Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2018, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Hiya from Downunder ( Australia)

hey all!

I'm old, grumpy and have that silly old man sense of humour which most people find offensive!

Having recently retired I decided to get myself a nice DSLR to take pictures with as I am unhappy with the results of my little Samsung happy snapper and my phone.

Back in the stoneage when I was a lad, I had a Spotmatic F and than an ME super both of which I loved so I naturally gravitated back to Pentax, and after a bit of research and price comparison I got onto a K200D as an entry level DSLR, it was also AU$100.00! came with 2 lenses a SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED and SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II, so hopefully I will get many happy hours snapping away at birdlife, Fungi , Landscapes and animals!

I hope to learn much and if I ask too many silly questions, best you deal with it!

02-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Welcome laurie02!
I'm sure you will learn plenty here, I loved the K200D as long as the iso was kept down, great little camera.

Last edited by DreTAX; 02-19-2018 at 05:04 AM.
02-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day Laurie, and welcome to Pentax Forums. You'll find a lot of fellow Aussies here, some even closer to the South Pole than you are...

Regardless, many of us here started with film Pentaxes, and naturally graduated to their DSLRs. You have an excellent starter kit there, as DreTAX says, provided you don't push the ISO too far - I still have my K20D, although it doesn't get much use these days. As you're retired (welcome to the club) you'll have less incentive to go and start spending on other kit, but I'm sure you'll find the urge to look, at least.

You'll find lots of help here, so don't think you need to restrain your questions.
02-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks DreTAX and RobA_OZ and thanks for your welcome and kind words,
Already I'm scanning Ebay and Gumtree to see whats out there! lol.
I wonder if any K mount lenses will fit a DSLR even the older 35mm film ones, and, if so, are there any limitations?

Cheers

02-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by laurie02 Quote
Thanks DreTAX and RobA_OZ and thanks for your welcome and kind words,
Already I'm scanning Ebay and Gumtree to see whats out there! lol.
I wonder if any K mount lenses will fit a DSLR even the older 35mm film ones, and, if so, are there any limitations?

Cheers

Hey Chris, welcome to the clubhouse.

Just about any k mount lens ever made can be used, although there may be some limits to functionality, such as no auto focus, manually setting aperture, and such.

Using M42 thead moutns with an M42 to PK adapter will require stop down metering.

Oh, and there is something about certain lenses with the Ricoh pin, but I forget which ones specifically. Someone here should chime in though, or you can search the forum for ricoh pin.

Cheers,
Racer
02-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
G'day Laurie, and welcome to Pentax Forums
HI Laurie,RobB is late to say hello...its RobAs twin bro(they share a body).

I still own those 2 film bodies you had AND the emergency camera in the car is a 200D with 18-55 and 50-200,both WR in case i'm out with my mirrorless unsealeds.

I see you are down there deep in Mekico,nice scenery for landscapes,that CCD sensor of 200D will get you some great shots!
02-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Racer X 69 and thanks for the info too!

02-18-2018, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

( australia)
oy oy oy!
02-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
02-18-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. There is a big Oz contingent here and lots of us are old and cantankerous.

As Racer X 69 said, just about any (Pentax) K mount is fine and a lot of them are very, very good. Just take care with Ricoh, for the reasons given. You can also use screw mount (M42) lenses with a suitable adapter. That opens up a world of old Zeiss glass and other interesting things. Both the kit lenses you have are good though. Don't get trapped into thinking something else would necessarily be better.
02-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks PJ1
My next lens is a Macro, so I'm on the lookout for one, hence the question, I will mainly be shooting Fungi/plants/blossoms/ nuggets I find prospecting !

Anyone have any suggestions? I will do this in conjunction with a tripod so I don't have to get down on my knees (Keep it clean people!) so at a distance Macro would be awesome!
02-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. I had a Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II also. It is capable of taking excellent pictures. I later wanted a zoom with more range, so I sold the 18-55 and got a Pentax 16-85. But as I said, the 18-55 has great capability.
02-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you C_Jones I'm hoping both lenses are good!

I'll try to get out this week with them to just click away at everything to see what type of results I get, to find the best distances and speed, focal length and , just....have fun!
02-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only K mount lens that won't work on the K200D is the DA 55-300mm f4.5-6.3 PLM.

Thanks PJ1
My next lens is a Macro, so I'm on the lookout for one, hence the question, I will mainly be shooting Fungi/plants/blossoms/ nuggets I find prospecting !

Anyone have any suggestions? I will do this in conjunction with a tripod so I don't have to get down on my knees (Keep it clean people!) so at a distance Macro would be awesome!
Welcome Laurie, from another Victorian.

As for the macro lens, it sounds like a macro around 90-105mm would suit you best. The gold standard is the current model, the Pentax D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR - they run for about $500 or so second hand. If that's a bit pricey, really any of the earlier Pentax 100mm macro lenses will do very well (here's a manual focus one from the A series, asking $250: Pentax Lense | Lenses | Gumtree Australia Morphett Vale Area - Flagstaff Hill | 1173206910). Other good macros include the Tamron 90mm (here's one asking $350: Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 Lens Pentax Mount | Lenses | Gumtree Australia Hornsby Area - Hornsby | 1174920693) and the Sigma 105mm.

There are also Pentax 35mm and 50mm macros available. With those shorter focal lengths, to get true 1:1 macro you need to get a lot closer to the subject. I got an FA 50 f2.8 macro for about $120 - it's a very sharp lens, but I don't use it as much for macro as the DFA 100.

You'll find the term "macro" bandied about a bit - Sigma is particular offender, calling zoom lenses "macro" when they are nothing like it.

People try all sorts of ways to do macro shooting on the cheap, using diopters, extension tubes, lens reversal and other tricks. This might give you some ideas: Macro by any means necessary club - PentaxForums.com You'll find lots more on the forum about macro and shooting fungi and plants if you look around.
02-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Thank you C_Jones I'm hoping both lenses are good!

I'll try to get out this week with them to just click away at everything to see what type of results I get, to find the best distances and speed, focal length and , just....have fun!
That is a way to discover methods that are effective for you and it gives you experience.

Happy shooting!