Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #1

New member and new owner of the (not so new) K-5ii

Hi all and thanks Adam for the welcome email. I am based in the UK and recently picked up a next to new K-5ii (just 2400 actuation's) from ebay.

I am novice / hobbyist who has owned Canon DSLR's in the past, but the lack of weather sealing on their smaller bodies became a constant frustration, prompting a garage / boot sale. I like to wander around capturing people / street scenes in all weathers; big bodies / big lenses and camera covers are no fun to walk around with.

I toyed with going mirrorless before picking up my ebay bargain. The Pentax k-5 ii seems to tick the size / weather sealing box, is built like a small tank, and it feature wise will be more than enough for my needs.

Since my purchase I have been on the lookout for a walk around lens to get me started (Pentax 18-135mm WR), but disappointed by the lack of used items in the UK (WR is a must for reasons above). The UK market is clearly cornered by the big two. I am hoping my search ends soon, before it turns to frustration (again)

Look forward to learning from you all.

Jason

12-28-2017, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and enjoy that "new" camera.
12-28-2017, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by j_c_boing Quote
Since my purchase I have been on the lookout for a walk around lens to get me started (Pentax 18-135mm WR)
Hi, welcome! That lens is a good choice. You can also check other Pentax lenses here (checked feature WR on the right hand side):
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lenssearch/?inproduction=0&wr=1

With user reviews here:
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I would also recommend you look for used markets in all of the EU and on the marketplace on this forum. Yes, not a lot of people are selling their WR gear - probably because they like it too much
12-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from " The Colonies " Jason, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.

12-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
12-29-2017, 12:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all. Great to be here.
12-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum from another part of the world who understands the importance of weather sealing

Another lens that I like that also has good weather sealing is the DA16-85 WR. Not quite as long as the 18-135, but I think it's a touch sharper and noticeably wider, which I prefer for landscapes. The DA18-55 WR is a decent kit lens that performs adequately stopped down and should be easy to find for a very modest price.

If you happen to find a DA*16-50 lens that has been converted over to screw drive, these have the best weather sealing (thus the *) that Pentax offers and this lens is a faster f2.8. They had some issues with their SDM drive, but they can be converted over to screw drive and perform quite well after the "adjustment". But because of this spotty reputation, they can be had for cheap... It is bigger and heavier than the 18-135 and is about the same size as the 16-85.

Good luck in your search!
12-29-2017, 01:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for your insight Mike. Very useful information and certainly some food for thought if my search continues to be fruitless.

12-29-2017, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For street shooting, the HD DA20-40 limited might be a good weather resistant option. It is considerably smaller than any of the other zoom lenses mentioned so far, but is still f/2.8 at the wide end. It also looks *really* good.
12-30-2017, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arenít all the limiteds WR? (I canít afford one so dont really study them) if that is the case then you have a host of possibilities, although they are not cheap. They are tremendous lenses though. I have the kit 18-55 & the standard wr 50-200. The 50-200 produces nice results but is a bit soft at extremes and doesnít give you the wide angle you may be looking for. They are cheap though, mine cost £65 & they offer you something different. Also, donít forget vintage lenses for dry days. With the Pentax k you can find some lovely glass for peanuts.
12-30-2017, 02:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 20-40 is the ONLY limited with WR.
Posting misleading rhetorical questions is not helpful.
12-30-2017, 02:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Arenít all the limiteds WR? (I canít afford one so dont really study them) if that is the case then you have a host of possibilities, although they are not cheap. They are tremendous lenses though. I have the kit 18-55 & the standard wr 50-200. The 50-200 produces nice results but is a bit soft at extremes and doesnít give you the wide angle you may be looking for. They are cheap though, mine cost £65 & they offer you something different. Also, donít forget vintage lenses for dry days. With the Pentax k you can find some lovely glass for peanuts.
The DA limited's are generally out of my budget at present (maybe one day). That aside I am considering all other budget friendly options, alongside my quest for a WR walk around. Thanks for your reply,
12-30-2017, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

it is not WR but it is small

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS

another choice might be the slightly larger and more expensive

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

some members reportedly have found some at very good prices:

Your latest acquisition - PentaxForums.com

I have the XS as well as the HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-da-16-85mm-f35-56/introduction.html?src=lrdb

and like them both

until recently I had a K 5 II and it did a great job

as is usual, the only problems I had were directly related to " operator error " as opposed to the fault of the camera

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-30-2017 at 06:11 AM.
12-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Posting a rhetorical question allowed you to give both me and the original poster information we didnít previously have. I mistakenly believed all limited lenses were wr! It also had the potential of opening a new and quite possibly helpful and previously uninvestigated tangent. If we donít ask, how are we supposed to learn! What isnít helpful is rebuking someone who is merely trying to be a participant in an interesting discussion and nothing kills a thread faster than a snarky comment!
12-30-2017, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum