Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Greetings and a short question

Hello to all fellow Pentax users! My name is Doug and I am from St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
I have a question concerning my Pentax K-x camera and the 128MB PNY SD card I have been using for awhile now. These items have worked great until this past week. I recently changed my ISO setting to 1600 and now the camera says the card is full even though I have emptied the card of all pictures. Did changing my ISO speed somehow corrupt the card? On a second note, if I increase my ISO speed do I decrease the cards capacity?

11-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

Have you done an in-camera format of the card?
11-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, perhaps time to invest in more cards.
11-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.

As was mentioned, formatting the card in the camera it is to be used in should prepare it for use in that camera. It will empty the card of any images that were previously taken. The use of 1600 for ISO should not cause much, if any, change in the file size. If you choose to shoot RAW type images instead of JPEG, then usually the RAW file will be larger in most cases, and if you shoot RAW+JPEG files at the same time the SD card will fill up faster than if you shoot one or the other.

11-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHawk93 Quote
Did changing my ISO speed somehow corrupt the card? On a second note, if I increase my ISO speed do I decrease the cards capacity?
1) No. 2) Not really. Higher ISO may in some cases produce a slightly larger file. But it would be insignificant. Certainly not what you are seeing.

Try doing a format of the card in camera and see if that helps. After you copy off all photos of course.

My workflow has been to format the card any time it goes into the camera. That is faster than deleting files and gives you a nice clean card. It also detects any errors the card might be developing. SD cards have a long life span but they do not last forever.
11-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input. I'll give the in-camera format a go.
11-26-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
Closed Account

Hi from Australia Doug, good answers already given, so I will just say welcome to the forums and good to have you aboard,

11-27-2017, 01:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps that card is dead. It must be pretty old by now. Get a new one, they are cheap.
11-27-2017, 02:23 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JHawk93 Quote
On a second note, if I increase my ISO speed do I decrease the cards capacity?
At higher ISOs raw filesize goes up, but JPEGs should remain unaffected.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Doug! Welcome to the forum!
11-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
Forum Member

Welcome! A new card sounds just about right.