Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2018, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from India!

Hi everyone--

Today I decided to join this amazing forum - though I've been watching this forum for many years now. I bought a Pentax MX-1 last year, and just yesterday bought the amazing K5ii. I've been a Canon shooter for over 10 years, and have used a variety of M42 Pentax lenses (the reason I've been visiting this forum for many years). Decided to jump ship after seeing Pentax quality - literally, putting Canons to shame (just a personal opinion having used that brand for 10+ yrs. Not to demean Canon as I've enjoyed their cameras as well, without knowing what Pentax had to offer for the money).

Well, hope to share some pics here from my new K5ii.

Cheers,
Naren

01-09-2018, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Naren

Welcome to the Forums Glad you decided to join us here
01-09-2018, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Naren,
Welcome to the forum. I am basically from India living in US. I am surprised that you moved from Canon to Pentax because it seems Canon lenses are more easily available in India when compared to Pentax. I am just going by Amazon.co.in. Back in 1997, when I was living in Bangalore i could not get FA 50 Macro locally. A friend of mine got it from B&H, he was living in US at that time. Any how good luck with your choice :-).
01-09-2018, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Namaste from Australia Naren, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Good to have you here.

01-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
Hi Naren,
Welcome to the forum. I am basically from India living in US. I am surprised that you moved from Canon to Pentax because it seems Canon lenses are more easily available in India when compared to Pentax. I am just going by Amazon.co.in. Back in 1997, when I was living in Bangalore i could not get FA 50 Macro locally. A friend of mine got it from B&H, he was living in US at that time. Any how good luck with your choice :-).
Oh, forget Pentax lenses, getting the camera itself is a headache here. I've been wanting to jump ship since 2013, but held myself from doing so looking at Canon/Nikon's presence in India, and Pentax's near absence I bought an MX-1 last year, and I was floored by the image quality (in good light of course) and the no-frills menu. Even in low-light, I've taken very good shots with the 'night handheld' mode where it takes 3 shots and merges them. The camera is slow to anybody's liking, but 'm happy with its performance (to the price I paid). Plus, it has fantastic glass!

I had a Canon 600D (T3i) prior to this. I compared some pics from this MX-1 and the 600D, and strangely, the MX-1 looked so much nicer and sharper to me. Sold off the Canon for a good price. The next obvious choice was Nikon, but somehow their entry-level cameras' build quality didn't appeal to me. I bought the K5ii at a price much lesser than the D500 or the Canon SL2 (200D). It was a great deal and the K5's build quality is superb. I don't like the kit lens build though - super clunky.
01-09-2018, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narenvaidee Quote
Oh, forget Pentax lenses, getting the camera itself is a headache here. I've been wanting to jump ship since 2013, but held myself from doing so looking at Canon/Nikon's presence in India, and Pentax's near absence .
I too could not get anything in k-mount and it was very frustrating. Younger generation is happy with their phones and pads so SLR user base is not going to grow anytime and that means lack of availability of cameras, lenses and accessories is going to continue. I think in this situation having something like Amazon helps.
01-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, lenses are sparse and super expensive here. I still have a Canon 40mm STM lens. Will it work well with a suitable adapter on Pentax? Is it even worth doing this exercise?

01-09-2018, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by narenvaidee Quote
Yeah, lenses are sparse and super expensive here. I still have a Canon 40mm STM lens. Will it work well with a suitable adapter on Pentax? Is it even worth doing this exercise?
AFAIK, no and no. If you want to save money, you can use M42 and manual K-mount lenses with your Pentax DSLR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2018, 01:25 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Narenvaidee, welcome.
There is an active Pentax user group here now, with all lenses available. We are in touch with the main Ricoh guys here, and they are very good people. Pm me your phone number, and I'll get you added to the Pentax users Whatsapp group.
There are 3 users of the DA560 also.
01-10-2018, 03:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AFAIK, no and no. If you want to save money, you can use M42 and manual K-mount lenses with your Pentax DSLR.
Thanks Adam! Will sell that Canon lens

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
Narenvaidee, welcome.
There is an active Pentax user group here now, with all lenses available. We are in touch with the main Ricoh guys here, and they are very good people. Pm me your phone number, and I'll get you added to the Pentax users Whatsapp group.
There are 3 users of the DA560 also.
Awesome Bhairav! Will pm you my number.

Can you believe, I'm having trouble registering my product on the warranty.ricoh.in. Gives multiple error messages...something as pointed as 'There's some application error...' and 'Enter valid serial number'...etc. Pentax India Facebook asked me to raise a query, and I got the same application error. Were you able to register new products on their website? They seem like an uninterested lot managing 'super-enthusiastic' customers.
01-11-2018, 02:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello Naren. Welcome to India Pentax uses (small but growing). I agree with Bhairav. The Ricoh India team is very helpful and go out of their way to make Pentax as competitive.
Last couple of years, they conducted Clickathon event for India users where we get to try (and buy) Pentax/Ricoh (GR) gears.
Where in India are you from?
BTW. Why not get KP or K70 or even K1. Not that K5ii is a bad camera (I have and enjoy K5iis myself)
01-11-2018, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Naren, welcome to the forum
01-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Hello Naren. Welcome to India Pentax uses (small but growing). I agree with Bhairav. The Ricoh India team is very helpful and go out of their way to make Pentax as competitive.
Last couple of years, they conducted Clickathon event for India users where we get to try (and buy) Pentax/Ricoh (GR) gears.
Where in India are you from?
BTW. Why not get KP or K70 or even K1. Not that K5ii is a bad camera (I have and enjoy K5iis myself)
Thanks Siva, I'm from Chennai, working in Bangalore. I already have a Pentax MX-1, and didn't want to invest much on a DSLR (wife said, why another camera, you already have one ); was hell bent on getting the cheapest Pentax with WR on it K5ii fits my bill. Is there any other subsection you guys hangout at?

This forum is a treasure trove of information!
01-12-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You can check out India Pentax users group on Facebook. There is an iPentax mailing list. Send a mail to Subash Jeyan to subscribe to it.
There are quite a few Pentaxian from Chennai (myself too) and Bangalore
01-13-2018, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.