Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #1

Hello everyone!

Hello everybody. I'm RookieGuy. New here but excited to make friends and learn my craft.

A touch of background. Growing up my old man was one of "those dads". Nikon attached to the right hand, the unofficial photographer for anything my sister or I did. My first camera was a second or third hand 1976 Nikromat with his old kit lens and access to just about anything he had. So I cut my teeth on manual everything on film. But really haven't done much since film became harder to find.

Fast forward quite a while and now I have a Sony a5000. A good camera for what it is, but I think I want more. So my daughter gets the Sony and, finally over information overload, I'm getting a k70 for Xmas along with whatever lenses I can pick up.

What finally sealed the deal was three things. Features and durability, this site, and combining Mrs. Rookie's love of second hand stores, flea markets, and the like with the fact that just about any Pentax lens fits any Pentax camera.

My basic shooting style is walk around with the camera and shoot what appeals to me. Usually it's in the woods here in the Mid Atlantic area, I have 3 state parks within a 20 minute drive. But also for taking family pics. I had to grow up with my dad's Nikon flash on Christmas and I'm looking forward to blinding my own children.

Anyways, I look forward to learning a lot here. To annoying everyone with basic questions that should be answered in sticky threads like all other noobs. So there ya go.

12-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, great intro, look forward to bumping in to you about the place.
12-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome

don't forget to add a " virtual reality " stroll of the Market Place here to your strolls through the second hand stores and flea markets when you look for future lenses

be sure to check out reviews under " lenses " above
12-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
welcome

don't forget to add a " virtual reality " stroll of the Market Place here to your strolls through the second hand stores and flea markets when you look for future lenses

be sure to check out reviews under " lenses " above
Oh believe me I found the lens review page. You can't wander the internet looking Pentax gear without stumbling across it. Which is great.
I do look forward to the marketplace once I learn what I need. The flea markets, well, Mrs. Rookie likes those. Which means I "get" to go. It's helpful if I have my own little scavenger hunt too.

12-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
12-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. Have a nice Holiday season!
12-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
pjv
Proudly Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia RG, and welcome to the Pentax forums, good to have you aboard.

12-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A warm welcome from a Danish K-70 owner - an absolutely amazing camera!
12-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know the feeling, I grew up with my Dad's fully-manual Minolta doing photography for school newspapers and yearbooks. It was so simple back then, just line up a couple lines in the VF!

I had a K10 in which I installed a split-focus screen for manual lens use, that was fun to play with.
12-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
Split focus screen, you say? That sounds like a future upgrade.