Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New Pentax owner, switched over from Canon

Hi everybody I've just decided against buying a new Canon digital camera on account of I can't stand how they try to force people to buy expensive glass and instead opted to buy a Pentax K200D. The LCD screen has better resolution than any Canon product I've ever tried out and the fit of the parts is a lot better too but I need a wide angle lense. I've bought Sigma lenses before but the consensus on the lens models I bought was that sample variation was an issue. Is this the case with the Sigma 10-20mm for Pentax? I can't seem to find an appropriate forum to ask questions about 3rd party lenses. Also, in a pinch can it be used on a 35mm film camera? Any help pointing me in the right direction will be appreciated. My Flickr gallery has a lot of the pictures I've taken so far: Flickr: tstracy39's Photostream

08-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might, depending on your budget, consider the Pentax DA 12-24. It is a fine lens. There are a few shots from it on my Flickr site. The distortion is not out of line, and the flare is under quite good control, in my opinion.
08-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I know that kind of sales pitch. If a customer is not buying a L glass, the service standard just plummets.

I had my pentax gear and lenses via internet purchase. So I do not have to deal with these salesman who pretends to know everything.

Welcome to the forum and sigma 10-20mm will do a good job for most landscape or exagerated protraits, candids etc.
08-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Welcome into the fold. There have been quite a few posts re the Sigma 10-20. I have just got one and love it. The consensus seems to be that it is a very good lens. I think one or 2 people have had bad copies (I know one that had to wait until his third copy to get a good one).

08-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum!
You might want to check out the Third-party lens database here to get a better idea of people around here like this lens:
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM (AF Lens)

Also check the SLR lens discussion section. We don't limit our discussions to Pentax-branded lenses by any means. Most of us around here are definitely not brand snobs; we just want whatever will work best for our shooting needs, whether the lenses be Pentax brand or 3rd party.

Heather