Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Back to basics! with a curious K1000 SE? diamond pattern leatherette w/ SE sticker

Hello from Arizona! I learned on my dad's Pentax back in the 70's. Played with film/darkroom for years. Been through the digital age from 2001 onward, owning a brick and mortar portrait studio. Tired of the digital humdrum and getting back to basics. I LOVE FILM!

So anyway...I picked up this unique K1000 supposedly "SE" online. Probably paid too much for it, (140) but it's unique and I like that. I've removed the lame SE Sticker that was on it when I bought it. It has a diamond pattern "leatherette" covering...very easy to hold. ISO range is 20-3200...going to shoot high speed in this one. It has the Split Image with Microprism Collar. SN is 7796802. I'm posting pictures from the listing online with the camera as I received it (minus the strap). And then after I cleaned and detailed it. It seems to be in good working order from what I can tell...I'm shooting my first roll through it now.

I know there's some old threads regarding the authenticity of the "specialness" of this camera. Has anything new come to light recently? just curious! I'm going to keep it and love it either way because it's not like most other K1000's out there.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
01-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a custom job to me- but very nice!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice camera...!
The most difficult thing is going to find batteries for the on board meter system... (At least it is for me...)
Good luck with it and I'm looking forward to seeing the result of your work from it... (It just may inspire me to break out my brass body K-X and run some film through it!

Cheers!
01-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like a custom job to me- but very nice!
found this for what it's worth? no telling if it's true or not! I have seen these surface once in awhile. Maybe a camera store put the original sticker on there.
Asahi: Pentax K1000 SE Price Guide: estimate a camera value

01-04-2018, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice camera! This is a known variant of the K1000 SE and not particularly rare.* It and similar "sticker SE" bodies have been discussed in depth on other threads here over the years. The one below was first in line with a Google search for "K1000 SE"...

K1000 with SE sticker - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by lcerizo Quote
I've removed the lame SE Sticker that was on it when I bought it.
Pity...so much for specialness

Steve

* There is one for sale on the PF Marketplace at present. Reports pop up with some regularity on this site.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-04-2018 at 10:42 AM.
01-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nice camera! This is a known variant of the K1000 SE and not particularly rare.* It and similar "sticker SE" bodies have been discussed in depth on other threads here over the years. The one below was first in line with a Google search for "K1000 SE"...

K1000 with SE sticker - PentaxForums.com

Pity...so much for specialness

Steve

* There is one for sale on the PF Marketplace at present.
yes, there certainly is a lot of information out there on this "mystery variant". it would help if everyone who had one would add to a list of serial #'s and then the picture might become clearer
01-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

yes, there certainly is a lot of information out there on this "mystery variant". it would help if everyone who had one would add to a list of serial #'s and then the picture might become clearer
I am not sure, but available photos seem to indicate serial numbers in the 77xxxxxx - 78xxxxxx range. Here is another (longer) thread.

K1000 enthusiasts and would-be owners, attention! - PentaxForums.com

FWIW, I would love to have a source for the diamond texture cover stuff. It looks classier than GripTac and would likely work real well.

Steve

01-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you still have the "SE" sticker, please sell it to me

Last edited by Moe49; 01-04-2018 at 05:07 PM.
01-04-2018, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Back to basics!
Welcome to the forum, just enjoy your new "camera" whether it be an SE or otherwise... just enjoy.
01-07-2018, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #10

Nice find, I like the look of that texture on the body.

Peter
01-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobphoenix Quote
The most difficult thing is going to find batteries for the on board meter system... (At least it is for me...)
Really? My local grocery store carries 3 packs of Energizer 357 SR44s...
01-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This one came in a lot I bought on shopgoodwill.com...

779xxxx serial #. Bump on top plate. No stickers though, either SE or Assembled in Hong Kong...The lens was an M 50/2, I think the K 55/1.8 looks nicer on it

01-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
If you still have the "SE" sticker, please sell it to me
haha! it's now stuck to my imac
08-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

haha! it's now stuck to my imac
haha - can you send me the sticker then
02-02-2019, 02:51 AM   #15

Hey guys,

since someone in the thread mentioned it'd be nice if a few more owners of this particular variety posted their gear, I'm going to post mine now

It's a Pentax K1000 SE (without the sticker though), Serial #7790814, featuring
- both the ASAHI and AoCo logos,
- the "Asahi Opt. Co." inscription on the upper rear side,
- this kind of puck left of the prism on the top plate,
- the split-screen and microprism viewfinder, and
- this particularly bespoken diamond-shaped leatherette.

My father got it as a gift from
my uncle in 1997, who bought it back in the late 1970s somewhere in the Chicago, IL, area.

For I read in various forums that some people picked their's from different shops in very different places, like somewhere in Arizona, Colorado etc., I highly doubt that this leatherette is a custom job, but rather a very seldom variant right from the factory.

Cheers and greetings from Germany
AP
Attached Images

Last edited by Alepy; 02-02-2019 at 04:16 AM.