Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #1

Hello from Australia

Hey Guys,

I'm Ben and here is my story, I have been into photography since highschool (1993-1997) and using a Pentax K-2 SLR while I was at school. Fast Forward a few years to 2005 I purchased my first Nikon DSLR and now I have 2 Nikon DSLR's, They are both D3200 Nothing special with there cropped sensors... BUT they are a great little workhorse for my needs.

Anyway what I am getting to is, while i was working for a skip bin mob here in Australia I came across a Pentax LX complete in it's bag, The Contents include: 3x SpeedLights, 1x 28mm Prime lens, 1x 70-210mm Telephoto lense, 1x 50mm Prime lens, 1x 100mm prime lens, 1x 35mm prime lens, 1x auto 2x teleconverter and some bits and bobs of stuff with it.

As I have no idea as to it's history I am unsure if it works, but being an old camera compared to a newer DSLR I feel as long as it winds on and releases the shutter it "SHOULD" work without a hitch.

Is there anything I should/could do in way of a service before I run a roll of film through it??

Here are a couple of shots of the camera in question.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D3200  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D3200  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D3200  Photo 
02-10-2018, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by psychorolla Quote
Is there anything I should/could do in way of a service before I run a roll of film through it??
I would at the very least take it to a reputable camera shop for a CLA - and possibly replace the light seals which may have degraded over time from lack of use.

A well known issue that the LX is prone to is the dreaded sticky mirror, where the mirror get stuck to the top of the mirror box and fails to return to its resting place. There are also common electrical issues with auto exposure - which can be expensive/impossible to repair.
02-10-2018, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. No matter what the condition of the LX turns out to be, those lenses will be useable on a modern Pentax DSLR (but not adaptable to Nikon).
02-10-2018, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Hi from Melbourne, and welcome to the Pentax forums. Excellent find. Good to have you here.

02-11-2018, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Looks like you've scored,nice fast 50...as well as the others.
02-11-2018, 02:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I would at the very least take it to a reputable camera shop for a CLA - and possibly replace the light seals which may have degraded over time from lack of use.

A well known issue that the LX is prone to is the dreaded sticky mirror, where the mirror get stuck to the top of the mirror box and fails to return to its resting place. There are also common electrical issues with auto exposure - which can be expensive/impossible to repair.
Not to sure on the electrical side of the camera but the mirror is a little sticky most of the time it drops back down into position but some times is gets stick up
02-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, a fine camera crying out in despair and hope, for a little TLC by a knowledgeable friend Pentax repair person.

02-11-2018, 04:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

Google f16 camera repairs. He is in Margate a northern suburb of Brisbane, Qld..

His telephone number is 07 3284 1588.

Should you ring him tell him that you got his telephone number from a member of this forum.

Regards.
02-11-2018, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Ben , welcome to the forum
02-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

Quite a find, that LX! The lenses are also nice.

If you want to shoot film, get the LX checked out. They are wonderful but there are a few long term reliability issues.
02-12-2018, 02:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

Google f16 camera repairs. He is in Margate a northern suburb of Brisbane, Qld..

His telephone number is 07 3284 1588.

Should you ring him tell him that you got his telephone number from a member of this forum.

Regards.
Thanks mate will do when I have some spare time soon.
02-12-2018, 03:00 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Welcome to the forum.

Quite a find, that LX! The lenses are also nice.

If you want to shoot film, get the LX checked out. They are wonderful but there are a few long term reliability issues.
Yeah thats the plan, as I said at the start of the post I have no idea how this camera was treated or stored, but have been able to wind it on and release the shutter.

The photos show as the camera was found.
02-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Neat find. Welcome from the midwest US. I'd take those lenses and try them on a Pentax DSLR. I have a Ricoh film camera I don't use any more. Not doing film any more. the lenses are still useful to me.