Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2017, 02:02 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Hello from the UK.

Hi to everyone.
My first post was (correctly) moved to Troubleshooting so I will introduce myself.
I've used the site for a while to check lens and camera reviews. I've had much help from reading here.
My father in law gave me a Yashica TL Electro in the 1970s which led to the purchase of several lenses.
A few years later I replaced with a Spotmatic.
In the current century I have used a couple of early Pentax digital cameras, starting with an Optio. . so Pentax introduced me to digital photography.
Since that first Pentax digital camera I have used a couple of Fujifilm bridge cameras and a Nikon P5100. I confess to briefly thinking a 16mb bridge was superior to a 12mb DSLR..oops.
I started missing the features of a SLR and after looking around I chose a Pentax K-r. It was my introductory DSLR.
I started out with the 18-55nkit lens and 55-200. I've since added a Sigma 70-300, a Pentax 28-80 and a Hoya 28mm.
I'm expecting an A version of the Pentax 50mm 1.7 in the next few days.
Retirement and an expensive battle with colon cancer have limited my spend in the past year.. however, I'm still here, feel like I won and have been pain free throughout. Surgery in the summer has limited me to using the tiny Nikon but my strength is back and the camera bag is doable again.
I have enjoyed looking at your pics and reviews so have now made my first donation to assist this site. I look forward to donating for years. I will only ever be polite and respectful.

Last edited by Glynn_Smith; 12-03-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: corrected spelling. doops.
12-03-2017, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from " the colonies " Glynn, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Glad to hear that your health issues are subsiding.
Good to have you aboard ( for many years to come !! )
12-03-2017, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greetings from Hampshire.
12-03-2017, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you here contributing to the forum... in more ways than one.

12-03-2017, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcomes.
I immediately obtained an enlarger and table when I got into using the Yashica. I used Kodak Tri-X, Ilford HP5, FP4 and Pan F.
I did a lot of work making publicity photos for local bands which often resulted in me cutting big prints together and using tricks like pencil and salt to disguise the joins.
I now use a Linux operating system with Gimp 2.8 and Luminoscity to abuse my photos into shape. I almost never settle for a pic straight out of the camera..but...my cameras don't internally enhance. I imagine myself to be an artist that uses a camera. I should probably insert the word 'amateur' somewhere.
Digital photography is electrickery. It's magic.

Last edited by Glynn_Smith; 12-03-2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: corrected spelling .. I've gazed at Yashica for years ,, c not k...
12-03-2017, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Glynn, welcome to the forum