually as I understand it, Nikon did change their lens mechanics and most Nikons (beginning with the FE2 and FM2) will not accept pre AI lenses, anyway not w/o a physical modification.

On the other hand all Pentax cameras will accept the Takiumar screw mount lenses with a simple adapter, and they will also all meter, which I also believe not to be the case with all Nikon cameras. Maybe you should pick up a Pentax body and try it--something like a K-5 is inexpensive and excellent, and a Pentax brand M42 to K mount adapter.
11-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome aboard!

BTW, the Pentax K bayonet mount hasn't changed since it was introduced in the 70's, so any older lens can be used on a new Pentax body. Always. Maybe you're thinking of Canon
Thank you for the welcome.

What i meant was Pentax hasn't changed its mount like Nikon, but thank you.
11-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from " just over the hill " Ricky, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here mate.
Thanks for the welcome

11-20-2017, 12:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to both the forum and fine Pentax glass.
Thank you for your welcome.
Yes, Pentax glass is very fine.
11-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #10
Forum Member

I just bought a smc FA 135 f 2,8 yesterday and started with a handful of pictures. Im just keen on using it more at the weekend.
Have fun with your gear!
02-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ArmourBearer Quote
Hello to one and all.

Photography is my passion not employment and I have a love for old manual lenses.

I will be brave and admit at the moment I use a Nikon D700, I stayed with Nikon because they never changed their camera mount (like Pentax), so I could still use my manual lenses. To my disappointment Nikon never put vibration reduction in their camera bodies and every modern lens has a focus motor in them making my camera bag way a ton.

I have been collecting manual lenses for years, but only Nikon mount due to the infinity focus problem.

3 months ago on I found a Vivitar 135mm for sale on Gumtree. I go down and purchase this lens, then the lady offers me a Takumar SMC 85mm F1.8, the minute I picked this lens up and played with it for a few minutes I notice the focus to be smooth, the aperture to be nice and snappy and the engineering of the outer lens feels lovely. All I new was Takumar was made by Pentax nothing more. I took a chance and purchased the lens because it was cheap.

I like portrait photography so focus to infinity would not be a problem with the 85mm, I already had an m42 to Nikon adapter.
After a dozen shots I fell in love with this lens, my favourite lens is a Simmercron 90mm F2 R converted to Nikon Mount.

After many more outings with this 85mm, I now own a Takumar SMC 28mm F3.5, 50mm F1.4, 135mm F3.5, 150mm F4 and just purchase a 400mm f5.6 I LOVE THESE LENSES.

The Pentax K1 is on my Christmas list and the best thing is I can use any brand of lens with no infinity problems.

Because the Takumar's are so addictive, I have band myself from looking at the Pentax K mount lenses.

Regards
Ricky Ferns
Welcome
And I to love Takumar Lenses Preferably the older M42 mount ones
I own currently the 150 f4 200 3.5 preset and the 300 f4
with others on the radar for the future LOL
Enjoy
02-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSteele Quote
Welcome
And I to love Takumar Lenses Preferably the older M42 mount ones
I own currently the 150 f4 200 3.5 preset and the 300 f4
with others on the radar for the future LOL
Enjoy
Hi

I only collect Takumar M42, Just received a Takumar SMC 200mm F4 in mint condition, so will be trying out this week end.

I am addicted to these lenses.

All the best

---------- Post added 02-21-18 at 04:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zahnski Quote
I just bought a smc FA 135 f 2,8 yesterday and started with a handful of pictures. Im just keen on using it more at the weekend.
Have fun with your gear!
Hi

Sorry for late response, work commitments.

I only collect Takumar M42, Just received a Takumar SMC 200mm F4 in mint condition, so will be trying out this week end.

I am addicted to these lenses.

All the best