Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome to PF.

I had a K-30 which had the same sweet sensor. But if you crop a lot the 24mp sensor in the K-3 is even better. There are plenty of affordable used K-3 models out there too. They have similarly rugged build to the K-5 series, but better AF, better metering and some extra features. The K-5 series cameras also won't work with the DA 55-300 PLM, which is the fastest-focusing lens Pentax has ever made.
only the following Pentax camera bodies will work with the DA 55-300mm ED PLM WR RE

K 1, K-3, K-3 II, K-50, K-70, K-S1, K-S2

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

02-24-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
only the following Pentax camera bodies will work with the DA 55-300mm ED PLM WR RE K 1, K-3, K-3 II, K-50, K-70, K-S1, K-S2
And the K-P.

The K-30 can also be made to work with a firmware hack (at the user's own risk).

AFAIK, no-one has come up with a solution for any of the K-5 series, and it seems increasingly unlikely that Pentax will release a firmware update for those cameras that allows the 55-300 PLM (or any future PLM lens) to work.
03-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMHO Sony produces very innovative products but tend to not be very durable. That's too bad really.

I can assure you the K5 series is VERY durable. My K5 has been banged around a LOT, and still functions great. It's my backup or second camera now, but I'm not selling it.