Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #1

Tamron mirror lens on K1

Hi , I just joined this forum and was wondering if anyone has used a Tamron mirror lens on a K1? If so, how do you get it to work? I just got one from ebay and can't seem to get the shutter to fire.

01-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Somewhere in the menu is a tab that enables the K1 to shoot with manual lenses, read manual and activate that.
01-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frank Lepre Quote
Hi , I just joined this forum and was wondering if anyone has used a Tamron mirror lens on a K1? If so, how do you get it to work? I just got one from ebay and can't seem to get the shutter to fire.
Here's the guide:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Since those lenses have a fixed aperture, you can keep it in Av mode after you set the appropriate menu setting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-22-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yep, there are a couple threads with tutorials how to use manual lenses online. I think the gist of it should be:
a) Enable aperture ring (near the end of the Menu)
b) Mount lens
c) Select Av mode (and most other modes will default to Av. Only M will stay M, if you have a set ISO number)
d) Aim lens, select focus by hand, press shutter

You might also have to change Priority to Shutter Priority instead of Focus priority or some other. But I think this is not a problem with modern cameras

There are also some threads about mirror lenses. They are difficult to use, so you will probably need a tripod and enable 2 sec timer (to avoid button-press vibrations). And a deep lens hood greatly improves their performance, which is not amazing to begin with. So much so, that some users crafted their own lens hood for their mirror lenses. You can search for more threads about this. You can do a test of what a hood can do by using thick, black, non-glossy paper and tape it as a makeshift hood. Not all mirror lenses are the same and I think Tamron are actually some of the better ones (especially compared to no-name lenses you can find online)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-22-2018 at 03:37 PM.
01-22-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tamron mirror lens on K1
Welcome to the forum, enjoy using that lens once you get it fired up to go.
01-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used a Tamron 500mm mirror lens on a K-1, it gave fantastic results.
01-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
Tamron mirror lens on K1

Thank you everyone, for the replies, that was very helpful. My apologise for taking so long with the response, I had some login issues today.
01-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thank you everyone, for the replies, that was very helpful. My apologise for taking so long with the response, I had some login issues today.
No worries, glad we could help! Feel free to post a photo or two with that lens, probably really interesting!