Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
How about a wi fi connected analog watch? Then you could use an app on your phone to set everything
I know you're joking () but then I'd have to buy one of those screen-equipped phones, for which I otherwise have no use. How about a watch with wireless auto-set from some central location? Would not work with an analog watch (SFAIK) My wife had a digital alarm that was supposed to work that way = reset to local time automatically via a signal from an official time-keeping station nearby. It worked the first time she carried it on a trip, and never again.

01-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stenba Quote
Puzzling new words
Welcome to the forum, me I love all these hip expressions and buzz words... it keep me young looking them all up with Google.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-04-2018 at 02:29 PM.
01-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I know you're joking () but then I'd have to buy one of those screen-equipped phones, for which I otherwise have no use. How about a watch with wireless auto-set from some central location? Would not work with an analog watch (SFAIK) My wife had a digital alarm that was supposed to work that way = reset to local time automatically via a signal from an official time-keeping station nearby. It worked the first time she carried it on a trip, and never again.
Yes you are best to stay away from those "smart phones" (so called anyway) as long as you can. I was pushed into that world many years ago by my employer, and now I am not sure if I will ever be able to go back.

Interesting enough, you can sill buy an "analog" watch that will synchronize with the atomic clock signals: amazon.com: Casio Men&?tag=pentaxforums-20's WVA-M640D-1ACR Wave Ceptor Analog-Digital Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch: Watches . I'm sure the thing is more "digital" than analog on the inside but at least it has real hands. I used to have the cheaper "digital" version of this years ago and it worked pretty well.
01-04-2018, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
"Fine Art Photography." Heavily post-processed photo taken with very expensive equipment, given a poster-style border and signed "Philboyd Studge Photography" or the like. Usually of no artistic interest at all.
At Last !! Somebody else has heard of Filboid Studge. Sorry, I didn't mean to be Saki.

01-04-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What @photoptimist said.

I will add that 'film cameras' were not called 'film cameras' they were called 'cameras' Now that we need to distinguish between film and digital the need for terminology to do that has arisen. Analog versus digital is in common usage but no one is going to mind if you use film and digital.
These terms are called retronyms – a new term to distinguish something that is no longer the current technology. "Film camera" is a retronym.

Consider "acoustic guitar. Once there were guitars and "electric guitars." Now there are guitars and "acoustic guitars."

Those of us of a certain age wore diapers when we were babes. In the 1960s along come Pampers and moms chose between diapers or "disposable diapers." Now today's moms choose between diapers or "cloth diapers."

We used to have 'phones and push-button (or touch-tone) 'phones. Later this changed to 'phones and dial 'phones. Today we have cells (U.S.) or mobiles (U.K.) and landlines.

Time marches on and language evolves along the way.
01-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia Steve.
Hello

---------- Post added 01-05-18 at 04:58 AM ----------

We were on the subject of cameras but watches are ok. I have 2 lomo pocket watches they are lomo because you have to wind them up and you never know what time you're going to get.
A smartphone is just a phone without buttons and comes in very handy knowing your exact location altitude direction you're facing the current position of satellites and the temperature while you're sat in Starbucks with a skini latte and a panini
01-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stenba Quote
Hello

---------- Post added 01-05-18 at 04:58 AM ----------

We were on the subject of cameras but watches are ok. I have 2 lomo pocket watches they are lomo because you have to wind them up and you never know what time you're going to get.
A smartphone is just a phone without buttons and comes in very handy knowing your exact location altitude direction you're facing the current position of satellites and the temperature while you're sat in Starbucks with a skini latte and a panini
Yes all kinds of practical uses for smartphones

I was away from photography for many years and bought a DSLR in 2015 and joined these forums. I had to pick up on the new terminology, some related to new concepts in the digital photo world and some just new terms for old things. I chuckle at the term "mirrorless camera". I have had quite a few "mirrorless" cameras (including the first couple cameras I owned) and none of them have anything to do with the modern definition

01-05-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sometimes the analog vs. digital divide creates bargains:

This 'Broken Digital Camera' Was Quite a Bargain
01-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Slightly off-topic : a local Charity Shop had a pile of Blu-Ray discs at 10p each, in cases, all looking new. I enquired why, and the assistant informed me that they must be damaged as they wouldn't play in her DVD player.

Also, a few years ago, at a boot sale (lurching slightly closer to topic - but not much) I found a brown leather lens accessory case stamped 'Leica' for £2.50, for which I thought I might have a use. Picked it up, opened it - inside was a silver teleconverter, also Leica. Being of an honest mien, I attempted to mention this to the stall holder, who immediately barked 'That's the price ! Take it or leave it !'

So, I took it - and sold it to a local camera shop for £80.