Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2018, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #1

Greetings new friends...

I found myself here about a week ago and after spending some time here reading various articles and reviews, was impressed.

I’m a “photographer enthusiast”, and even though I’ve never been to photography school per se, I’ve spent countless hours researching, reading and studying numerous articles and reviews over the past few years. After shooting APS-C (Nikon D7200) for a couple of years, last October I felt I had reached a point of arrival to invest in a Full Frame camera.

I considered the other Sony cameras, including the new A7r iii, but turned away. I also turned away from the Canons and Nikons...I know they have great reputations, but I held out believing could find a camera offering features on a more direct level in line with my photography, and more affordable.

About 2 weeks ago, I discovered the Pentax K-1 on various websites. While I was reading numerous reviews, I discovered the Pentax Forums. About one week later at work, I attended a 1 week CPE class, featuring Six Sigma in the training. The Six Sigma classes began with a video interview featuring Steve Jobs, describing some fundamental philosophical differences between a few Japanese companies and Western companies...Jobs held that high level differences pointed to Western companies investing heavily in marketing and advertising, with some Japanese companies invested heavily towards R&D...Jobs held that the companies who invested more towards design and quality control believed that the integrity, quality and value of their products would suffice to ensure a successful market share. Because these companies did not go overboard in marketing expense and advertising, they could build and offer a more creative and quality product, plus pass the additional savings down to their customers.

One of the first things I discovered here in the Forums, and appreciated, is the honest, objective, factual, “no bs”, scientific and practical approach in the reviews, all very helpful, thoroughly written and backed up with research. I also sensed the “connect” of the Pentax community here, which I really appreciated.

I downloaded the K-1 operating manual and was so pleased with the variety of creative, deep features and capabilities, all of which appeal to me the most in a camera, and at what I consider to be a fair and reasonable price. I had made up my mind. Today, as I was eagerly going on my retailer’s website to place my order, I came across another article discussing the rumors of Pentax possibly offering an upgraded version of the K-1...the K-1 Mk II...With the CP convention in Japan just a few weeks out, I decided to hold out to see what Pentax may unveil in the convention….I’ll bide my time and wait for awhile...If Pentax releases a Mk II version of the K-1, I’m on it (if the release is timely)...Regardless, the K-1 is the camera for me, and so is the Pentax mindset.Cheers����

Last edited by Blake Talon; 02-22-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: to abbreviate...
02-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blake Talon Quote
I found myself here about a week ago and after spending some time here reading various articles and reviews, was impressed.

I’m a “photographer enthusiast”, and even though I’ve never been to photography school per se, . . .

About 2 weeks ago, I discovered the Pentax K-1 on various websites. While I was reading numerous reviews, I discovered the Pentax Forums. . . .

One of the first things I discovered here in the Forums, and appreciated, is the honest, objective, factual, “no bs”, scientific and practical approach in the reviews, all very helpful, thoroughly written and backed up with research. I also sensed the “feeling” of the Pentax community here, which I really appreciated.

I downloaded the K-1 operating manual and found a plethora of creative, deep features and capabilities, all of which appeal to me the most in a camera, and with a fair and reasonable price. I had made up my mind. . . . old out to see what Pentax may unveil in the convention….I’ll bide my time and wait for awhile...If Pentax releases a Mk II version of the K-1, I’m on it (if the release is timely)...Regardless, the K-1 is the camera for me, and so is the Pentax philosophy and community.Cheers����
welcome

before you buy any equipment, check out the forum's offer if you choose to use one of its sponsors

FREE Marketplace Access if you shop at B&H, Adorama, or Topaz Labs - PentaxForums.com

and since you live in the US, if you want to spend some $ but not a tremendous amount, consider renting a K 1 before making your purchase

that way you can do your own evaluation first

LensRental.com is a company I have used, BorrowLenses.com is another one I know of

If you are looking for " experienced " equipment, check out the Market Place " buy/sell " here
02-06-2018, 07:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
welcome

before you buy any equipment, check out the forum's offer if you choose to use one of its sponsors

FREE Marketplace Access if you shop at B&H, Adorama, or Topaz Labs - PentaxForums.com

and since you live in the US, if you want to spend some $ but not a tremendous amount, consider renting a K 1 before making your purchase

that way you can do your own evaluation first

LensRental.com is a company I have used, BorrowLenses.com is another one I know of

If you are looking for " experienced " equipment, check out the Market Place " buy/sell " here

Thanks so much for sharing the info. Speaking of LensRental.com, I called the Pentax Support line last week and spoke with Bruce, who was very helpful and as well, he also referred this company to me. Appreciate your response👍👍
02-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Blake, from the UK. Good choice with the K-1, it's an excellent camera, and so is this mostly friendly community. You'll soon learn there are a few wasp nests, even here, but even when they're given a big kick, they rarely sting and normal civility returns quickly ...

