Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #1

Pentax 67 / Takumar 90mm Lens Shutter not opening

Hello, I bought a Pentax 67 from a friend a few months ago, before using it, I had to checked out by a camera repair place and they did some work and said it was all ok. A few days ago I went out shooting with it and shot two rolls, both of which came out 100% blank. After making sure I had not made any mistake in the developing, I ran some film through the camera to see what may be going on, during inspection, I notice that when shooting the lens is closing - I'm not an expert but it looks like there are two shutters in the lens, the first, the one which lets me play around with the aperture, i.e, so I can stop down using the manual setting, and then the next is the lens shutter - It's a shutter lens (Takumar 6X7, 90mm, 2.8) - I've tried running film through it multiple times and changing settings from 'S' to 'U' on lens - Manual to Auto - all combinations - shuter speeds (1/30 - 1/500th) and nothing seems to be working. The camera shutter is fine, it shoots - it's just the lens isn't opening when the camera shutter is opening. Any suggestions?

12-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by julia1992 Quote
Hello, I bought a Pentax 67 from a friend a few months ago, before using it, I had to checked out by a camera repair place and they did some work and said it was all ok. A few days ago I went out shooting with it and shot two rolls, both of which came out 100% blank. After making sure I had not made any mistake in the developing, I ran some film through the camera to see what may be going on, during inspection, I notice that when shooting the lens is closing - I'm not an expert but it looks like there are two shutters in the lens, the first, the one which lets me play around with the aperture, i.e, so I can stop down using the manual setting, and then the next is the lens shutter - It's a shutter lens (Takumar 6X7, 90mm, 2.8) - I've tried running film through it multiple times and changing settings from 'S' to 'U' on lens - Manual to Auto - all combinations - shuter speeds (1/30 - 1/500th) and nothing seems to be working. The camera shutter is fine, it shoots - it's just the lens isn't opening when the camera shutter is opening. Any suggestions?
That is a known issue with that lens, which is why it was discontinued and replaced with the 165 leaf shutter. I had my 90mm do the same thing. I ultimately had the leaf shutter disconnected, the tech who did it said that it was a poor design to begin with.

This post should be in the troubleshooting or medium format section.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 12-19-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added info
12-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sorry that it's not better news for you.
12-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by julia1992 Quote
Did you follow these procedures when using the lens in the leaf-shutter mode? You can skip the flash connection if you are not using one.

You have to move the U/S lever to U for “Usual”, set the Leaf Shutter speed, set the camera shutter to 1/8 sec. or lower, cock the lens shutter and connect the flashes x-sync cable to the lenses flash terminal. You have to remember to cock the lens shutter for each shot, or the cameras shutter speed will be used.

My guess is that you did not set the cameras shutter speed to 1/8 sec. or lower.

Please also read the lens manual:

6X7 90MM F2.8 LS Manual

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 12-19-2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added manual.