Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #1

Lens Mount Identification...(Please Help)!!!

I have an Albinar No. 414725 lens.. and I'm trying to find an adaptor for it but I don't know what kind of mount it is. My camera ( Chinon CS4), has a M42 mount.

01-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a short abbreviation anywhere on the lens that might help? Say, maybe on the aperture ring next to the f-stop numbers? For instance some 3rd party lenses will say C/Y to indicate Contax/Yashica mount, or PK or PK/A for Pentax K mount.

Otherwise, could you post a picture of the mount-end of the lens? 414725 is most likely not a model number, rather a serial or production run number.
01-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

http://www.albinar-usa.com/

I am sure the friendly knowledgeable people here will come through for you

can you post a photo of the lens including all markings and the ends?

perhaps something to show size and your best guess as to length and weight?

other members ided a lens mount for me within minutes of my asking because they had photos to look at
01-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it is a bayonet mount lens you will probably not find an adapter for M42...If the camera had a bayonet mount, and the lens was M42, finding an adapter would be easy...

01-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome

Albinar USA

i am sure the friendly knowledgeable people here will come through for you

can you post a photo of the lens including all markings and the ends?

Perhaps something to show size and your best guess as to length and weight?

Other members ided a lens mount for me within minutes of my asking because they had photos to look at
[IMG]img_20180127_104812[/IMG]
01-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
Unfortunately I can't figure out how to post pics here yet. Instead of it sending me to my phone gallery it wants me to fill in a URL.
01-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shooter1 Quote
My camera ( Chinon CS4), has a M42 mount.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Assuming that the Albinar has a threaded rather than a bayonet mount, chances are good that it is M42 and will work with your camera. As noted above, a photo of the mount would be helpful. Lacking that, here is a question...
Does it have a silver pin protruding from the rear of the mount as in the photo below?

If so, it is almost certainly M42 and will work on your camera. The other options would be M39 (smaller diameter than M42 and originally for Soviet cameras) and T-mount. T-mount without adapter is the same diameter as M42, but has a a finer thread pitch and no silver pin. Most M42 lenses in circulation feature auto aperture actuation (the silver pin).

If the lens has a bayonet mount, it is not likely adaptable to your camera unless it is T-mount. T-mount lenses may be adapted to fit many different cameras and Albinar made several models in T-mount. I don't have time this morning to give a full description of how T-mount works, though the Wikipedia and Google are useful.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-27-2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Added paragraph about t-mount
01-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
The lens Mount isn't threaded. It has one little prong, but no threads. It appears that you would put the lens to the body of camera, and then turn it slightly to attach it. Again I apologise that I can't get pics on here.
01-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

From Wiki:

" The M42 lens mount is a screw thread mounting standard for attaching lenses to 35 mm cameras, primarily single-lens reflex models. It is more accurately known as the M42 × 1 mm standard, which means that it is a metric screw thread of 42 mm diameter and 1 mm thread pitch. (The M42 lens mount should not be confused with the T-mount, which shares the 42mm throat diameter, but differs by having a 0.75mm thread pitch.) It was first used in Zeiss' Contax S of 1949; this East German branch of Zeiss also sold cameras under the Pentacon name; after merger with other East German photographic manufacturers, the name Praktica was used. M42 thread mount cameras first became well known under the Praktica brand, and thus the M42 mount is known as the Praktica thread mount.[1] Since there were no proprietary elements to the M42 mount, many other manufacturers used it; this has led to it being called the Universal thread mount or Universal screw mount by many. The M42 mount was popularized in the United States by Pentax; thus, it is also known as the Pentax thread mount, despite the fact that Pentax did not originate it. -

M42 lens mount - Wikipedia

Pentax progressed to its K bayonet mount

other manufacturers either went to their own specific type of bayonet mount or produced lenses and sold them with matching mounts for the major camera makers

adapters were developed to allow a " cross match "
01-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to post pics here yet. Instead of it sending me to my phone gallery it wants me to fill in a URL.
Do you have a Flickr account? Or an account with some other Photo Sharing site?

It sounds like you have a bayonet mount lens. Best Products sold Albinar branded lenses in most of the common mounts.

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-27-2018 at 10:29 AM.
01-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #11

Original Poster
No. If someone wouldn't mind PMing me for my e-mail address, I can send pics that way.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-27-2018 at 01:32 PM. Reason: E-mail address removed for security reasons
01-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No. If someone wouldn't mind emailing me I can send pics that way.

Here are the photos Shooter1 sent me:

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMG_20180127_104812.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  92.5 KB

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMG_20180127_104820.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  100.6 KB

It looks to me like a Minolta mount, but I'm not sure which iteration - if it matters.

Also, here's a guide to uploading photos:
How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE - PentaxForums.com
01-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Look for "manage attachments" below the big reply button. That's for uploading photos directly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Sorry can't help with the lens identification, but welcome to the forum.
01-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Minolta MD. Notch and aperture connection on the rim distinctive. See

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

No use to man or beast, registration distance is too short .... well, some use to mirrorless (actually good choice of mount to adapt for cheap lenses with mirrorless).