Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #1

Outdoor lens

Hi everybody! I just joined the forum and I am looking forward to many interesting conversations. My Pentax history goes back to 1989 when I bought the P30N, and I have remained faithful to the brand ever since. For a few years I have been using a K3, mostly for outdoor photography at my excursions and mountain hiking. The DA 16-85mm is very nice for the purpose but I'm looking for a slightly lighter lens, in the medium wide angle range, zoom or prime lens. The DA 35mm 2.4 seems great, but you would have to be careful with weather conditions. The same with the Sigma 35mm 1.4, it has superb optical properties, but it is huge! Actually I tend to the HD 20-40mm, the weight is ok and it is WR, but seems to have weaknesses in vignetting and sharpness. But it is always different when you actually use it. What experiences have you made with this lens? Is it worth the purchase?

12-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hermanthegerman Quote
Hi everybody! I just joined the forum and I am looking forward to many interesting conversations. My Pentax history goes back to 1989 when I bought the P30N, and I have remained faithful to the brand ever since. For a few years I have been using a K3, mostly for outdoor photography at my excursions and mountain hiking. The DA 16-85mm is very nice for the purpose but I'm looking for a slightly lighter lens, in the medium wide angle range, zoom or prime lens. The DA 35mm 2.4 seems great, but you would have to be careful with weather conditions. The same with the Sigma 35mm 1.4, it has superb optical properties, but it is huge! Actually I tend to the HD 20-40mm, the weight is ok and it is WR, but seems to have weaknesses in vignetting and sharpness. But it is always different when you actually use it. What experiences have you made with this lens? Is it worth the purchase?
I have used the DA 20-40 ltd for the past years since I bought it on my k-3 and k-1. There is no evidence of vignetting on the k-3 (at least not from my experience) but some vignetting showing on the k-1 as expected in the longer and widest focal lengths but still manageable in post processing. I don't see much vignetting around 25mm focal length. It is light and versatile lens to use either indoor or outdoor if that the focal length range that you mostly work on. Like any other Pentax lenses, you need to ensure that the focal is spot on with proper AF fine adjustment. I have used this lens almost exclusively on my k-3, I have recently bought the 16-85, those two lenses will be my go-to lenses depending on the condition whether it is indoor or outdoor.
12-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my 20-40 on my K-3. It is very light and while not a wide range it goes from wider than normal to longer than normal giving a nice option for carry that is weather resistant.
12-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You should also consider the 18-135mm. IQ is in between the 18-55 WR and the 16-85, but it is a light lens and the focal length is ideal for the outdoors, IMO. I mostly shoot at f8 outside, where lens performance tends to equalize. The 18-135 has many happy users, as shown in the lens reviews here.
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

12-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the 20-40. I felt I was gambling a little when I bought it, as the reviews were mixed. But on my k-3 it's a very useful lens, that's become my APS-C walkabout kit, along with the 15mm limited. It does this job very well. The range works well (with the 15), and it has got a good balance of IQ/size/convenience and WR.

I've thinking of using my K-1 and mounting a walkabout lens on it, but they are too heavy for me. The 20-40 & 15 combo is about perfect.
12-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

no experience with the lens the op mentioned

I'm going to throw out another idea

I really like my SMC Pentax D FA 100mm F2. 8 macro

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

it shares its optical design with the newer 100mm F2.8 macro WR and two older lenses:

" The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. "

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

the lens allows me a 1:1 macro capability and to massively crop into the image if I want to without losing detail
12-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Stefan. Very good answers already given to your question, so I will just say " welcome to the Pentax forums " and good to have you here.

12-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your comments! Cheers!
12-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'll let others comment on the newer zoom offerings... as I'm only an old die hard prime man.
01-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
I also read the other posts in the forum about the 20-40mm, many sound enthusiastic, but I haven't decided yet, mainly due to the price. These lenses don't come cheap here in Germany, even used. I guess I will wait until a good offer crosses my path, might consider to borrow one first.