02-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Welcome Blake, from the UK. Good choice with the K-1, it's an excellent camera, and so is this mostly friendly community. You'll soon learn there are a few wasp nests, even here, but even when they're given a big kick, they rarely sting and normal civility returns quickly ...
Thanks so much Barry..Have a great rest of your day
02-06-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi Blake, welcome to the forum. I really enjoy reading the journy many take before ending up with Pentax. I have many times become depressd with the photos i have taken and thought things would be better jumping to the dark side. i made the holy grail of mistakes and mentioned this on the forum. After recovering from the toung lashing and water boarding, i realized it was the photographer that was defective and short comming, no way it could be the many $K of Pentax camera gear i now own.
02-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Hi Blake, welcome to the forum. I really enjoy reading the journy many take before ending up with Pentax. I have many times become depressd with the photos i have taken and thought things would be better jumping to the dark side. i made the holy grail of mistakes and mentioned this on the forum. After recovering from the toung lashing and water boarding, i realized it was the photographer that was defective and short comming, no way it could be the many $K of Pentax camera gear i now own.
Greetings Brother...Thanks for dropping by to share a few lines...I'll be looking forward to sharing with you here and have a great rest of your day!
02-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Blake.
Kind regards,
Mark Jerling
(New Zealand)

02-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, K1 is a great piece of kit, just use it and see the results.
02-06-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum Blake.
Kind regards,
Mark Jerling
(New Zealand)
Thanks so much Mark...I appreciate you dropping by to share a good word and look forward to sharing with you here! Have a great rest of your day

---------- Post added 02-06-18 at 02:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, K1 is a great piece of kit, just use it and see the results.
Greetings Kerrowdown and pleased to make your acquaintance...Thanks so much for dropping by to share a good word and yes, undoubtedly I believe so too...and absolutely...looking forward to it Have a great rest of your day!
02-22-2018, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blake Talon Quote

I’m a “photographer enthusiast”, and even though I’ve never been to photography school per se, I’ve spent countless hours researching, reading and studying numerous articles and reviews over the past few years. After shooting APS-C (Nikon D7200) for a couple of years, last October I felt I had reached a point of arrival to invest in a Full Frame camera.

I considered the other Sony cameras, including the new A7r iii, but turned away. I also turned away from the Canons and Nikons...I know they have great reputations, but I held out believing could find a camera offering features on a more direct level in line with my photography, and more affordable.

About 2 weeks ago, I discovered the Pentax K-1 on various websites. While I was reading numerous reviews, I discovered the Pentax Forums. About one week later at work, I attended a 1 week CPE class, featuring Six Sigma in the training. The Six Sigma classes began with a video interview featuring Steve Jobs, describing some fundamental philosophical differences between a few Japanese companies and Western companies...Jobs held that high level differences pointed to Western companies investing heavily in marketing and advertising, with some Japanese companies invested heavily towards R&D...Jobs held that the companies who invested more towards design and quality control believed that the integrity, quality and value of their products would suffice to ensure a successful market share. Because these companies did not go overboard in marketing expense and advertising, they could build and offer a more creative and quality product, plus pass the additional savings down to their customers.

One of the first things I discovered here in the Forums, and appreciated, is the honest, objective, factual, “no bs”, scientific and practical approach in the reviews, all very helpful, thoroughly written and backed up with research. I also sensed the “connect” of the Pentax community here, which I really appreciated.

I downloaded the K-1 operating manual and was so pleased with the variety of creative, deep features and capabilities, all of which appeal to me the most in a camera, and at what I consider to be a fair and reasonable price. I had made up my mind. Today, as I was eagerly going on my retailer’s website to place my order, I came across another article discussing the rumors of Pentax possibly offering an upgraded version of the K-1...the K-1 Mk II...With the CP convention in Japan just a few weeks out, I decided to hold out to see what Pentax may unveil in the convention….I’ll bide my time and wait for awhile...If Pentax releases a Mk II version of the K-1, I’m on it (if the release is timely)...Regardless, the K-1 is the camera for me, and so is the Pentax mindset.Cheers����
Last night, when I saw the news in IG from Pentax regarding the release of the new K1 Mk II, I immediately pre-ordered mine from Adorama. I ordered it with the 28-105mm lens and received a complimentary battery grip with it. My follow up email stated that the possible shipping date would be 4/11/18.