Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Nice! And the serial number is in that 779xxx range too. I do believe itís original from the factory as well. Itís too perfectly and nicely donít to be otherwise. Thank you so much for sharing!

QuoteOriginally posted by Alepy Quote
Hey guys,

since someone in the thread mentioned it'd be nice if a few more owners of this particular variety posted their gear, I'm going to post mine now

It's a Pentax K1000 SE (without the sticker though), Serial #7790814, featuring
- both the ASAHI and AoCo logos,
- the "Asahi Opt. Co." inscription on the upper rear side,
- this kind of puck left of the prism on the top plate,
- the split-screen and microprism viewfinder, and
- this particularly bespoken diamond-shaped leatherette.

My father got it as a gift from
my uncle in 1997, who bought it back in the late 1970s somewhere in the Chicago, IL, area.

For I read in various forums that some people picked their's from different shops in very different places, like somewhere in Arizona, Colorado etc., I highly doubt that this leatherette is a custom job, but rather a very seldom variant right from the factory.

Cheers and greetings from Germany
AP

---------- Post added 02-06-19 at 07:06 AM ----------

I just saw this! Nice find! Are you going to keep it?

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This one came in a lot I bought on shopgoodwill.com...

779xxxx serial #. Bump on top plate. No stickers though, either SE or Assembled in Hong Kong...The lens was an M 50/2, I think the K 55/1.8 looks nicer on it

02-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lcerizo Quote
]I just saw this! Nice find! Are you going to keep it?
Of the 5 K1000s I currently own this is probably the one I will keep.
02-07-2019, 02:02 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by lcerizo Quote
I do believe itís original from the factory as well. Itís too perfectly and nicely donít to be otherwise.
Well, according to Wikipedia, we might be right. Quote:

"The K1000 SE is otherwise identical to the regular K1000, except that the SE's from the first two years of production in late 1977 to 1978 used a Black Diamond patterned leatherette (Pre 780XXX serial number) for approximately 2500 units and then a brown leather instead of black after that on the later early SE models."
[Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K1000]

So, from a total of over three million units, only 2,500 SEís feature this quirky leatherette. Iíd say this is quite rare
However, you know how much you can trust sources like Wikipedia. Particularly this bit quoted above lacks any sort of reference.
03-28-2019, 04:58 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alepy Quote
Well, according to Wikipedia, we might be right. Quote:

"The K1000 SE is otherwise identical to the regular K1000, except that the SE's from the first two years of production in late 1977 to 1978 used a Black Diamond patterned leatherette (Pre 780XXX serial number) for approximately 2500 units and then a brown leather instead of black after that on the later early SE models."
[Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K1000]

So, from a total of over three million units, only 2,500 SEís feature this quirky leatherette. Iíd say this is quite rare
However, you know how much you can trust sources like Wikipedia. Particularly this bit quoted above lacks any sort of reference.
I think they are rare too LOL! I just happen to have a brown one too that's mentioned in that article. It's super nice as well! And yes...Wikipedia has it's issues, but sometimes they are right ha.