Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

uv ir pictures

i have Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 200-500mm F5.6 (31A) that i am useinfg on fujifilm IS Pro which is out i uv ,ir cut filter on it. what filters does need to use to take pictures of sky at night.

12-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You probably won't find too much to be gained shooting the sky in IR. IR is mainly used to see through dust with large telescopes, but they are using deep IR (beyond 900nm). However, you might get some interesting false color images if you combine IR shots with visible light shots. To shoot IR, all you need is a Hoya R72 or RM90 filter over your lens. You can also get thin sheet IR filters at B&H (Lee) which would work in a filter holder. The latter might be more economical with the large front lens element in the lens you mentioned.
12-16-2017, 01:33 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 24john24 Quote
uv ir pictures
Question answered... just as well as I don't have a scooby, welcome to the forum.
12-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LifePixel will convert cameras, removing the sensor filter. IR isn't too bad, but UV gets expensive. The lens filters allowing only UV to pass are VERY costly.

For astrophotgraphy, you'll want to look up the threads here. There is a small but insanely talented group doing this.