Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Any advice?
Keep the K-1 I just paid $1899 for? 1588.24%
Return it and wait for the price to drop (Will it be ~$1500 soon)? 211.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #1

First time Pentax owner! Received my K-1 and 24-70 2.8 today.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Phil and I just sold my Canon gear (6D, 16-35 F4, Sigma 50 1.4, 70-200 F4) and bought a K-1 along with the 24-70 2.8.

I ordered the camera and lens on Monday and received it today only to find out that it had been discontinued and it's successor's specs had already been leaked. Just my luck haha!

Anyway, as I said I have never owned or followed anything Pentax in the past so I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what I should do?

Since the Mark II is rumored to be $1999 and I just paid $1899 for the Mark I, should I return it and wait to either buy the Mark II for $100 more or see if I can get a Mark I for $1500 or so in a month or two?

I know this question is really best answered by me but maybe someone could tell me how quickly the older versions of Pentax cameras usually drop in price, if at all?

If I return the Mark I and wait 2 months just to save $100 I'm not really interested and would just as soon keep it, but if you think I might be able to get a new one for ~$1500 or so by spring, I'd be interested in saving the $400.

I know this is probably not the best way to introduce myself here on the forums but I appreciate any input some veteran Pentax owners might have!

Thank you!

02-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Phil. Tough question! Of course, with no hard facts it's a waiting game until CP+2018 which runs from Thursday, 1 March to Sunday, 4 March 2018. If I were you, I'd return it and I'd wait until then and see what's announced.
02-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum Phil. Tough question! Of course, with no hard facts it's a waiting game until CP+2018 which runs from Thursday, 1 March to Sunday, 4 March 2018. If I were you, I'd return it and I'd wait until then and see what's announced.
Thank you! I think that's probably the best idea, but it's going to be tough sending it back. I've only been using it for a few hours and it's just so nice compared to the 6D! The dampening of the shutter is amazing and the quick select dial is so intuitive... I wish I had bought it sooner so I wouldn't have to decide now haha!
02-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hang on to what you have. The mark 2 is a very small improvement, and I don't think it will push the price of the K-1 down at all. Plus, it won't be available for at least another month.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hang on to what you have. The mark 2 is a very small improvement, and I don't think it will push the price of the K-1 down at all. Plus, it won't be available for at least another month.
+1.

Do you speculate in the options and futures markets? Didn’t think so. It’s the same kind of bet, and you won’t have a camera while you wait. *

You’ll enjoy them - I promise!

* What happens to the price of K-1 (new ones will be in the system for several months) if the USD drops 20% vs. JPY by early May? HINT: It doesn’t decline . . .

Last edited by monochrome; 02-14-2018 at 07:43 PM.
02-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
welcome!

keep it. get out and shoot!
02-14-2018, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #7

I'd say keep it. The Pentax bodies seem to last about 2 weeks longer than forever. Like my old drill sergeant said, good enough is good enough and perfect is generally a PITA anyways.

02-15-2018, 12:59 AM   #8

You could spend all your money, and a lot of your life, buying the 'latest' camera, of whatever brand, the models change so frequently. I have a K1 and KP and a fair collection of lenses. They do what I want them to do, and they do it very well indeed. I could upgrade the K1, but what would happen when version 3 comes out? If I were you I'd just take pictures and enjoy the camera you have.
02-15-2018, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You received the product you ordered in perfectly good working condition?

Abusing a well-intentioned return policy to possibly save a few bucks in a few unspecified months is the sort of practice which makes me happy I don't work in retail.
02-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You received the product you ordered in perfectly good working condition?

Abusing a well-intentioned return policy to possibly save a few bucks in a few unspecified months is the sort of practice which makes me happy I don't work in retail.
L.L. Bean no longer offers a Lifetime No-Questions Return Policy because of this kind of abuse. Over 100 years trusting their customers. . . .
02-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
L.L. Bean no longer offers a Lifetime No-Questions Return Policy because of this kind of abuse. Over 100 years trusting their customers. . . .
LL Bean ended their lifetime return policy because people were buying used clothing at yard sales and then demanding that LL Bean give them a full refund for it...

I'm was simply concerned that a camera I just spent $1900 on yesterday might be $1500 in less than a month.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-15-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Keeping it friendly
02-15-2018, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

That did not go well....
This is not always the place for the thin skinned.
02-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

C'mon folks, let's keep this friendly and helpful, and welcome our new member
02-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicePhil Quote
I'm was simply concerned that a camera I just spent $1900 on yesterday might be $1500 in less than a month.
Welcome to the world of consumer electronics

Seriously though, If you thought the price was reasonable when you bought it, and you're planning to use it for 5 years, does it really matter?

On the bright side, lenses don't depreciate nearly as much, and you're sure to spend *way* more on them.
02-15-2018, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Welcome to the world of consumer electronics

Seriously though, If you thought the price was reasonable when you bought it, and you're planning to use it for 5 years, does it really matter?

On the bright side, lenses don't depreciate nearly as much, and you're sure to spend *way* more on them.
Yeah, I've decided to keep it and not worry about any upcoming price drops.

The K-1 is an amazing camera that, in all honesty, I could probably use for a decade and not outgrow so I'm fine with keeping it for $1900.

I got a K-1 and a 24-70 2.8 brand new for $200 more than a D810...

I guess it's a no brainier when you think about it that way as the Pentax, in my opinion, is the better body.