Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #1

Estate Sale Find Lot of Pentax Equipment

Hi, FIrst time posting here. Thought I'd share my recent find that brought me to your forums. I mainly shoot digital, but I like collecting older cameras and have a variety already, from Canon, Olympus, Kodak and Nikon, but came across a lot of Pentax equipment at a recent estate sale. Two cameras, an early Asahi Spotmatic and an Honeywell Pentax H1a. The lenses were mostly in pristine condition, having been kept in their original cases, but unfortunately both cameras are in need of quite a bit of TLC. I quickly picked up a M42 mount to Sony adapter so that I can use the lenses with my A7 and am pleased with the early results. Batch included Asahi 50mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4, 300mm f/6.3, 70-150mm f/4.5, a Vivitar 100mm 2.8, Tamron 300mm f/5.6 "Adapt-a-Matic", and a Soligor 200mm f/3.5.

The Spotmatic is interesting as it doesn't have the Pentax label like the pictures I'm finding on the Web. I've attached a image of the Spotmatic. Be interested in hearing any information about why it doesn't have the Pentax moniker on it. Main problem with the Spotmatic is an incredible amount of mold damage to the Prism, and the shutter seems to stick occasionally. The Honeywell is in decent condition, but has a sticking mirror. I took it apart and lubed it, and it is better, but randomly sticks up now. Will probably let them both go on eBay for parts. Some of the lenses will end up that way as well once I've decided which are worth keeping.

Thanks for all the information.

Mike
Washington, DC

12-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mike, welcome. The picture of the Spotty didn't show up!
12-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Here is the picture. I must have done something wrong the first time.
Attached Images

12-23-2017, 07:18 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, certainly an interesting find.

12-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like someone ground off the Pentax name.
12-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
It was probably brought back by a soldier from Vietnam. Some weird law and/or regulation required then to do that.
12-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
That did occur to me, but I couldn't think of a possible reason someone would do that. Looking at it more closely, I believe you must be right. The right edge of the mark appears to have a trailing mark when the tool may have been lifted away. The paint they used in the groove was high quality, it doesn't scrape off.

12-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
It was probably brought back by a soldier from Vietnam. Some weird law and/or regulation required then to do that.
Did they really do that with some cameras? That makes as much sense as anything else I can think of. Have you seen an example like this before? That would make an interesting collectors item. I wasn't able to find examples of cameras done this way, but I'll keep digging. Thanks for the input.
'