Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #1

New with a lot of questions

Hello All,

Buying my girlfriend her first DSLR. I know my way around a camera enough to get by, however, can't keep up with the tech. Looking at a K-50 for its water resistance and reputation of Pentax for the seemingly overbuilt quality in comparison to the intro Nikons (D3400 just feels cheap in the body). Is the shutter sensor still on par with the newest entry level DSLRs? Also, 16mp should be more than enough to blow up some pictures (24x24 or there about). Finally, is the video quality as poor as some of the reviews I have read? Any info would be much appreciated, I think any company that is willing to go the extra step to seal up the camera and not charge a ridiculous amount is already a winner in my book.

JR

11-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jjryan612 Quote
Hello All,

Buying my girlfriend her first DSLR. I know my way around a camera enough to get by, however, can't keep up with the tech. Looking at a K-50 for its water resistance and reputation of Pentax for the seemingly overbuilt quality in comparison to the intro Nikons (D3400 just feels cheap in the body). Is the shutter sensor still on par with the newest entry level DSLRs? Also, 16mp should be more than enough to blow up some pictures (24x24 or there about). Finally, is the video quality as poor as some of the reviews I have read? Any info would be much appreciated, I think any company that is willing to go the extra step to seal up the camera and not charge a ridiculous amount is already a winner in my book.

JR
The newer K-70 is quite a bit more advanced compared to the K-50 in terms of image quality. It's actually an amazing value because it outperforms the K-3 II (advanced model) but costs way less. The K-S2 is a step ahead of the K-50, too. Another advantage of those bodies is better low light AF and a newer UI. Also, the K-50's shutter is known for lack of reliability, so if you are looking for longevity you might be safer with the newer models.

16Mp is going to be borderline for 24x24 prints, but it should be doable if you don't need 300 DPI. If big prints are the goal then the K-70's 24Mp will be quite beneficial.

As for video quality, it's fine for casual use, but if you care about things such as bitrate then you'll be disappointed.

You can learn more in our reviews:
Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-50 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia JR, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.
11-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, wow that Adam fellow is fast with the replies...

11-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjryan612 Quote
Hello All,

JR
Adam is good, that is for sure

here is a side by side by side comparison of the K -70 vs. K-S2 vs. K-50

Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

you can find that tool as well as the in depth reviews Adam linked to under " Cameras " above

and you can find out similar info on Pentax Lenses under " Lenses " above as well

lots of good info here and lots of posters willing to share knowledge
11-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Forum Member

I'm missing the K-5 (II) here. It is not too expensive. Same goes for the K-50. With all respect to my fellow replyers but the newer K-70 has the pricetag that comes with it, simply because it is newer.

When I was looking into buying a camera (well actually it lasted quite a while between browsing for and actually buying the camera) I also was drawn to the K-50. Initially simply because of the weather sealing. Later also of the underdog position of Pentax, seemingly following their own path. I wasn't wrong Lastly the picture-quality, though other camera (brands) can make lovely pictures as well, I'm sure.

What I ended up with was a secondhand K-5 II for a nice price, comparable with the price of the K-50 I was looking for the year before. Bought it together with a Sigma 18-250 lens. What I really, really liked about the K-5 II is the full, Dutch manual that came with it. Sadly it was the last model that came out with a paper manual if I'm right. For a amateur like me, buying a first dslr I have browsed so much through this thing.

Now I believe the K-5 is more an advanced model compared to the K-50 or K-70, missing the wee lcd screen on top for example. I really like that screen, but i reckon you get used to what you've got fast enough.

Anyway, what I'm pointing too is that there are a lot of nice older models that have a nice price to it. The shutter-count is supposedly something like 200.000 for a k-5, though I read more than once about going waaay over that. Anyway, I wouldn't worry to much about that. And, you can find out the shutter-count as I'm sure you already know. Mine had 12.601 pictures made with it when I bought it. And now, about 18 months I got the camera, it is about 20.000 pictures. So made about 7500 pictures with it.

Have to say that I don't do video with it. But I think it will actually be fine for your standard stuff. You make do with what you've got right? But indeed, from what I've read the autofocus system in video's is way behind the other brands. Whatever that means.. (I know what it means )

I also haven't got much experience with big printed pictures. Tough I do want to add that my mom actually printed a picture made with her phone (Samsung s4), two weeks ago, and had that printed in approximate 50 x 40 cm (19 x 16 inch), which I did run through Silkypix before (could have been LightRoom or name a program) just so it was in best possible quality it could get. And it came out pretty fine. I don't want to swear in church of course, but that makes me think that it should be fine all in all

Lastly, I would have expected an advice in the older camera's than K-50. The *istD and stuff. I don't own them. But I seen a lot of nice reviews, still in this time and age. And if price is an concern, because it's just supposed to be a nice gift, than maybe that is an idea?

All the best,
11-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You could do worse than the K-50, there are also a few K-5 IIs for sale here, (Or will be soon,) so if your GF likes using yours, you could have the same model, or you give her yours and buy a K-70 or K-3 II!
So many options here, I love my K-50 and have averaged about 2000 shots a month since I got it, so whatever you choose, I imagine you will both be happily snapping away when out together.

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 11-28-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling