Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 07:10 AM   #1

Difficulty in doing anything, including getting onto forum

Been doing a bit of astrophotography with Pentax Spotmatic 35mm film camera, 30 years ago. I now have a Pentax K100D Super camera with a Sigma DG 70 - 300 zoom lens as well as the original 50 mm lens. No problem taking automatic photo's, but endless problem taking manual photo's. For one - I can't see what I am shooting - Can you only see that in the viewfinder? What are the manual settings for general photography eg Sun, cloud and snow?
Then how do you photograph the moon with manual settings specifically with the Pentax K100D super, with step by step instructions?

01-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use a tripod, zoom in close with your 70-300mm. Switch your camera to Manual mode and your lens to manual focus. Your exact exposure will vary according to the conditions, but in manual exposure mode start with ISO800, a shutter speed of 1/250 sec and an aperture of f/5.6. Adjust the ISO or aperture until you can see detail clearly in the surface. Avoid using a slower shutter speed as you tweak the settings. This will result in the moon blurring.
01-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
When doing stars using your live view mode along wiith manual focus is a good method.
As far as I can remember from my own K100D-Super, it did not have live view.
01-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the user has access to live view mode it is useful, in this case though, as you have said, the K100D Super may not have it.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-02-2018 at 08:56 AM.
01-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can play back shots after taking them, but I don't recall being able to compose then on the k100 series via the lcd. That's not surprising as the sensor is a ccd one which tends to be too slow to output live images due to limited data channels.
01-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The “general settings” for the K100D are the same as they were for your Spotmatic, except your ASA film speed is now ISO and can now be set by you in-camera.

Generally yes, you would be using the viewfinder on a DSLR to compose an image just like you did on your spotmatic. The K100D does not have live view, which allows you to view the image on the back screen, so you have to use the viewfinder.
01-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, I hope these replies have resolved your issues.

01-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by peterboshoff Quote
Been doing a bit of astrophotography with Pentax Spotmatic 35mm film camera, 30 years ago. I now have a Pentax K100D Super camera with a Sigma DG 70 - 300 zoom lens as well as the original 50 mm lens. No problem taking automatic photo's, but endless problem taking manual photo's. For one - I can't see what I am shooting - Can you only see that in the viewfinder? What are the manual settings for general photography eg Sun, cloud and snow?
Then how do you photograph the moon with manual settings specifically with the Pentax K100D super, with step by step instructions?
The K100D super doesn't have live view, so yes you have to use the viewfinder.

The most critical part is getting the focus right, which can be a challenge. I look at the edge of the moon, and if that isn't enough, do trial and error.

The shutter speed should be fast enough, and don't stop down more than 1 or 2 stops to avoid reducing ambient light.

Do note that the K100D super is pretty archaic tech by modern standards, so it will require patience, similar to a film camera. That said, the same photographic principles of getting the right exposure and focus apply, so you should feel mostly at home

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have posted, the K100 does not have liveview - but with it being dark, it's not going to be worth much. So, I would do this....
  • Lens - Use the 50mm wide open - f1.4, or f1.8, or f2.....
  • Raw - shoot raw and not JPG
  • Focusing - Go out earlier in the day and focus on something about a mile or two away. Take some tape and tape down the focus ring and put the body in manual focus.
  • Exposure time - use the rule of 500 ..... 500/(focal length) or about 10 seconds to start out.
  • ISO - go about as high as you can go. ISO 800 should be good for a low, but when framing push it up to as high as you can go ISO 3200. Take an image and then review it on the back to see if you are getting the framing you desire. Adjust and review again, until you are satisfied. Then turn it down to about 800 to lower the noise and start shooting.
  • Tripod - You are going to need a tripod and an external shutter release.
  • Stacking - You can take as many images as you wish. Then take them and feed them into a software program like DeepSkyStacker or StarStaX. They are both free downloads. You don't have a tracker to move the camera with the movement in the sky, so just keep the camera fixed and take 20, 50 or so images. Then load them on your PC and feed them into one of the software utilities. They will automatically align the images and stack them together - and produce a single result which is the summation of all of the individual images.
It is going to take some trial and error to start to get what you want. The K100 is somewhat limited on ISO levels.

You might consider doing star trails as a first step. This is just letting the shutter stay open for a very long time 60 seconds and longer.