Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #1

Thank you for add and I have a screen question.

Hi all and thanks for add. I’m a new owner of a k70 and trying to learn how to use it (possibly unsuccessfully). Several times I get my screen looking like the photos I uploaded. I don’t even know what to search for for info if something is wrong. Is this something that can be rectified in settings or is there a defect in my camera? What is this even called? Hope someone can help me because if defective I need to send back for replacement. Thanks all.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo 
02-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That doesn't look normal to me. There might be a problem with one of the monitor's color channels. I would get the camera repaired or replaced.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome!
QuoteOriginally posted by dmrbrtsn Quote
Is this something that can be rectified in settings or is there a defect in my camera?
In the Menu you can choose different colour. But none of them are like that. That looks like a real problem, not something any settings can change. You can try doing a firmware update and seeing if the issue gets better or worse. But I would actually advise against this if you still have warranty. If camera is under warranty, have it replaced.
Hope someone can help me because if defective I need to send back for replacement.
I don't think anything can be done easily. Maybe some contacts are loose inside of the camera, maybe the board is failing, maybe the screen is broken.

I recommend you return the camera and demand a replacement. Not a repair. Say the camera came with a problem and you want what you paid for - a problem-free product. Shops often offer repairs instead of replacement, but repairs can take a long time. And they might not even fix the problem forever. Not to mention the risk of shipping, since often you need to send your camera to a remote location for repairs.

It is too bad you are experiencing that, but I think replacement is the best option. Repairs is second best. If you don't have warranty, you can try firmware update or opening the camera and checking the contacts. There are some threads or online posts about people who "fix" their camera LCD screen, but it is not easy, it voids warranty, and it might not fix your problem in this case.
02-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Welcome!

In the Menu you can choose different colour. But none of them are like that. That looks like a real problem, not something any settings can change. You can try doing a firmware update and seeing if the issue gets better or worse. But I would actually advise against this if you still have warranty. If camera is under warranty, have it replaced.

I don't think anything can be done easily. Maybe some contacts are loose inside of the camera, maybe the board is failing, maybe the screen is broken.

I recommend you return the camera and demand a replacement. Not a repair. Say the camera came with a problem and you want what you paid for - a problem-free product. Shops often offer repairs instead of replacement, but repairs can take a long time. And they might not even fix the problem forever. Not to mention the risk of shipping, since often you need to send your camera to a remote location for repairs.

It is too bad you are experiencing that, but I think replacement is the best option. Repairs is second best. If you don't have warranty, you can try firmware update or opening the camera and checking the contacts. There are some threads or online posts about people who "fix" their camera LCD screen, but it is not easy, it voids warranty, and it might not fix your problem in this case.
Thank you for response. I tried a firmware update as there was/is one available per Pentax CS but it would never work. I can’t even reset settings back to original. I’m in the process of returning it and now can’t decide whether to purchase another k70 , another Pentax model or go with another brand completely. I’m a little gun shy now. Is the k70 really a good camera or is another Pentax better thank70? I’m replacing a 10 yo ist dl2 which is still in perfect working order. My sigma 70-300 stopped working so I decided to replace the whole thing and have several Pentax lenses and wanted to use them. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again.

02-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That doesn't look normal to me. There might be a problem with one of the monitor's color channels. I would get the camera repaired or replaced.
Yes definitely doesn’t look normal to me either. I tried everything in settings to no avail. It will work fine for a couple pics then back to this. So disappointed. Thanks for response.
02-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
Welcome!

Yes I did that. I actually chose a light pink or peach but then this green took over. Thanks for response.
02-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I’m a little gun shy now
I totally understand that. I never had big problems with my Pentax gear and have been using it for years. A lot of people have good experience with Pentax, but some have bad experience. And some have bad experience with Canon, Nikon... You can check online for "common problems" of certain camera models. It even happens to the top level cameras that cost thousands. Obviously this is Pentax Forums and most people here have a positive attitude to this brand. (btw green screen problems like yours are not common, at least looking at threads on this forum)
The choice must be yours. I think Pentax gives you best bang for the buck and Pentax makes quality products. But everyone can have bad luck and I cannot guarantee that you won't get another dud. Sometimes something can happen to the shipping to a certain location or something.
All I can say is good luck, hope you get a camera that works well - whatever brand or model you choose

02-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
I totally understand that. I never had big problems with my Pentax gear and have been using it for years. A lot of people have good experience with Pentax, but some have bad experience. And some have bad experience with Canon, Nikon... You can check online for "common problems" of certain camera models. It even happens to the top level cameras that cost thousands. Obviously this is Pentax Forums and most people here have a positive attitude to this brand. (btw green screen problems like yours are not common, at least looking at threads on this forum)
The choice must be yours. I think Pentax gives you best bang for the buck and Pentax makes quality products. But everyone can have bad luck and I cannot guarantee that you won't get another dud. Sometimes something can happen to the shipping to a certain location or something.
All I can say is good luck, hope you get a camera that works well - whatever brand or model you choose
Thank you and yes i loved my ist dl2. A local photograhy store recommended it. When I called a couple weeks ago to see if they still carried Pentax i learned they had stopped. Don’t know if being bought out by Ricoh had any bearing on that. Which Pentax do you have? I also purchased the pentax 55-300 lens so if i change brands i have to return that also. Don’t really want to do that.
02-17-2018, 04:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Which Pentax do you have?
I now have only old K-r and K-01 (would not recommend simply due to age, otherwise nice cameras). Only thing that broke is the flash on the K-r, and I think its because I fried it with a third party hotshoe flash. Everything is working for me. But almost every camera has a % of failures. Some people had problems with the K-01's dial falling off. Some people had problems with aperture block in K-30. I have not seen many reports about K-70 or KP problems. K-70 seems to have great image quality, from the samples I have seen. And that green screen looks like a loose or broken contact, something that can happen due to falls or transportation vibrations.
Lenses, too. Some people go through 2, 3 returns of a lens until they get one of top quality. And not just with super cheap lenses.

If I were in your shoes I would have the camera replaced for another one of the same model. And ask about extended warranty. Then do some tests with it immediately to determine if it is good or not.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-17-2018 at 05:04 AM.
02-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, oh dear, that doesn't look to be a happy camera to me.
02-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for response. I tried a firmware update as there was/is one available per Pentax CS but it would never work. I can’t even reset settings back to original. I’m in the process of returning it and now can’t decide whether to purchase another k70 , another Pentax model or go with another brand completely. I’m a little gun shy now. Is the k70 really a good camera or is another Pentax better thank70? I’m replacing a 10 yo ist dl2 which is still in perfect working order. My sigma 70-300 stopped working so I decided to replace the whole thing and have several Pentax lenses and wanted to use them. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again.
I would stay with Pentax

You can go up to " Cameras " above and find reviews of various Pentax cameras and a comparison tool to get info side by side

Members here are friendly and willing to help with opinions but we need more information from you to be really helpful

A idea of what you are looking to spend

Currently in production or not

New or " experienced "

How do you plan on using it, what do you want to photograph

Good luck
02-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #12

That really looks like a defect. I've had my K-70 for about 15 months now and am incredibly happy with it. I've only compared it to a Canon Rebel and the Canon isn't even in the same class.