Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #1

New member with new k1

Hi all! New to this forum but I've owned Pentax cameras for about 9 years. I recently purchased the k1, and I think I'm in over my head! I've always thought, when purchasing a new camera, buy what you can afford! I'm just an amateur photographer. I think what I've just purchased is a very expensive "point and shoot"! I still have my k7, so if I get too frustrated I'll just go play with it until I cool back down! I'm sure I'll have many questions.

Rose

02-02-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard Rose!

We have lots of helpful folks here that can help you learn that new camera.
02-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Welcome aboard Rose!

We have lots of helpful folks here that can help you learn that new camera.
Thank you! I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions, and googling a lot of the photography terms! My k7 was pretty simple to figure out. I'm not so sure about the k1! I haven't been able to transfer my pictures to my computer because the cable that was included with the camera doesn't fit! I'm impatiently waiting for the cable that I've ordered from B&H to arrive, so I can view my pictures!

Thanks for the welcome!
02-02-2018, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Rose, welcome to the forum

02-02-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. Check out this K-1 review. Lots of information that should help you understand your K-1:

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Welcome to the forum. Check out this K-1 review. Lots of information that should help you understand your K-1:

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thank you! I'll pin this to my favorites!
02-02-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, welcome to the forum. Lots of help here almost anytime you need it.

I would opt for transferring photos by carefully removing the SD card and using a card reader (get a good USB 3 card reader if your computer doesn't have one) with your computer. By carefully, I don't want to scare you, but just be sure you have your K-1 powered down and handle the card with respect, not touching it's contacts, etc. Just treat it with respect since it has your photos on it (and back it up from time to time). That's a far faster way to transfer since the cable is USB 2 which has limited speed (compared to USB 3 which wasn't adopted for the K-1).

The only difficulty I had was using an older computer which wasn't compatible with my larger card but that was when I was experimenting and expected that to happen so I didn't lose anything. I now use my dedicated lap top which has a built-in card reader so transfers are really simple.

The K-1 is daunting at first, but it's easy to learn and has a lot of features that make it easy to use once you understand them. Keep at it and it will start to become one of your favorite cameras - ever. You made the right choice in getting a K-1.

Last edited by Bob 256; 02-02-2018 at 10:03 PM.
02-02-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
02-02-2018, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

The ebook on the K-1 by Yvon Bourque is a lot better at teaching a person how to use the camera than the manual. I believe it is for sale through PentaxForums Marketplace. It downloads as a PDF and is inexpensive.
02-02-2018, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Rose Quote
I recently purchased the K1
Welcome, trust me it like all suddenly click like a light bulb moment, the K1 is a great bit of kit.
02-02-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The ebook on the K-1 by Yvon Bourque is a lot better at teaching a person how to use the camera than the manual. I believe it is for sale through PentaxForums Marketplace. It downloads as a PDF and is inexpensive.
it does appears that it is still being sold in the market place

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com
02-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #12
Closed Account

Hi from Australia Rose, and welcome to the Pentax forums and the lovely K-1. Good to have you here.