Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #1

Puzzling new words

Hello all I'm Steve new to forums but not photography

There are 2 terms that now seem to be used but I can't see why.

There are some i do understand such as lomography. Company retailing unbelievably expensive plastic Chinese cameras and expensive film.
Lomo taking snap shots at random without framing, metering or focusing using out of date film for artistic effect.

But seriously the new use of the old word analogue to describe a film camera. They have always been called film or film cameras as far as I knew.

The other is copy. I don't get that one at all. I once bought a very bad copy of a minolta x300 it was no where near as good as the original. Then I started to feel sorry for the amount of people who had bought copies of all sorts of cameras and lenses. I even started searching the net trying to find out how you can spot a copy of an original. But if you have a film camera or analogue copy of a a camera which is fake is it then a copy of a copy.

I would be grateful if someone could explain. Ta.

01-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In this context, "copy" is just a unit of the product. It's not meant to refer to counterfeit goods. If a company manufactures 100,000 units of a lens, that's 100,000 copies of that lens design, and some of those copies will be bad straight out of the box or become bad through use/abuse before appearing on eBay.

"Analog" is simply meant as the opposite of "digital" even though many aspects of film photography have digital aspects such as the discrete incremental settings of aperture and shutter speed which are also related to powers of two and the simple fact that each grain in the emulsion is a 1-or-0 binary object in either being hit by enough light to kick-off the conversion to silver or not getting enough light, not developing into a grain, and being washed away by fixer.
01-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What @photoptimist said.

I will add that 'film cameras' were not called 'film cameras' they were called 'cameras' Now that we need to distinguish between film and digital the need for terminology to do that has arisen. Analog versus digital is in common usage but no one is going to mind if you use film and digital.

I'll admit that using the word 'copy' in this sense may seem odd. But any other term I can think of seems even odder. How about 'unit'? Is your 'unit' a good one or is it a bit decentered? Hmm.
01-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get annoyed when when all the clocks and watches I own must be called "analog." They are just clocks and watches - not "analog timepieces" or "face clocks," or "circular digital array watches," or "two-armed time-keepers," - - they are just plain CLOCKS or WATCHES.

01-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Lomography is more than a company, it's a group of photographers who seek to capture the best possible photos, creatively, using equipment that modern standards would otherwise dismiss. Some of the gear they produce isn't cheap, but that makes sense given the niche aspect of it. This may prove an interesting read:

Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 64mm F2.9 Art Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

As for the word "copy", it'll grow on you over time. There's really no better term at the moment and "copy" is so concise that it just works when posting/reading a lot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-03-2018, 08:57 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this the thread where us old guys bitch about Millennials?
01-03-2018, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I get annoyed when when all the clocks and watches I own must be called "analog." They are just clocks and watches - not "analog timepieces" or "face clocks," or "circular digital array watches," or "two-armed time-keepers," - - they are just plain CLOCKS or WATCHES.
Yeah my brain is pretty "analog" that way too, but maybe it is the age I am perfectly good with film instead of analog. But either way as long as we know what we mean.

We gave this pocket watch to my Daughter for Christmas and she loves it. All is not lost with the millennials

01-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ooooh, that is very pretty!
01-04-2018, 02:20 AM   #9
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia Steve.
01-04-2018, 02:59 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Some other curious photographic word usages:

"Image." An average quality photo taken by a serious photographer, often signed "Joe Schmoe Photography" or somesuch at the bottom of the frame.

"Fine Art Photography." Heavily post-processed photo taken with very expensive equipment, given a poster-style border and signed "Philboyd Studge Photography" or the like. Usually of no artistic interest at all.

"Bad Copy." A camera or lens owned by somebody technically inept.

"Street Photography." Black and white photos of random people walking down a street.

Feels so good to get those off my chest.
01-04-2018, 05:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
Yeah my brain is pretty "analog" that way too, but maybe it is the age I am perfectly good with film instead of analog. But either way as long as we know what we mean.

We gave this pocket watch to my Daughter for Christmas and she loves it. All is not lost with the millennials
That's a pretty watch - photogenic. I prefer a watch with a black face, white hands (preferably wide) and no day-date. Because of training since grammar school, as soon as I look at it I instantly know the time, and how much time I have until an appointment because of an instantaneous evaluation of how long it takes for the big hand to go from here to there, That's not how much time as "33 minutes." It's how much time as "sensed."

I do not like day/day, because they are a pain to reset on a monthly basis, oh wait, not this month, oh wait, I forgot to do it on the first two months back so the date is off by a day, or is it three days? Do I set it ahead or back? Wait, where is the paper calendar so I know what date to set. Oops! I pulled the stem too far and changed the day of the week so I have to reset that. Oops! I lost track of how many times I rotated the stem. Is the watch in AM or PM? Will the day and date change at midnight or noon?? AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
01-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia Steve.
Yes hello Steve and welcome. Sorry for all the rants and diversions. I have scratched my head some about lomography also, but it does have some kind of nostalgic curiosity. To each their own I guess.
01-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I do not like day/day, because they are a pain to reset on a monthly basis, oh wait, not this month
I have a Casio watch from about 20 years ago that has "analog" hands and a functional LCD digital display of the day and month. Best of both worlds, because I can see the time at a glance and it knows how many days in a month. The only time I need to adjust it is when I change the battery - about once every two years.

Unfortunately it seems you cannot buy such a watch any more. Hipsters have decreed that such displays are not cool and when I bought a watch for Lady Lucan recently I found every watch with a date display used a mechanical wheel with the numerals 1-31 on it, one of which shows each day through a window in the dial. So, as you say, it needs adjusting after every month with less than 31 days. Even worse, it shows the day of the week in optionally English or French, and to get the right date, the right day of the week AND the right language takes about 10 minutes with the inadequate instructions in front of you (I rewrote them for my own future use) getting sore finger tips turning the winder back and forth dozens of times between certain time spots to do so.

Why are watches made harder to use than they were 20 years ago? This is a prime example of progress reversal.
01-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have a Casio watch from about 20 years ago that has "analog" hands and a functional LCD digital display of the day and month. Best of both worlds, because I can see the time at a glance and it knows how many days in a month. The only time I need to adjust it is when I change the battery - about once every two years..
I did go looking for an "analog" watch, black face white hands, digital date (day of the week optional). I think they are only sold by snarks. A thing I INTENSELY dislike about digital wrist watches: four buttons around the edges - which one does what? How long do I hold this one down in order to do what? After I get the "mode" button to allow me adjust the time (instead of stop-watch count up; stop-watch count-down; alarm set; lap time; pulse; respiration rate; calories burned; current time in Mumbasa; minutes to go before my funeral; etc) then I have to figure which button to push to actually change the time, or the date, or both. Without having the original instructions in hand; NO HOPE.
01-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did go looking for an "analog" watch, black face white hands, digital date (day of the week optional). I think they are only sold by snarks. A thing I INTENSELY dislike about digital wrist watches: four buttons around the edges - which one does what? How long do I hold this one down in order to do what? After I get the "mode" button to allow me adjust the time (instead of stop-watch count up; stop-watch count-down; alarm set; lap time; pulse; respiration rate; calories burned; current time in Mumbasa; minutes to go before my funeral; etc) then I have to figure which button to push to actually change the time, or the date, or both. Without having the original instructions in hand; NO HOPE.
How about a wi fi connected analog watch? Then you could use an app on your phone to set everything