Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

New to the Forum with Questions

Hello!
I am excited to be on here as one who has much to learn.
My K70 was a Christmas present. I had previously owned ( years ago ) a K1000. The reason my husband bought me this camera ( after owning others) was that I always loved my Pentax plus I already had manual lenses.
To my dismay I cannot figure out how to get the K70 to "read" or "register" with my manual lens. I have hunted all over the internet for this. I had hoped I could start using my new camera right away and learn as I went along. I cannot even get it to take a photo until this problem is solved. I am so hoping someone can help me and walk me through the steps,
Sincerely,
kbbagby

01-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi, and welcome !!

If you follow this link (and those contained within it), you should find a wealth of info designed to help you overcome that very issue. Best of luck - don't forget to post the results.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/359367-...ntax-dslr.html

Tony

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 01-20-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Forgot link (past my bedtime !)
01-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi kbbagby, welcome.

The K70 is a great camera. From what you say, I'm assuming that you had Pentax K or M lenses with the K1000; in other words that there is no A setting below minimum aperture on the lens' aperture rings. If this is the case then these lenses will indeed work on the K70, you just need to know how.

First, put the focus selector alongside the lens mount on the K70 to MF. Non-auto lenses must essentially be used in Manual exposure mode (M on the selector dial), so the next thing to do is go into the custom menus and make sure that the 'use aperture ring' option is enabled. Then, set the aperture you want to shoot at on the lens (the K70 normally sets aperture on the camera body with modern lenses, and those with A marked on the aperture ring). Focus manually, and then press the green button on the top plate. This causes the lens to stop down to the set aperture for an instant, during which time it sets the shutter speed for a correct exposure. Then press the shutter.

That should do it.

Last edited by microlight; 01-20-2018 at 02:35 PM.
01-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kbbagby Quote
Hello!
I am excited to be on here as one who has much to learn.
My K70 was a Christmas present. I had previously owned ( years ago ) a K1000. The reason my husband bought me this camera ( after owning others) was that I always loved my Pentax plus I already had manual lenses.
To my dismay I cannot figure out how to get the K70 to "read" or "register" with my manual lens. I have hunted all over the internet for this. I had hoped I could start using my new camera right away and learn as I went along. I cannot even get it to take a photo until this problem is solved. I am so hoping someone can help me and walk me through the steps,
Sincerely,
kbbagby
This guide outlines the steps and should answer all your questions:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-scre...ml#post1140019

The one linked on the post above is for A type lenses, which actually work a lot like modern lenses.

M and K lenses are a bit more tedious to use, so I'd recommend supplementing them with a modern zoom at some point, if you want such a lens for everyday shooting.

If you have any other questions about how to get started with your manual lenses, let us know!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia kbbagby, and welcome to the Pentax forums. The replies you have received already should see you happily snapping away in no time.
Any future help or advice you may need will be just as quickly given. Good to have you here.
01-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

this info might be helpful as you progress

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

reviews of lenses can be found under " lenses " above and of camera bodies under " cameras " above

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-70-review/introduction.html?src=lrdb
01-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I'll just say welcome to the forum, as I'm late to the table here.

01-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you! Manual Lens "first step" working

Thank You Micro Light!
Following your instructions worked!!!! I am going out today to begin learning more about my camera. At least now I can get started.
kbbagby
01-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum